would it be in bad taste?

wmsb72673

hey all,

A local national public radio show is having a singer song writer contest. to enter you have to write an original song about our hometown, charleston, wv. I thinking about calling it CRW, our airport code, ala YYZ. I'm thinking about using CRW in the lyrics, having it be the "hook" of the song. what do you people think. is it blaesphemy towards rush? rush is my biggest musical influence. where's the line between using that influence and ripping them off?? I can hear it now "dude, man, just ripped off rush with that title, you suck!!". ya think???

thoughts people please.

2.gif

confused13.gif

Don't see a problem - Acknowledged influences are commonplace in art (Rush have been influenced by a raft of people).

If the tune were a rip off, it would be another story, but then again, singing to CRW in a morse code based rhythm could be difficult.

Good Luck!!

I would say it sort of goes over the line if you played the riff in to the rhythm of "CRW" in morse code, but, as far as just using the airport code goes, go for it! It's more like homage to Rush than ripping them off. 2.gif

I totally agree. Go for it. have fun with it and its not ripping them off but paying respect to them in my book.

Archived