Official Joe Bonamassa Thread

Maverick

I know Joe, though I haven't seen him in a few years. He grew up in the town next to me and I was know his dad very well. He is a really down to earth guy and always willing to talk guitar. One time when I was trying out a precision in his dad's old shop, Joe came in with an old esquire and sat down and fired off some licks while I was noodling around. He is cool that way. First time I saw him play he was 13 and I was 19. He was playing stuff like SRV's Tin Pan Alley and I was ready to take my guitar and throw it in the fireplace. I'm so glad to see that he is getting the recognition he deserves.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Nov 20 2010, 08:31 AM)
I know Joe, though I haven't seen him in a few years. He grew up in the town next to me and I was know his dad very well. He is a really down to earth guy and always willing to talk guitar. One time when I was trying out a precision in his dad's old shop, Joe came in with an old esquire and sat down and fired off some licks while I was noodling around. He is cool that way. First time I saw him play he was 13 and I was 19. He was playing stuff like SRV's Tin Pan Alley and I was ready to take my guitar and throw it in the fireplace. I'm so glad to see that he is getting the recognition he deserves.

trink39.gif

That's awesome that you knew him back then. I need to meet him at a future concert before his star rises too far and he begins playing much larger venues.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 21 2010, 06:24 PM)

It's a nod to Jimi Hendrix:

Venus Isle = Electric Ladyland

Well that's where you and me differ on EJ; ever since I heard Eric on steve Morse's stand up and especially when I got Tones in 1986, I've enjoyed his vocals and his vocal songs. I think it fits his music, the clean chords, the soaring leads just go together well with Johnson's light, very un-texan-like vocals...

If he did join a band who would you want to do vocals?

Somebody who can sing...

laugh.gif

I haven't really given it much thought beyond the premise.

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 21 2010, 06:29 PM)

Well that's where you and me differ on EJ; ever since I heard Eric on steve Morse's stand up and especially when I got Tones in 1986, I've enjoyed his vocals and his vocal songs. I think it fits his music, the clean chords, the soaring leads just go together well with Johnson's light, very un-texan-like vocals...

Somebody who can sing...

laugh.gif

EJ's vocals are cool!

cool.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 21 2010, 06:31 PM)

Somebody who can sing...

laugh.gif

EJ's vocals are cool!

cool.gif

1287.gif

I like him on some songs. Trail of Tears, Shape I'm In. Those are good songs.

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 21 2010, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 21 2010, 06:31 PM)

Somebody who can sing...

laugh.gif

EJ's vocals are cool!

cool.gif

1287.gif

I like him on some songs. Trail of Tears, Shape I'm In. Those are good songs.

fair enough mate...

trink39.gif

A few shots from when I saw him earlier this year at The Byron Bay Blues Festival. Fantastic show.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/shiftydog/JB1.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/shiftydog/JB8.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/shiftydog/JB6.jpg

Joe came home and met up with people at the local music store down the street from me. His parents live in the next town over from me. I had prior family commitments (Christmas Eve), but he gave away one of his Epiphone versions of the 57 LP goldtop and played a bit. Wish I could have made it, it would have been good to see him again.