Official Joe Bonamassa Thread

Maverick

I've seen some mention of Joe around these parts, but I thought I'd start a thread devoted to his music.

Joe has been working steadily on his solo career for about the last ten years. He has released 9 studio albums, 3 live albums, and 3 concert DVD's. Hehas said on Facebook that he's cut the tracks for his next solo album over the summer, and hopefully that will be released sometime next spring.

Earlier this year he co-founded the band Black Country Communion with singer/bassist Glenn Hughes , drummer Jason Bonham, and keyboardist Derek Sherinian. They released their debut CD on September 23rd. They are already talking about returning to the studio to write and record their second album this winter.

So if you are looking for new music from an extraordinary talent, he could very easily be the source. His entire back catalog only goes back ten years, but there is so much to take in.

Joe has a very liberal recording policy at his shows, and as a result, there is a wealth of YouTube videos out there displaying his amazing talent.

• Like 1

First up is a live version of Joe's cover of Jethro Tull's "A New Day Yesterday." This was the title track of Joe's first album in 2000. This video is from the Live At Rockpalast DVD recorded in 2005. There is also an almost identical version recorded in 2001 for the "A New Day Yesterday Live" Cd/DVD.

A New Day Yesterday

• Like 1

The United States Congress declared 2003 to be The Year of the Blues. To commemorate this, Joe Bonamassa's 3rd album, Blues Deluxe, would feature 12 blues songs, making it Bonamassa's first all blues album.

The title track was an old Rod Stewart/Jeff Beck song from Jeff Beck's Truth album.

This video is an amateur recording during Bonamassa's 2007 tour. The performance is simply breath taking, and should really just speak for itself.

• Like 1

Last year Bonamassa played the Royal Albert Hall, something which had been a goal of his since he was a child. This video features two songs. The first is a cadenza called India. This merges seamlessly into a staple of Bonamassa's live performances, the ballad Mountain Time.

India/Mountain Time

• Like 1

Here's a really cool video from a few years ago where Joe talks about his effects board. Having seen him in concert recently, I can tell you that a lot of these pedals have been discontinued in favor of other sounds. But its an awesome snapshot of what he was using at the time.

Bonamassa Pedal Board

• Like 1

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 14 2010, 09:44 PM)
I've seen some mention of Joe around these parts, but I thought I'd start a thread devoted to his music.

Joe has been working steadily on his solo career for about the last ten years. He has released 9 studio albums, 3 live albums, and 3 concert DVD's. Hehas said on Facebook that he's cut the tracks for his next solo album over the summer, and hopefully that will be released sometime next spring.

Earlier this year he co-founded the band Black Country Communion with singer/bassist Glenn Hughes , drummer Jason Bonham, and keyboardist Derek Sherinian. They released their debut CD on September 23rd. They are already talking about returning to the studio to write and record their second album this winter.

So if you are looking for new music from an extraordinary talent, he could very easily be the source. His entire back catalog only goes back ten years, but there is so much to take in.

Joe has a very liberal recording policy at his shows, and as a result, there is a wealth of YouTube videos out there displaying his amazing talent.

About fukking time! I have all of his cds. Just picked up the live Blu-Ray too.

Blues Genius who has the torch.

BCC rules too.

Signed,

BOC wink.gif

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 15 2010, 03:48 AM)
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/joe_bonamassa_guitars_amps.jpg

Joe's gear. A Little something for everyone!

1022.gif

That's just .....beautiful.

QUOTE (The Maples @ Nov 15 2010, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 15 2010, 03:48 AM)
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/joe_bonamassa_guitars_amps.jpg

Joe's gear.  A Little something for everyone!

1022.gif

That's just .....beautiful.

Much like Chris Matthews when Obama speaks - that picture sends a thrill up my leg!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 19 2010, 02:31 PM)
I've heard that Glenn Hughes is already writing songs for a second Black Country Communion album...

trink38.gif

That's awesome! I read a couple of weeks ago that BCC was looking at going back to the studio to write and record after the New Year, so that seems to match up. I'd like to see Derek Sherinian play a large role in their sound. It was cool that their first album was a Classic Rock sounding album. But I'd like to see them get a bit more of a modern sound on their next album. Sherinian was in Dream Theater for a few years, you knows how to play something other than a Hammond B3 and a Mellotron.

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 19 2010, 03:29 PM)
I've heard that Glenn Hughes is already writing songs for a second Black Country Communion album...

trink38.gif

That's awesome! I read a couple of weeks ago that BCC was looking at going back to the studio to write and record after the New Year, so that seems to match up. I'd like to see Derek Sherinian play a large role in their sound. It was cool that their first album was a Classic Rock sounding album. But I'd like to see them get a bit more of a modern sound on their next album. Sherinian was in Dream Theater for a few years, you knows how to play something other than a Hammond B3 and a Mellotron.

Yeah Derek is mostly in the background except for a few solos on the last few tunes. I know him from his solo albums (where he features a guitarist who's who from Allan Holdsworth to Zakk Wylde to Yngwie to steve stevens) and Planet X...

Hopefully like you said he'll have a more prominent role on the next BCC album...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 19 2010, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 19 2010, 03:29 PM)

trink38.gif

Yeah Derek is mostly in the background except for a few solos on the last few tunes. I know him from his solo albums (where he features a guitarist who's who from Allan Holdsworth to Zakk Wylde to Yngwie to steve stevens) and Planet X...

Hopefully like you said he'll have a more prominent role on the next BCC album...

Black Country was written and recorded very quickly - four guys in a room, very few takes, almost zero overdubs. While I loved the results, I know they can produce something much better if they gave it more time and thought. If they just keep churning out old school classic rock albums, people are liable to just say, "Who cares?"

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 19 2010, 04:00 PM)
It's great to hear him say that. I loved the results they got as well. I think the album sounds great, and the songs are really strong as well.

Yeah, Joe is very good a little Eric Johnson in the solos, a little Iommi/Page in the riffage to put it simplistically...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 19 2010, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 19 2010, 04:00 PM)
It's great to hear him say that.  I loved the results they got as well.  I think the album sounds great, and the songs are really strong as well.

Yeah, Joe is very good a little Eric Johnson in the solos, a little Iommi/Page in the riffage to put it simplistically...

trink38.gif

Joe has been sounding a lot like Eric Johnson in his solos recently. It seems he's really stepped it up, especially live. He just loves that one speedy passage so much.

And why not use it? Its not like Eric Johnson is doing anything now.

eyesre4.gif