The Walking Dead

vital signz

Anyone catch this last night? Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

My son kept asking me to watch this with him and I was like---you are kidding me right???

Gotta say it was excellent. If you can catch it you should. I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen. It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

I'd give it a 8-9 out of 10 easily.

• Like 1

I thought it was excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing how things unfold. The zombie genre has been done to death, hopefully The Walking Dead[i/] will build on the premiere and become something special. It looks like they're going for character development, which is good.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 1 2010, 08:35 AM)
Anyone catch this last night? Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

My son kept asking me to watch this with him and I was like---you are kidding me right???

Gotta say it was excellent. If you can catch it you should. I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen. It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

Better than 28 days later? Not even close. I made it through the first 40 minutes. Seen it all before.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 4 2010, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 1 2010, 08:35 AM)
Anyone catch this last night?  Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

Gotta say it was excellent.  If you can catch it you should.  I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen.  It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

Better than 28 days later? Not even close. I made it through the first 40 minutes. Seen it all before.

I still don't think the 28 days/weeks later creatures are zombies since they're still alive (just rabid).

Anyways, I'd definitely be up for watching The Walking Dead

Watched this on replay last night. Like any show's beginning (and the fact that it's set when MANY people are dead...and that most of the cast are slow moving zombies doesn't help), it's a bit slow...but still, I like the premise a lot and can see the potential in this.

I didn't come away with that initial fascination with the characters like I did watching the first episodes of Mad Men, Sons Of Anarchy, LOST, or Breaking Bad...but it's merely one show and I expect to become far more engrossed by the actors, so I'm going to definitely give this 2 or 3 more weeks of my time. It certainly has the potential with its cool premise and unflinching graphic nature. Where can't this show go?

I was impressed by the struggle of the man who's going back and forth on killing his wife. I also was compelled with how that scene was cross cut with the main character's empathy for the legless zombie in the park. That scene was NICELY done. If there's more of that to come, I'm down....

The FX and violence are top notch. It's as if Romero's films were now a TV show.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Damn fine show. I really liked both episodes so far. It's very character driven; a trait that's sorely lacking in most Zombie movies/shows/video games. AMC can do no wrong.

Can't wait for next week's episode!

I'm gonna have to come clean and admit that I've never understood the popularity of zombie films. I mean they're all the same, a bunch of (foolish) people trying to survive an apocalyptic situation with a bunch of badly made-up extras lurching after them. And let's face it, once you've seen Romero, the rest are paler than the zombie make-up they paint on their faces...

confused13.gif

Despite reading on other sites that this episode was slow (re: not loaded with cool zombie killing shit on a high order...therefore 'I was bored'), it was probably the best of the first three episodes. Still, I have to contend again that these people are pretty much walking stereotypes....which is different from an archetype, something a show like LOST had. That's the quality that separates the wheat from the chaff.

I'm also a bit bummed now that a show like this get rave reviews (and that's cool -- I dig it myself) and viewership....and Rubicon gets cancelled. UGH!!!!! It's Freaks & Geeks all over again, for another genre....

Anyhow, best of the three so far I think...and still showing character promise.

Needs better writing.

The Walking Dead is not great. But, it's good, good enough to hold my interest week from week. When I think about it, it's probably as good as a "zombie show" can be. I haven't read the comic book, but as I understand it, it also wasn't very original. Hopefully, the show will take its own direction and grow into its own. I do think the potential is there. Anyway, I like the show, but that's about it.

What I do know is, it's better than anything the supposed Godfather of zombie films can do nowadays. George A. Romero hasn't made a good zombie film in past 25 years.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 16 2010, 11:32 AM)
The Walking Dead is not great.  But, it's good, good enough to hold my interest week from week.  When I think about it, it's probably as good as a "zombie show" can be.  I haven't read the comic book, but as I understand it, it also wasn't very original.  Hopefully, the show will take its own direction and grow into its own.  I do think the potential is there.  Anyway, I like the show, but that's about it. 

I agree with this.

It could transcend average and become truly sublime if it was just more sophisticated. You can tell it tries hard to achieve that, but doesn't. (writing)

Last night's episode was pretty good. But, I can't shake the feeling and opinion that The Walking Dead, so far, is a missed opportunity. I like it, but it's not very original. There's not one thing unique to the series. It's very derivative, but again, it's not bad. I so wanted this show to be GREAT. Anyway, I'll take it as it is and I'll be watching it again next week.