The Walking Dead

vital signz

How long was Morgan with Eastman? Cause it takes years to get really proficient with that stick , the way he uses it now. I just don't see training with a passive vegetarian for a year or two could make you some f***in ninja. And akido isn't really all that effective as a self defense, not like say, Muay Thai or BJJ.. The scenes of them training on the shoreline were cheesy abd very karate kid like.. But overall, was a decent episode.

To be fair, Morgan was already proficient when it was a pointed stick.

He has to be dead or the show has jumped the shark. Who's internal organs were being feasted on? Who is coming to rescue Glen from that hoard? He is dead.

***LIKELY MILD SPOILERS BELOW***

That sissy Nicholas is on top of him. I suspect he's the one getting eaten. I would bet Glenn is going to crawl under the dumpster, maybe even into it (as there might be some sort of crack, hole, or hatch). Somehow get out later (does he still have his radio? will he run another smear campaign to trick the zombies?).

The "is Glenn dead?" episode seemingly had multiple purposeful echoes to the first season.... newbies to the zombie world experience, an RV, a herd, an injured hand (that is probably going to get whacked off this season), getting locked up in a shop with a horde outside, Glenn referring to Rick as "dumbass" over a radio, etc. Remember Rick facing eminent doom in downtown Atlanta and crawling under the tank... then into it? I would be willing to bet Glenn in the dumpster will be part of that echoing.

The story seems to be "back to the beginning". I think that is because they are about to embark on all new horrors of a whole other level and the writers are trying to be artsy about it. Translation: Negan is coming. The Whisperers are coming. The really, really, REALLY dark stuff in the comics hasn't yet happened is coming (although I don't think it will be nearly *that* dark - more on that in a minute).

And, really, let's be honest. This is a show about zombies. The entire premise of the show jumps the shark! But the show has specifically jumped the shark of ridiculousness in its plot lines many, many times already.... the CDC episode is a great example... Carol going Rambo at Terminus is another.... I could go on and on. The need to suspend logic to accept the plotline of the show is nothing new because, again..... zombies.

I would suggest, though, the writers are getting a bit too loose with the construct of the show in the context of the comics. They are trying to have their brains cake and eat it too. They are trying to say it is an alternate universe, so don't expect it to play out exactly like the comics.... but they are also trying to pretend the show has the darkness and courage of the comics. It doesn't.

For example, the TV governor was a straight up choir boy as compared to the comic governor. As a result, Judith is still alive on the show (also partly because the writers know the average TV viewer can't stomach that kind of story line - America can't really accept a truly distopian model on TV).

One of the hallmarks of the comic books is it has the courage to kill off the most beloved of characters (sometimes in horrendous ways) in an attempt to have some worldly reality in an unreal plot line. The TV franchise wants us to believe they have the same hutzpah. Again, they don't. Glenn may eventually die, but they are toying with people in the meantime. He's alive for now.

Now, if they kill of Daryl anytime soon, I will gladly come back to this post and mea culpa. But we all know they won't.

• Like 1

Hopefully Daryl will die soon too.

I like Daryl's character. He's the embodiment of the notion in a lot of zombie fiction that those with seemingly menial and less valued skill sets in the regular world have invaluable skill sets in the zombie world (this was a key theme in World War Z... the excellent book... not the mediocre movie version).

But, at the same time, I would giggle uncontrollably if they had the courage to kill him off because the outrage on the internet would be so entertaining.

But, yeah, they won't do it. He's the franchise at this point. If they kill Daryl the effectively kill the show. It's the same reason Ross and Rachel didn't get together until the end of Friends!

• Like 2

Hopefully Daryl will die soon too.

Why would you want that? This survival world is a perfect fit for him.

I think Rick, Carl, Daryl, Michonne and Carol are in this show until the end. The writers would have to come up with some really great stuff to justify killing any of them off at this point.

I don't mind the slow burn (hell, Blade Runner is just about my favorite movie) and I don't need mindless action, but the last episode just wasn't interesting to me at all. It definitely didn't need ninety minutes. And the Glenn thing...he probably isn't dead because this show can be dumb as f**k, but he should be. Feels like the show is breaking it's own rules if he lives.
  • Like 1

The show is a guilty pleasure at best. On its best day it rises to *good* TV, but that's only because the writing and acting standard is pretty low compared to itself. I have always thought this about TWD, which is why I find the nitpicks hilarious because it's exceptionally average on the whole. It's a bit like complaining about the quality of frozen fish sticks to me. :D Were it a great show slumping that would be another thing, but it's never been consistently fantastic television. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2

NEW SEASON STARTED:

Sasha using Hazards while driving. I laughed for 10 minutes, thanks for warning the other drivers.

When u see it, u will understand

How is this season shaping up so far? Good episode?

Yes it was a great episode. The hazard flashers helped attract the zombies.

The point was emphasized over and over again...Let's create sounds.

Daryl revving the engine..it was all about sounds.

They mentioned nothing about displaying a visual for the walkers

I think the hazards were a funny mistake....

Did Daryl have HIS flashers on- NO....Anyway, the kindness she showed other drivers was awesome..

They shot a lot of flares.

The show is a guilty pleasure at best. On its best day it rises to *good* TV, but that's only because the writing and acting standard is pretty low compared to itself. I have always thought this about TWD, which is why I find the nitpicks hilarious because it's exceptionally average on the whole. It's a bit like complaining about the quality of frozen fish sticks to me. :D Were it a great show slumping that would be another thing, but it's never been consistently fantastic television.

Agreed completely. That's why I gave up on TWD and turned to Mad Men.

Now THAT is outstandingly great drama, and the acting is superb, at worst.

When I was binge watching this show over the last few weeks, I really enjoyed the establishing episodes like the one we had last night. Now that I'm caught up, I can feel why they're so frustrating when you have to wait a week to see what happens next.
  • Like 1

How to Parent According to Nutjobs was a great episode...Yawn

SPOILER ALERT -DON'T READ AHEAD- ...OH it does not matter nothing happened

Glenn is dead and Maggie will have to kill zombie Glenn...that's why she went thru all of that. She knows deep down he is dead, and briefly wanted to die alone...now she has a buddy in Aaron. This show has always introduced NEW people you don't really like at 1st, Aaron is one of those people.

But in reality....EASILY, the worst episode in awhile. So many plot gaps it's hard to remember them all. Rick's escape from the RV, Rick's hand, Rick's apparent disregard of the Wolves' attack, all IGNORED. Rick never asked "HEY WHAT HAPPENED HERE?".....Ron looks like a new actor to me (maybe wrong but he sure looked different), Ron and Carl's silly dispute over Enid (who pretty much no one else cares about). Nobody blaming Rick for bringing the walkers back to Alexandria after all his big talk? No sign of Michonne, Morgan and Carol. Rick apparently unconcerned/ or unaware that Morgan has the Wolves' leader locked in a drywall room, secured with a screen door. No mention of Carol's observation that someone, probably inside, marked the Armory with that "A". No body-count so we don't know just how many people were killed/captured by the Wolves. No plan to try to rescue those captured , NO plan to lead the walkers away from Alexandria... (since when has Rick ever not gone after/attempted to rescue hostages?). 5 main characters missing for hours, no plan to go after them. Rick's kiss with the Blonde broad, meaningless.......The doctor is a lesbian also (totally pointless given the dire situation at hand, we knew eventually Tara would find someone but why now?). I could go on, but this was the most poorly plotted episode in awhile....

• Like 1

No plan to try to rescue those captured , NO plan to lead the walkers away from Alexandria... (since when has Rick ever not gone after/attempted to rescue hostages?). 5 main characters missing for hours, no plan to go after them. .

Have they ever had a plan other than to wander around and kill zombies?

No plan to try to rescue those captured , NO plan to lead the walkers away from Alexandria... (since when has Rick ever not gone after/attempted to rescue hostages?). 5 main characters missing for hours, no plan to go after them. .

The main plan is to survive and killing zombies is the biggest part of that.

As for why there was no plan to try and get the ones left behind or lead the zombies away from Alexandria? After what happened why not give Rick some time to settle himself down and come up with a plan? If you've been watching the show for this long now, you know not everything is solved in one episode and that they do slow burns to get to the big payoffs. Rick may indeed be coming up with a plan, I think he is, and it will be revealed in the next few episodes. Let things play out, not every single issue needs to get solved by the time an episode is over.

It's kind of hard to lead the walkers away from Alexandria when they can't even get outside the wall because of it. Even when Aaron and Maggie went through that secret path, walkers were there to greet them at the exit. They may have to wait for Daryl, Abe and Sasha to get back and lead them away since that would be easier.

It still may be a few episodes before we see walker Glenn. I'm guessing the mid season finale is when Maggie will find him and have to kill him.

The show is a guilty pleasure at best. On its best day it rises to *good* TV, but that's only because the writing and acting standard is pretty low compared to itself. I have always thought this about TWD, which is why I find the nitpicks hilarious because it's exceptionally average on the whole. It's a bit like complaining about the quality of frozen fish sticks to me. :D Were it a great show slumping that would be another thing, but it's never been consistently fantastic television.

Agreed completely. That's why I gave up on TWD and turned to Mad Men.

Now THAT is outstandingly great drama, and the acting is superb, at worst.

Enjoy it while you can because Mad Men goes off the rails and becomes tiresome as well.

Speaking of tiresome...mostly bored again.

How to Parent According to Nutjobs was a great episode...Yawn

SPOILER ALERT -DON'T READ AHEAD- ...OH it does not matter nothing happened

Glenn is dead and Maggie will have to kill zombie Glenn...that's why she went thru all of that. She knows deep down he is dead, and briefly wanted to die alone...now she has a buddy in Aaron. This show has always introduced NEW people you don't really like at 1st, Aaron is one of those people.

But in reality....EASILY, the worst episode in awhile. So many plot gaps it's hard to remember them all. Rick's escape from the RV, Rick's hand, Rick's apparent disregard of the Wolves' attack, all IGNORED. Rick never asked "HEY WHAT HAPPENED HERE?".....Ron looks like a new actor to me (maybe wrong but he sure looked different), Ron and Carl's silly dispute over Enid (who pretty much no one else cares about). Nobody blaming Rick for bringing the walkers back to Alexandria after all his big talk? No sign of Michonne, Morgan and Carol. Rick apparently unconcerned/ or unaware that Morgan has the Wolves' leader locked in a drywall room, secured with a screen door. No mention of Carol's observation that someone, probably inside, marked the Armory with that "A". No body-count so we don't know just how many people were killed/captured by the Wolves. No plan to try to rescue those captured , NO plan to lead the walkers away from Alexandria... (since when has Rick ever not gone after/attempted to rescue hostages?). 5 main characters missing for hours, no plan to go after them. Rick's kiss with the Blonde broad, meaningless.......The doctor is a lesbian also (totally pointless given the dire situation at hand, we knew eventually Tara would find someone but why now?). I could go on, but this was the most poorly plotted episode in awhile....

definitely some nit picking going in there. It's a comic book.

• Like 1

As for why there was no plan to try and get the ones left behind or lead the zombies away from Alexandria? After what happened why not give Rick some time to settle himself down and come up with a plan? If you've been watching the show for this long now, you know not everything is solved in one episode and that they do slow burns to get to the big payoffs. Rick may indeed be coming up with a plan, I think he is, and it will be revealed in the next few episodes. Let things play out, not every single issue needs to get solved by the time an episode is over.

It's kind of hard to lead the walkers away from Alexandria when they can't even get outside the wall because of it. Even when Aaron and Maggie went through that secret path, walkers were there to greet them at the exit. They may have to wait for Daryl, Abe and Sasha to get back and lead them away since that would be easier.

It still may be a few episodes before we see walker Glenn. I'm guessing the mid season finale is when Maggie will find him and have to kill him.

IMO the show would be much more interesting (and realistic) if there was a long-term plan. Like establishing a stable community that had some sort of rock solid defense against both walkers and evil humans. And perhaps establishing some sort of a communication with other survivors or trying to come up with a cure. I still don't know what caused the outbreak. I think it would be nice to have that information.

• Like 1

That last episode of The Walking Dead was sum bull Tai Shan. Based on the decomposition of the solider, no way those cigars were smokable. They would be too dry, burn fast and taste harsh. This show has jumped the shark.
  • Like 1

IMO the show would be much more interesting (and realistic) if there was a long-term plan. Like establishing a stable community that had some sort of rock solid defense against both walkers and evil humans. And perhaps establishing some sort of a communication with other survivors or trying to come up with a cure. I still don't know what caused the outbreak. I think it would be nice to have that information.

They've had several long term plans but everything ends up going to hell. Every time they try to establish any sense of normalcy, something always screws up and they've got to start over again.

As for communication, it's hard to do that when power and phone lines are dead. Also, anyone with a cell phone or some other kind of portable device more than likely either lost it when everything started or have had the batteries die on them. Walkie talkies are good for communicating over short distances but it would be hard to get contact with any survivors who are far away.

The survivors are down to the bare bones now and have been for a while now. All the stuff you're talking about would be too hard at this point. The prison was the safest place they could be, it had everything they could possible want to live a peaceful and somewhat normal life. But that got destroyed with a tank by the Governor. No matter what kind of plan you have in place, there's really no way to defend that.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

They've had several long term plans but everything ends up going to hell. Every time they try to establish any sense of normalcy, something always screws up and they've got to start over again.

As for communication, it's hard to do that when power and phone lines are dead. Also, anyone with a cell phone or some other kind of portable device more than likely either lost it when everything started or have had the batteries die on them. Walkie talkies are good for communicating over short distances but it would be hard to get contact with any survivors who are far away.

The survivors are down to the bare bones now and have been for a while now. All the stuff you're talking about would be too hard at this point. The prison was the safest place they could be, it had everything they could possible want to live a peaceful and somewhat normal life. But that got destroyed with a tank by the Governor. No matter what kind of plan you have in place, there's really no way to defend that.

Ever heard of a ham radio? ;)

Everything goes to hell because the writers make it that way. Dysfunctional characters dealing with emotional problems along with a lack of organization and planning are the reasons everything goes to hell. If I was writing the screenplay for this, I would have them come up with a plan and carry it out.

There was an episode where a walker was on the other side of a river and someone says not to worry because walkers can't swim. Shortly after that the walker tries to cross the river and gets carried away. I sort of took that as foreshadowing as to them building some kind of a community with a moat or some kind of a water barrier to protect them. Then I thought that all they would have to do is to find a small island close to the mainland where they could build a community and try to find others using a radio. I think that this would be more interesting than to rehash the same depressing BS every season where they always end up losing people and progressively being worse off than before. It sort of reminds me of the survivors of Gilligan's Island trying to get rescued every episode but without the comedy.

It's a television show about a freakin' zombie apocalypse! It's far from being a brilliant television show, but I really don't think that's the point. It's a fun show, albiet of the "fast food" variety. Nitpick away, it's fun. Heck, an overweight vegan got me going! But keep it in perspective. It's a silly television show that, for the most part, entertains. That's good enough for me.
  • Like 5

It's a television show about a freakin' zombie apocalypse! It's far from being a brilliant television show, but I really don't think that's the point. It's a fun show, albiet of the "fast food" variety. Nitpick away, it's fun. Heck, an overweight vegan got me going! But keep it in perspective. It's a silly television show that, for the most part, entertains. That's good enough for me.

I think it could be a much better television show. I liked the first few seasons, but it's getting really old. The only reason I continue to watch it is because my wife likes it and we don't have a lot in common when it comes to watching TV.

I think it could be a much better television show. I liked the first few seasons, but it's getting really old. The only reason I continue to watch it is because my wife likes it and we don't have a lot in common when it comes to watching TV.

Yeah, it would be great if it was a better television show. But it is what it is and I enjoy it enough to keep watching.

• Like 2