The Walking Dead

• Please log in to reply
1273 replies to this topic

#21 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

Got the 3rd episode saved on the DVR.  Hopefully tonight!   trink39.gif  

Sponsored Post

#22 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

Despite reading on other sites that this episode was slow (re: not loaded with cool zombie killing shit on a high order...therefore 'I was bored'), it was probably the best of the first three episodes.  Still, I have to contend again that these people are pretty much walking stereotypes....which is different from an archetype, something a show like LOST had. That's the quality that separates the wheat from the chaff.

I'm also a bit bummed now that a show like this get rave reviews (and that's cool -- I dig it myself) and viewership....and Rubicon gets cancelled.  UGH!!!!!  It's Freaks & Geeks all over again, for another genre....

Anyhow, best of the three so far I think...and still showing character promise.  

Needs better writing.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 16 November 2010 - 08:04 AM.

#23 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

The Walking Dead is not great.  But, it's good, good enough to hold my interest week from week.  When I think about it, it's probably as good as a "zombie show" can be.  I haven't read the comic book, but as I understand it, it also wasn't very original.  Hopefully, the show will take its own direction and grow into its own.  I do think the potential is there.  Anyway, I like the show, but that's about it.  

What I do know is, it's better than anything the supposed Godfather of zombie films can do nowadays.  George A. Romero hasn't made a good zombie film in past 25 years.

#24 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 16 2010, 11:32 AM)
The Walking Dead is not great.  But, it's good, good enough to hold my interest week from week.  When I think about it, it's probably as good as a "zombie show" can be.  I haven't read the comic book, but as I understand it, it also wasn't very original.  Hopefully, the show will take its own direction and grow into its own.  I do think the potential is there.  Anyway, I like the show, but that's about it. 

I agree with this.

It could transcend average and become truly sublime if it was just more sophisticated.  You can tell it tries hard to achieve that, but doesn't.  (writing)  

Edited by Presto-digitation, 16 November 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#25 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

Last night's episode was pretty good.  But, I can't shake the feeling and opinion that The Walking Dead, so far, is a missed opportunity.  I like it, but it's not very original.  There's not one thing unique to the series.  It's very derivative, but again, it's not bad.  I so wanted this show to be GREAT.  Anyway, I'll take it as it is and I'll be watching it again next week.

#26 Enemy Within 77

Enemy Within 77

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2462 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 29 2010, 03:44 PM)
Last night's episode was pretty good.  But, I can't shake the feeling and opinion that The Walking Dead, so far, is a missed opportunity.  I like it, but it's not very original.  There's not one thing unique to the series.  It's very derivative, but again, it's not bad.  I so wanted this show to be GREAT.  Anyway, I'll take it as it is and I'll be watching it again next week.

Yeah, I like it but it's just your typical zombie movie stretched out into a series.

#27 Presto-a RUSH fan!

Presto-a RUSH fan!

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1512 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

Did anyone else want that blond whose sister was killed to also get killed???  She was annoying the shit out of me staring at her sister waiting for her to wake up and become a zombie.  I was hoping she would bite her right in the face!  And also, her crying scene from last weeks episode was so over the top I almost fast forwarded.

All that said, I do like this and am glad it was picked up for a second season.

#28 vital signz

vital signz

Médico en La Villa

• Members *
  • 5375 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 16 2010, 12:00 PM)
The Walking Dead is not great.  But, it's good, good enough to hold my interest week from week.  When I think about it, it's probably as good as a "zombie show" can be.  I haven't read the comic book, but as I understand it, it also wasn't very original.  Hopefully, the show will take its own direction and grow into its own.  I do think the potential is there.  Anyway, I like the show, but that's about it. 

I agree with this.

It could transcend average and become truly sublime if it was just more sophisticated.  You can tell it tries hard to achieve that, but doesn't.  (writing)

I think it started out good, and is falling off quickly..... sad.gif  

#29 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 30 2010, 10:47 PM)

I agree with this.

Thats why i stopped watching after the first episode.

#30 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

Interesting, indeed.

#31 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:36 AM

finished watching the 3rd episode right now (gotta love the ON DEMAND), loving the show so far....  one thing about this episode that's bothering me.. a minor gripe..  

(Minor Spoilers Below)

Rick and the others are going back into the city to save the racist guy stuck on the roof from the previous episode.......... I get that, Id want my conscience clear on that front too, and it's the right thing to do......but Rick cannot get any of the others to agree with him......until he mentions the bag of guns to the group, and then suddenly they are behind Rick's trip back to Atlanta.  

That is what bothered me.......GUNS....... YOUR ARE IN THE DAMN SOUTH!... Why go back into a city crawling with zombies for guns when you could break into any 4 houses in a rural area and find at least 1 house with a huge gun case......with plenty of ammo.... going into the city after the guns makes no sense as an excuse.... saving a mans life is an excuse, but that's not what convinces everyone else to agree with Rick... the Guns do that....  

#32 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

I agree with this.

I think it's actually getting better, finally!   biggrin.gif  Funny how that works.  Still not a great show, but I have some degree of concern for some of them now.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 02 December 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#33 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 2 2010, 08:22 AM)

I agree with this.

I think it's actually getting better, finally!   biggrin.gif  Funny how that works.  Still not a great show, but I have some degree of concern for some of them now.

Last week's episode and the premiere are the best episodes up to this point.  Last week I finally sensed some desperation and conflict between the characters.  Hopefully the season finale will set up something worthwhile.

Apparently Darabont has fired the writing staff and is considering going freelance for the writing next season.  

The problems with this series are glowingly apparent, maybe next season The Walking Dead will find its own way.

It's not a great television series by any stretch of the imagination, but it's certainly not bad.  My fingers are crossed for the season finale and next season.

#34 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 2 2010, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 2 2010, 08:22 AM)

I agree with this.

Last week's episode and the premiere are the best episodes up to this point.  Last week I finally sensed some desperation and conflict between the characters.  Hopefully the season finale will set up something worthwhile.

Apparently Darabont has fired the writing staff and is considering going freelance for the writing next season.  

The problems with this series are glowingly apparent, maybe next season The Walking Dead will find its own way.

It's not a great television series by any stretch of the imagination, but it's certainly not bad.  My fingers are crossed for the season finale and next season.

Me too.

I say "remember Seinfeld" and how that's show's writing began to improve after the premiere season.  Not sure if those rumors are true, but it's the ONE area the show in need of improvement...so bring it on.

If this show was in the hands of JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof, it wouldn't be sputtering around.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 02 December 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#35 Victoria's Ladder

Victoria's Ladder

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1053 posts
  • Interests:Music, Video games, Collecting things, Taking care of my cat. lol Pretty boring I know..

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

My boyfriend and I have been pretty addicted to this show! Very entertaining.

#36 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 2 2010, 01:36 AM)
finished watching the 3rd episode right now (gotta love the ON DEMAND), loving the show so far....  one thing about this episode that's bothering me.. a minor gripe..  

(Minor Spoilers Below)

Rick and the others are going back into the city to save the racist guy stuck on the roof from the previous episode.......... I get that, Id want my conscience clear on that front too, and it's the right thing to do......but Rick cannot get any of the others to agree with him......until he mentions the bag of guns to the group, and then suddenly they are behind Rick's trip back to Atlanta.  

That is what bothered me.......GUNS....... YOUR ARE IN THE DAMN SOUTH!... Why go back into a city crawling with zombies for guns when you could break into any 4 houses in a rural area and find at least 1 house with a huge gun case......with plenty of ammo.... going into the city after the guns makes no sense as an excuse.... saving a mans life is an excuse, but that's not what convinces everyone else to agree with Rick... the Guns do that....

I see your point, and initially, I thought, "Yeah!  Just go house raiding, and you'll find all you need."

But then I thought, what if all or most of the privately owned guns were all grabbed and used during the first few weeks of the Zombie Apocalypse?  I think its pretty reasonable to expect that, in the South especially, everyone grabbed their guns when the outbreak started.

#37 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

There only being six episodes was a big problem.  There was no real story arc and no connection to the characters.  A few episodes were very good, but they felt "unfinished".  I can't help thinking what is this show about?  What's the theme?  Very unfocused, but full of potential.  I like the show and my fingers are crossed next season and 13 episodes will do the premise justice.  As for grading the first season, I'd give it a C+ or a very generous B-.

#38 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 8 2010, 06:51 PM)
There only being six episodes was a big problem.  There was no real story arc and no connection to the characters.  A few episodes were very good, but they felt "unfinished".  I can't help thinking what is this show about?  What's the theme?  Very unfocused, but full of potential.  I like the show and my fingers are crossed next season and 13 episodes will do the premise justice.  As for grading the first season, I'd give it a C+ or a very generous B-.

Same

#39 Khan

Khan

In a GIFfy

• Members *
  • 15447 posts
  • Location:Actual location changes many times per hour normally.
  • Interests:Milsurp rifles

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

Anyone else stoked about the new season?  This show KICKS ASS!

#40 Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2114 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (Khan @ Aug 26 2011, 10:06 AM)
Anyone else stoked about the new season?  This show KICKS ASS!

I'm excited except the main character (whatever the cops name is) has left the show. I'm also excited they are doing 13 episodes this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users