• Please log in to reply
1273 replies to this topic

#1 vital signz

vital signz

Médico en La Villa

• Members *
  • 5375 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

Anyone catch this last night?  Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

My son kept asking me to watch this with him and I was like---you are kidding me right???

Gotta say it was excellent.  If you can catch it you should.  I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen.  It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

I'd give it a 8-9 out of 10 easily.

Sponsored Post

#2 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18671 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

I thought it was excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing how things unfold.  The zombie genre has been done to death, hopefully [i]The Walking Dead[i/] will build on the premiere and become something special.  It looks like they're going for character development, which is good.

#3 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 11062 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

Watched it last night and loved it. I'm in for the long haul.

#4 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

It's on our "On Demand" right now, so I'm hoping to watch it tonight.  Have heard nothing but raves.  smile.gif

#5 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 1 2010, 08:35 AM)
Anyone catch this last night?  Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

My son kept asking me to watch this with him and I was like---you are kidding me right???

Gotta say it was excellent.  If you can catch it you should.  I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen.  It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

Better than 28 days later? Not even close. I made it through the first 40 minutes. Seen it all before.  

#6 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 4 2010, 02:13 PM)
Anyone catch this last night?  Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

Gotta say it was excellent.  If you can catch it you should.  I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen.  It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

Better than 28 days later? Not even close. I made it through the first 40 minutes. Seen it all before.

I still don't think the 28 days/weeks later creatures are zombies since they're still alive (just rabid).  

Anyways, I'd definitely be up for watching The Walking Dead

#7 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:14 AM

Watched this on replay last night.  Like any show's beginning (and the fact that it's set when MANY people are dead...and that most of the cast are slow moving zombies doesn't help), it's a bit slow...but still, I like the premise a lot and can see the potential in this.

I didn't come away with that initial fascination with the characters like I did watching the first episodes of Mad Men, Sons Of Anarchy, LOST, or Breaking Bad...but it's merely one show and I expect to become far more engrossed by the actors, so I'm going to definitely give this 2 or 3 more weeks of my time.  It certainly has the potential with its cool premise and unflinching graphic nature.  Where can't this show go?

I was impressed by the struggle of the man who's going back and forth on killing his wife.  I also was compelled with how that scene was cross cut with the main character's empathy for the legless zombie in the park.  That scene was NICELY done.  If there's more of that to come, I'm down....

The FX and violence are top notch.  It's as if Romero's films were now a TV show.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 04 November 2010 - 08:20 AM.

#8 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 4 2010, 12:41 AM)
Anyone catch this last night?† Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

Gotta say it was excellent.† If you can catch it you should.† I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen.† It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

I still don't think the 28 days/weeks later creatures are zombies since they're still alive (just rabid).  

True. They aren't Zombies in the classic sense, but the comparison was made to it.

I  feel 28 Days Later set the new standard for all the " zombie " movies of the last decade though.  

#9 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18671 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 4 2010, 10:01 PM)
Anyone catch this last night?† Frank Darabont directed (The Shawshank Redemption) this.... ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

Gotta say it was excellent.† If you can catch it you should.† I think it was better than any George Romero films I have ever seen.† It was certainly better than 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later... Hell, it was the best Zombie film/show/whatever you want to call it, that I have ever seen.

True. They aren't Zombies in the classic sense, but the comparison was made to it.

I  feel 28 Days Later set the new standard for all the " zombie " movies of the last decade though.

Can you really compare two movies to a premiere of a television show?  I guess so.  Anyway, I think The Walking Dead premiere is a very good start and shows great potential for growth and exploration.  I like the characters, so far.  That's the key.

#10 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 4 2010, 09:01 PM)

I agree.  I like the first film, not so much 28 Weeks Later...or whatever that was called.  But I liked this viral zombie approach, with goons that don't just plod around.  That film was pretty thrilling to me.

#11 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

Hoping for a better episode this week.

#12 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18671 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:19 PM

Okay, I officially like this show.

#13 Ted Barchetta

Ted Barchetta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1550 posts
  • Interests:I love playing bass and drinking iced tea.<br><br>Pretty Girls are nice too.<br><br>So are computers that work. And flat-screen televisions too.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

Damn fine show. I really liked both episodes so far. It's very character driven; a trait that's sorely lacking in most Zombie movies/shows/video games. AMC can do no wrong.

Can't wait for next week's episode!  

#14 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

Watched last night. It was more involved than the first one and itís entertaining, but am still not in love with it. I will say itís better than anything else on Sunday night right now, so Iíll stick with it unless I get bored.

What Iím struggling with is that I donít particularly give a shit about any of these relatively charmless characters. I told my wife last night I wish this show had the cast from LostÖ.(which is the closest type of a show I could compare Dead to). I could just see Locke, Kate, Jack and Sawyer in these roles as well. Beyond that I think the show takes itself a bit too seriously. The laughs are few and far between. I mean, I get that it's a serious situation, but that's when you need some levity and that's lacking...even one CHARMING character.

In better hands this would be a better show. Again, I think itís not the premise but the characters. Letís be honest, with good characters we can become invested in almost any plot. Take Mad Men. That showís premise isnít exactly COMPELLING stuff on the surface. I mean, describe the show to someone who doesnít watch it and watch as they jump up and down with excitement.  wink.gif  Mad Men is certainly is better than it sounds to talk about it. But itís character-driven more than it is plot-drivenÖso not much can actually happen and we can be moved or stirred enormously because we like these people and their day-to-day existence. Dead needs a bit more of this or to at least make its characters more compelling and endearing.  Right now every last one could get eaten alive and I wouldn't feel much.  

Just being honest.

I need to care about these folks and their plight a bit more to love this show. It does a lot of great things aesthetically, but it's falling short on the one thing it needs to be a great show instead of merely entertaining.

Good show...extremely entertaining...but not great in the way a show needs to be great.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 08 November 2010 - 09:41 AM.

#15 vital signz

vital signz

Médico en La Villa

• Members *
  • 5375 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 8 2010, 10:39 AM)
Watched last night. It was more involved than the first one and itís entertaining, but am still not in love with it. I will say itís better than anything else on Sunday night right now, so Iíll stick with it unless I get bored.

What Iím struggling with is that I donít particularly give a shit about any of these relatively charmless characters. I told my wife last night I wish this show had the cast from LostÖ.(which is the closest type of a show I could compare Dead to). I could just see Locke, Kate, Jack and Sawyer in these roles as well. Beyond that I think the show takes itself a bit too seriously. The laughs are few and far between. I mean, I get that it's a serious situation, but that's when you need some levity and that's lacking...even one CHARMING character.

In better hands this would be a better show. Again, I think itís not the premise but the characters. Letís be honest, with good characters we can become invested in almost any plot. Take Mad Men. That showís premise isnít exactly COMPELLING stuff on the surface. I mean, describe the show to someone who doesnít watch it and watch as they jump up and down with excitement.  wink.gif  Mad Men is certainly is better than it sounds to talk about it. But itís character-driven more than it is plot-drivenÖso not much can actually happen and we can be moved or stirred enormously because we like these people and their day-to-day existence. Dead needs a bit more of this or to at least make its characters more compelling and endearing.  Right now every last one could get eaten alive and I wouldn't feel much. 

Just being honest.

I need to care about these folks and their plight a bit more to love this show. It does a lot of great things aesthetically, but it's falling short on the one thing it needs to be a great show instead of merely entertaining.

Good show...extremely entertaining...but not great in the way a show needs to be great.

I don't think you could have a show be in better hands really...Frank Darabont has done the screenplays for, and directed both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, two of the best movies ever made.

I think it is more the subject really.  It is hard to have moments like in Lost...beaches, pretty girls, lots of skin showing, jungles, good looking actors and actresses, when you are dealing with zombies.  All he has to work with are dead bodies, rotting skin, exploding heads, flesh being torn apart, and people scared witless!

Edited by vital signz, 09 November 2010 - 07:11 AM.

#16 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 9 2010, 07:10 AM)

In better hands this would be a better show. Again, I think itís not the premise but the characters. Letís be honest, with good characters we can become invested in almost any plot. Take Mad Men. That showís premise isnít exactly COMPELLING stuff on the surface. I mean, describe the show to someone who doesnít watch it and watch as they jump up and down with excitement.† wink.gif† Mad Men is certainly is better than it sounds to talk about it. But itís character-driven more than it is plot-drivenÖso not much can actually happen and we can be moved or stirred enormously because we like these people and their day-to-day existence. Dead needs a bit more of this or to at least make its characters more compelling and endearing.† Right now every last one could get eaten alive and I wouldn't feel much.

Just being honest.

I don't think you could have a show be in better hands really...Frank Darabont has done the screenplays for, and directed both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, two of the best movies ever made.

I think it is more the subject really.  It is hard to have moments like in Lost...beaches, pretty girls, lots of skin showing, jungles, good looking actors and actresses, when you are dealing with zombies.  All he has to work with are dead bodies, rotting skin, exploding heads, flesh being torn apart, and people scared witless!

Yeah, I'm familar with Darabont.  I love those films.  I still wish I cared more about these people.  Don't get me wrong.  My frustration is because I really dig the show and want to love it.  I just feel some important things are...missing.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 09 November 2010 - 08:14 AM.

#17 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24278 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 9 2010, 08:12 AM)

In better hands this would be a better show. Again, I think itís not the premise but the characters. Letís be honest, with good characters we can become invested in almost any plot. Take Mad Men. That showís premise isnít exactly COMPELLING stuff on the surface. I mean, describe the show to someone who doesnít watch it and watch as they jump up and down with excitement.† wink.gif† Mad Men is certainly is better than it sounds to talk about it. But itís character-driven more than it is plot-drivenÖso not much can actually happen and we can be moved or stirred enormously because we like these people and their day-to-day existence. Dead needs a bit more of this or to at least make its characters more compelling and endearing.† Right now every last one could get eaten alive and I wouldn't feel much.

Just being honest.

Yeah, I'm familar with Darabont.  I love those films.  I still wish I cared more about these people.  Don't get me wrong.  My frustration is because I really dig the show and want to love it.  I just feel some important things are...missing.

We've had two episodes.  You can't expect to know everything about all the characters in such a short amount of time.  Making us really know and care about the characters after only two shows would seem a bit forced to me.  Good character development is a process not to be rushed.  I'm sure we'll all be satisfied as the weeks go by.

#18 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10465 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 9 2010, 10:40 AM)

Just being honest.

We've had two episodes.  You can't expect to know everything about all the characters in such a short amount of time.  Making us really know and care about the characters after only two shows would seem a bit forced to me.  Good character development is a process not to be rushed.  I'm sure we'll all be satisfied as the weeks go by.

I hope you're right.  I also conceded what you just said, that it's still very early.  However, in all fairness...compared with some other shows I really enjoy (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Sons Of Anarchy, Lost), I had a more immediate reaction to some of those characters.  That's all.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 09 November 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#19 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83495 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

I'm gonna have to come clean and admit that I've never understood the popularity of zombie films. I mean they're all the same, a bunch of (foolish) people trying to survive an apocalyptic situation with a bunch of badly made-up extras lurching after them. And let's face it, once you've seen Romero, the rest are paler than the zombie make-up they paint on their faces...

confused13.gif  

#20 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24278 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 9 2010, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 9 2010, 10:40 AM)

Just being honest.

I hope you're right.  I also conceded what you just said, that it's still very early.  However, in all fairness...compared with some other shows I really enjoy (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Sons Of Anarchy, Lost), I had a more immediate reaction to some of those characters.  That's all.

trink39.gif

Here's to hoping its as good as we know it can be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users