Circumstances

Pags

I must admit, I used to just pass this song over and never really listened to it the way I should have. That changed just a few months back when I was re-ripping my entire Rush catalog into 320 kbps mp3 files. When I got to Hemispheres, I just was enthralled by the overall sound and had to listen to the whole thing. Circumstances, on that day, owned me. I will forever be a huge fan of this song from that day on.

Discuss.

I think it's a refreshing tune to listen to and I prefer it over "The Trees". Besides I can relate to the lyrics myself. It's my fave tune on the album.

I remember first hearing the french words and thinking OK what was that he said. Plus I was just a kid when I heard it and the lyrics, "the more that things change, the more they stay the same" kinda stuck with me. One of those sayings that just makes ya stop and think. Overall Awesome Tune, I like it!

One of the coolest intros to any song I know - a sequence of four simple notes, but it's like a cavalcade bursting through a wall and rushing right at you.

Then Geddy's voice enters the scene and his singing harmonizes perfectly with the music, so there's no one sound accompanying the other - rather they all complement each other, consummate each other.

The lyrics are distinctly visual and the listener is instantly drawn into their subject's mind and world. (See center-of-consciousness theory in narratological study.)

One of my favorite shower songs. smile.gif

From any angle you approach it, any way you slice it, Hemispheres is a solid masterpiece. (2112's still me favorite, though...)

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Apr 20 2005, 09:54 PM)
one of the top 4 songs on that album

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Unlike Paganoman, Circumstances grabbed me by the short and curlies the first day I bought Hemispheres, and has never let go.

In the "What Rush song describes you?" thread a few weeks back, it's the one I chose, and the "Plus ca change......." line is one I quote almost daily, and my friends amd family are heartily sick of it at this stage.

QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ Apr 20 2005, 03:25 PM)
The guitar leading up to the chorus is fantastic! Great song  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Well said. I wub.gif this tune. I can remember when the album came out. Circumstances was played on the radio alot more than "the Trees" very underated!!!

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Apr 21 2005, 08:26 PM)
One reason might be the deterioration of Geddy's range. While he's still an amazing singer, normal aging still applies to his vox. The chorus is incredibly high if I remember.

Hmmm, I never thought of that.

Thanks for the reply, Sheriff!

trink36.gif

QUOTE (Daylin @ Apr 21 2005, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Apr 21 2005, 08:26 PM)
One reason might be the deterioration of Geddy's range. While he's still an amazing singer, normal aging still applies to his vox. The chorus is incredibly high if I remember.

Hmmm, I never thought of that.

Thanks for the reply, Sheriff!

trink36.gif

That's very probably the reason. Even on the "Circumstances" video Geddy has a hard time making that leap from laughed at by to time and from tricked by circumstan- to -es.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 20 2005, 12:58 PM)
I must admit, I used to just pass this song over and never really listened to it the way I should have. That changed just a few months back when I was re-ripping my entire Rush catalog into 320 kbps mp3 files. When I got to Hemispheres, I just was enthralled by the overall sound and had to listen to the whole thing. Circumstances, on that day, owned me. I will forever be a huge fan of this song from that day on.

Discuss.

All that and a bastard of a song to play musically! A real workout for sure! bolt.gif

QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Apr 29 2005, 11:30 AM)
Circumstances goes so well with Hemispheres.
Sometimes when I hear it, I think that it is a continuation of Hemispheres. confused13.gif

A curious observation. Are you suggesting that there is a thematic relation between "Circumstances" and "Hemispheres," that they are telling a similar story? Or is it your impression that they are similar musically?

One of my all time favorite RUSH song from my favorite RUSH album. The synthesizer break in middle of song has that classic art rock "YES" feel to it. CIRCUMSTANCES VERY UNDERRATED GREAT SONG!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 29 2005, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Apr 29 2005, 11:30 AM)
Circumstances goes so well with Hemispheres.
Sometimes when I hear it, I think that it is a continuation of Hemispheres. confused13.gif

A curious observation. Are you suggesting that there is a thematic relation between "Circumstances" and "Hemispheres," that they are telling a similar story? Or is it your impression that they are similar musically?

Musically. The spirit of the song.

I find myself doing a double-take, saying "oh, Hemispheres is over".

The Trees and La Villa Strangiato doesn't seem fit with Hemispheres like Circumstances does.

Yeah, Circumstances rocks! It's my fav "short" tune on Hemispheres. I love the middle section when Neil plays the bells and wind chimes and guitars are calm old.gif , then they kick in the overdrive in odd meter. That chord progression really kicks major @ss! Anyone agree?

Archived