Leaving BU2B off of CA?

rushgoober

An assinine proposition.

Gary, your internet hijinx has sunk to a new low.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 11:49 AM)
Guess you find thinking for oneself to be a bad thing since that seems to be the primary "message" of the lyrics.

Well this thread should be indicative that thinking for yourself is something that I obviously do NOT think is a bad thing. wink.gif

I wish that was the primary message of a song like BU2B and Faithless, but it goes beyond that to me and actually puts down people who view things in a certain way. Then again, not everyone will interpret their songs in the same way. When I say that I find it depressing, preachy and cynical, that's how I'm viewing it. Other people cheer it on as they did Faithless as it really being right on and in line with their views. That's fine, and they're entitled. I just don't see it that way.

Faithless is one of the few Rush songs that seems to be completely expressing Neil's personal view. It's obviously stating what he thinks and feels so therefore I don't see why anyone who doesn't share this viewpoint should be offended.

I simply don't see why someone chooses to be offended just because someone else has a different point of view. I don't see it as putting anyone down. It's just self-expression. You're choosing to take it that way because it's in opposition to how you feel when it's not attacking anyone's view at all.

Your points are well taken. He's entitled to his views, and the fact that he has them by itself is fine. It's just when he sings about them it bugs me personally as I'm a Rush fan and I pay attention to their lyrics. Some people can really love a song where they vehemently disagree with the premise of the song. Sometimes I can. Here I can't.

Sometimes I'll play a song I love for my wife thinking she's going to enjoy it, and she hates it. I ask why and she says, "Well, in that song they're saying this and this and that's terrible. Are you paying attention to the lyrics? Doesn't that bother you?"

In many instances it doesn't. I either don't interpret it that way she does or they just don't bother me. Rush is a group that means something to me though. Their lyrics are significant. When it's presenting a personal point of view that I strongly disagree with, it effects me (understanding that it's a rock group and it's just a song and in the grand scheme of things it's relatively meaningless).

Maybe to say I'm offended is too strong, or even inaccurate. I guess it more saddens me than anything else. I've been on board with them most of the time with what they have to say, or at least see it as completely benign. In the instance of BU2B and a couple other songs, I'm just not on board anymore.

As someone suggested above, I could just hit the skip button, and I will, but there was a time with Rush where I never had to.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 14 2010, 03:14 PM)
An assinine proposition.

Either that or he's sunk to a new high cool10.gif

Nah I joke. tongue.gif Goobsydudesy, its all fine and dandy to think that as you have the right to do so. But you are indeed in the minority and missing out on loving these songs! drool1.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 14 2010, 12:09 PM)
20 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 3 Anonymous Users):
1-0-0-1-0-0-1, snowdog2112, (anonymous rushgoober), (anonymous), bigman208, Bravado007, (anonymous), PariahDog, Mr. Krinkle, ghostworks, Mara, Nathan

Goob is very happy right now. yes.gif

tongue.gif

Are you calling me an attention whore?! ohmy.gif rage.gif

tongue.gif

unsure.gif

seems if someone is comfortable with their belief or disbelief, they make their statement and then move on instead of dwelling on it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 14 2010, 12:14 PM)
An assinine proposition.

laugh.gif

Fair enough, dude! trink39.gif

Hey, at least my thread isn't boring! tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Touche my good man.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 14 2010, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 11:49 AM)
Guess you find thinking for oneself to be a bad thing since that seems to be the primary "message" of the lyrics.

Well this thread should be indicative that thinking for yourself is something that I obviously do NOT think is a bad thing. wink.gif

I wish that was the primary message of a song like BU2B and Faithless, but it goes beyond that to me and actually puts down people who view things in a certain way. Then again, not everyone will interpret their songs in the same way. When I say that I find it depressing, preachy and cynical, that's how I'm viewing it. Other people cheer it on as they did Faithless as it really being right on and in line with their views. That's fine, and they're entitled. I just don't see it that way.

Faithless is one of the few Rush songs that seems to be completely expressing Neil's personal view. It's obviously stating what he thinks and feels so therefore I don't see why anyone who doesn't share this viewpoint should be offended.

I simply don't see why someone chooses to be offended just because someone else has a different point of view. I don't see it as putting anyone down. It's just self-expression. You're choosing to take it that way because it's in opposition to how you feel when it's not attacking anyone's view at all.

Especially since in the S&A "making of" documentary they go out of their way to say that some people get their inspiration from religious/spiritual sources which is fine and others don't and that song is for the ones that don't. It's clearly not intended to be an attack as it is just sort of a personal manifesto. Neil also specifically clarifies that like so many other things religion can inspire people to be good or bad as in the Armor and Sword lyrics so it's not like there's complete hostility to it. He just doesn't need it. As I don't. If it comforts other people then that's cool, too. Just don't make me participate.

Anyway, I don't think they really needed to compose a 'personal manifesto' in that manner. Faithless has some of the weakest lyrics in Rush's catalog (in my opinion). It would have been just as silly if they wrote a song called 'God Is Great'. BU2B, on the other hand, presents it's ideas in a more interesting way. Faithless is way too subjective and unnecessary. But that's waht Neil apparently needed to express.

I think that Rushgoober makes a good point about his disappointment with one of his favorite bands making him uncomfortable. That being said, I am glad that I don't really hear lyrics. As many times as I have heard the catalog, there is not one song that I can sing all the way through without messing up. The bass and guitar take over and that's all she wrote...for me, that is.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 01:57 PM)
You seem to be taking these lyrics personally. but they aren't necessarily directed at your beliefs (whatever they may be).

Were you brought up to believe?

how bout neil? he seems to be glued to the richard dawkins books and that has certainly influenced him on how he's been writing the last couple. so much that he seems a little obsessed with the subject.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 14 2010, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 01:57 PM)
You seem to be taking these lyrics personally. but they aren't necessarily directed at your beliefs (whatever they may be).

Were you brought up to believe?

how bout neil? he seems to be glued to the richard dawkins books and that has certainly influenced him on how he's been writing the last couple. so much that he seems a little obsessed with the subject.

Unfortunately, that happens when folks get older. They tend to obsess.

I like it. But I'm not a believer, so I guess there's really no chance I'd ever come close to being offended by it. Still, I have to say, with over 35 years, 150+ songs... if there are only 2 that affect you like this, you should probably just blow 'em off, Goob. I can't imagine taking a body of work like that and getting down on the band or its lyricist over 2 songs - especially since his world view hasn't exactly been a secret or left out of the lyrics up to this point.

ranton.gif tongue.gif

Since we are putting in requests, I request that Alex only play PRS guitars on the new album (because I love the tone...I guess you could say, I agree with the tone.), and absolutely NO Telecasters shall be used! 1287.gif

Also, Geddy, my man, you are NEVER allowed to wear your hair in a pony tail again...seriously, that is a major buzz-kill! tongue.gif And that scarf that you insist on wearing? Give it up...way too "metro-sexual" for my liking. wink.gif

Neil, you're not safe in all of this...see a counselor. Get your meds adjusted. Man, just cheer the f@ck up! cool.gif Oh, and go on a diet...you're looking a little "round," dude. tongue.gif

I have become WAY happier in life when I realized that I am not going to be able to pick and choose everything in life. I gotta take it as it comes and make the best of it. There are PLENTY of Rush songs that I hit the "skip" button on (a few that I would probably get drawn and quartered for mentioning here! cool.gif ), but they are still my favorite band, they are still the MOST consistently GOOD band, and they really are never a disappointment to me.

Even The Larger Bowl. Talk about a whiny, preachy song! And depressing? That's probably THE MOST depressing song (IMO) that they have ever written. Faithless was WAY less preachy than THAT piece of dribble. I can count on one hand the times I have listened to The Larger Bowl, and two of those times were in concert on both S&A tour legs. Didn't keep me from going to the concert, and it doesn't keep me from listening to S&A regularly. I don't like the song, so I skip it. And, even if I had KNOWN that song was gonna be a complete waste of four minutes and seven seconds of the disc BEFORE I heard the album, I STILL would have bought it, and enjoyed the rest of the songs.

As with the posts of every one else here, this is all my opinion. wink.gif rantoff.gif

RushChick, I know what you mean about "The Larger Bowl". Geddy does his best Fonzie impersonation at the beginning.

As a Christian, I don't agree with a lot of Neil's views and lyrics... but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the music. Although I still have to explain to people that the red star on 2112 isn't "satanic" tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 14 2010, 03:03 PM)
i'm just thinking that there has to be other stuff to write about out there. earthshine is just a great example of something a little different. great lyrics imo and great music to go along with it.

Amen!! Er, I mean (I am agnostic...can't say that! cool.gif laugh.gif )

How about...

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 03:10 PM)
Is that a bad thing? confused13.gif tongue.gif unsure.gif

Nope!

To each their own, and here's to ya for sticking it all out there and posting something so enormously egotistical tongue.gif

It's made for a great thread IMO

Archived