Leaving BU2B off of CA?

rushgoober

Ok, I know there will be some major eyesre4.gif ing here, but it's something that's been weighing on me, and I need to say it. While I'll certainly be in the minority here, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Anyway, I would sure love it of BU2B got left OFF of CA.

Many years ago, I always looked forward to their new album knowing I was going to love it based on their history. After awhile they stopped being consistent (IMHO), BUT I always would sincerely hope that their next album would be something special, and they have sometimes happily surprised me.

And here I am waiting for their new album, already knowing that I really don't like one of the new songs. I just find BU2B depressing, preachy and cynical. It kind of sucks knowing they have an album coming out and I already know it's got at least one clunker on it (again, IMHO). Caravan I'm not super crazy about, but I don't dislike it, and parts of it I think are really great. I didn't love S&A all the way though, but it's at least half of a great album which I still appreciate and enjoy. I can still hold out hope for that, but it's unfortunate that for me it's already got a strike against it before it's even finished.

So here's my request for the band that they'll never see, and even if they did they'd ignore, and for which many fans will think I'm crazy to make. Please leave BU2B OFF of the new album. Keep it as a single b-side, and let's maybe move on to if not happier topics, at least some more neutral/benign ones? Just one man's opinion...

smilies-8579.png

eh.gif

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 14 2010, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 12:45 PM)
I can still hold out hope

I still cling to hope

And I believe in love

And that's faith enough for me

That song wasn't cut, this one won't be either.

I could be way off here, but I think the "Watchmaker" may fit into the whole concept piece/story/whatever it's going to be. Listened to on its own, BU2B sounds like another preachy anti-religion Neil song... but I think it may take on a whole new meaning on the album.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 14 2010, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 12:45 PM)
I can still hold out hope

I still cling to hope

And I believe in love

And that's faith enough for me

laugh.gif

I thought of that when I wrote it. Alas, it's not enough for me, or I guess more accurately, it will have to be...

Better not, unless in the final analysis it just does not fit at all with the rest of the album. That song kicks some serious ass.

BU2B kicks ass; Live even more so. I say keep it on the new album.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album! From what the new songs tell me, It's gonna RAWK.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 14 2010, 12:13 PM)
I could be way off here, but I think the "Watchmaker" may fit into the whole concept piece/story/whatever it's going to be. Listened to on its own, BU2B sounds like another preachy anti-religion Neil song... but I think it may take on a whole new meaning on the album.

This is exactly what so many people seem to be missing. From the little we know of the upcoming album so far the lyrics appear to be character-driven, not Neil's direct thoughts. We have no idea what the context is yet. Some of you people might have only heard Soliloquy by itself in 1976 and thought that Neil wanted to kill himself. Give it a chance, jeez.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 14 2010, 11:13 AM)

It might. That's the best case scenario for me, that the point of view expressed in the song is an early stage or step on the path towards some kind of love or acceptance or spirituality of some form or another, but I seriously doubt it. And even if that is the case, it doesn't work on its own for me. The best concept albums have songs that work on their own instead of just only working in context. Just my opinions/wishes - many will disagree and that's cool..

You also have to take account that some people believe in things for the wrong reasons and certain "beliefs" are (and have been) distorted and exploited for bad purposes. Hypocrisy does in fact exist. Sorry, but that's reality.

You can wear the rose-colored glasses all you want, but Neil is portraying the world as it is rather than as it should be.

There is a difference between cynicism and realism.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 11:49 AM)
Guess you find thinking for oneself to be a bad thing since that seems to be the primary "message" of the lyrics.

Well this thread should be indicative that thinking for yourself is something that I obviously do NOT think is a bad thing. wink.gif

I wish that was the primary message of a song like BU2B and Faithless, but it goes beyond that to me and actually puts down people who view things in a certain way. Then again, not everyone will interpret their songs in the same way. When I say that I find it depressing, preachy and cynical, that's how I'm viewing it. Other people cheer it on as they did Faithless as it really being right on and in line with their views. That's fine, and they're entitled. I just don't see it that way.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 01:56 PM)
Guess you find thinking for oneself to be a bad thing since that seems to be the primary "message" of the lyrics.

Well this thread should be indicative that thinking for yourself is something that I obviously do NOT think is a bad thing. wink.gif

I wish that was the primary message of a song like BU2B and Faithless, but it goes beyond that to me and actually puts down people who view things in a certain way. Then again, not everyone will interpret their songs in the same way. When I say that I find it depressing, preachy and cynical, that's how I'm viewing it. Other people cheer it on as they did Faithless as it really being right on and in line with their views. That's fine, and they're entitled. I just don't see it that way.

Faithless is one of the few Rush songs that seems to be completely expressing Neil's personal view. It's obviously stating what he thinks and feels so therefore I don't see why anyone who doesn't share this viewpoint should be offended.

I simply don't see why someone chooses to be offended just because someone else has a different point of view. I don't see it as putting anyone down. It's just self-expression. You're choosing to take it that way because it's in opposition to how you feel when it's not attacking anyone's view at all.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Oct 14 2010, 11:24 AM)
The OP comes off as self-centered whining. 

Yeah, well that's the risk I take. I know it's much more popular to either love everything they do, or only put down songs that a majority of people don't like (ex. Dog Years) or to just keep silent about it if you don't like it as some people just don't want to hear any dissenting opinion at all with anything Rush. That's a valid point of view. It's not one I share, I but I understand it.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Oct 14 2010, 11:24 AM)
Are you now asking that Rush only release "happy" songs?  Last I checked, Between The Wheels, Big Money, Losing It, Witch Hunt, etc. don't exactly give off the warm fuzzies  confused13.gif 

Well like I've said here and elsewhere, I don't mind heavy subject material at all. All those songs are great, and they've had a LOT more songs than that dealing with real issues that aren't rosy and happy by any stretch of the imagination. I just think that recently in some songs he kind of crossed a line that I wish he hadn't crossed. Just my opinion.

I agree with goober that Neil needs to put out some more positive lyrics. Reality is for the 6:00 news people.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 01:56 PM)

Faithless is one of the few Rush songs that seems to be completely expressing Neil's personal view. It's obviously stating what he thinks and feels so therefore I don't see why anyone who doesn't share this viewpoint should be offended.

I simply don't see why someone chooses to be offended just because someone else has a different point of view. I don't see it as putting anyone down. It's just self-expression. You're choosing to take it that way because it's in opposition to how you feel when it's not attacking anyone's view at all.

Especially since in the S&A "making of" documentary they go out of their way to say that some people get their inspiration from religious/spiritual sources which is fine and others don't and that song is for the ones that don't. It's clearly not intended to be an attack as it is just sort of a personal manifesto. Neil also specifically clarifies that like so many other things religion can inspire people to be good or bad as in the Armor and Sword lyrics so it's not like there's complete hostility to it. He just doesn't need it. As I don't. If it comforts other people then that's cool, too. Just don't make me participate.

Archived