favorite rush instrumental

rushstarboy37

Oooooooh, tough one!

La Villa has a great melody to it. YYZ just outright jams! The drum solos always sound great. Limbo is a catchy sound with some amusement. Where's My Thing, unfortunately, seems to be the one I never remember. When I hear it, I think "oh yeah, ok."

Ultimately, I have to vote for Leave That Thing Alone, especially the version from Different Stages. Very catchy, great guitar sounds, both chords and arrepegios (think I have the right term), and great bass sounds too. It's one that, when I hear it, I practically stop everything. Remember how Neil and Geddy said they were amazed the Brazilian fans were singing along to YYZ? I find myself doing that to Leave That Thing Alone. 1022.gif

Arndrake said it - this is a tough one. All of these "favorite" type threads are tough for me. Favorite time period, favorite album, favorite song..... man they're ALL my favorite. laugh.gif

This is the third thread that's been started since I've been a member about favorite instrumental. I vote Leave That Thing Alone every time, so I guess it really is my favorite.

I have one differing opinion about the live versions of the song. I like the RIR version more than the DS version. There is a specific reason why. I just don't know how to explain it very well because I have no musical training. But here goes.

It's during the last section of the song, with Alex's guitar. On CP, he plays those 4 notes and sustains that 4th note. Know the part?? Well, for CP and T4E tours (DS) he repeated the first three notes before sustaining the last note. For whatever reason, I never liked it. Then, for the VP tour (RIR), he played just the 4 notes as it is heard on record. To me, it just sounds better. Check it out - and see which one you like more (or if it even matters). Either way, it's really cool to have differences in live peformances like that - so you've got something different to listen to.

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Apr 19 2005, 08:23 AM)
La Villa that thing alone tongue.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

La Villa, seconded by 2112 Overture. We should make golden statues of the band for creating La Villa wub.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 19 2005, 07:31 AM)
Arndrake said it - this is a tough one. All of these "favorite" type threads are tough for me. Favorite time period, favorite album, favorite song..... man they're ALL my favorite. laugh.gif

This is the third thread that's been started since I've been a member about favorite instrumental. I vote Leave That Thing Alone every time, so I guess it really is my favorite.

I have one differing opinion about the live versions of the song. I like the RIR version more than the DS version. There is a specific reason why. I just don't know how to explain it very well because I have no musical training. But here goes.

It's during the last section of the song, with Alex's guitar. On CP, he plays those 4 notes and sustains that 4th note. Know the part?? Well, for CP and T4E tours (DS) he repeated the first three notes before sustaining the last note. For whatever reason, I never liked it. Then, for the VP tour (RIR), he played just the 4 notes as it is heard on record. To me, it just sounds better. Check it out - and see which one you like more (or if it even matters).

Oh, now you got me curious! I need to listen to my *whispers* TFE-boot tomorrow to pay attention to that in earnest, had never realised this difference before... But I do tend to like the live-version of LTTA I have from the -96/97 tour better than the RIR version or even the studio version so perhaps that is the reason for it!

And to answer the actual question, well, just had a listen to La Villa a moment ago and it sounded as brilliant as ever. LTTA is a firm runner-up, though. (I won't include things like Overture here as they are part of a greater whole so to speak.)

It's much too tough to pick just one.

La Villa Strangiato - As Rush called it, La Villa Strangiato is an exercise in indulgence. If that's true, then they should do that more often! This is one of my many favorite Rush songs, for several reasons. The way that it's constructed is amazing. It begins with a subtle classical guitar intro, then picks up the pace before finally rocketing into a wonderland of sonic pleasure. I believe that this track features Alex's best guitar skill. His work here is phenominal. I really enjoyed listening to this track when I first listened to it. I never get tired of it.

O Baterista - Arguably the best drum solo performed by Neil. Unfortunately, we don't have the convenience of listening to it in ultra-high quality, as is the case with the lot of Rush In Rio. I do not believe that this is Neil's best work, but it comes close. If you listen to it with your eyes closed, it sounds like more than one person is playing. (When is this not true?!) I loved watching this on Rush In Rio. His skill is simply amazing, and no matter what song he plays, he always shines.

The Rhythm Method - Two different versions are on live albums in the Rush catalogue. One on A Show Of Hands and one on Different Stages. Different Stages features an extended version of the drum solo, while A Show Of Hands features a more raw solo, comparable to Neil's solos during the seventies. I tend to favor the extended one on Different Stages. This one captures his skill perfectly - especially since he took an entirely different approach to playing drums. Peter Collins commented that when Neil was reforming his technique, he still sounded the same. I disagree. Neil sounds even better when he features his new technique on Test For Echo. This very technique is evident in The Rhythm Method. The Different Stages version is simply amazing.

YYZ - This seems to be the most favored of all instrumentals, and with good reason. While somewhat following the patterns of La Villa Strangiato, this sounds like a paired-down version of it, with keyboards added in. Getting creative, Rush decided to add Neil's drum solo into YYZ, right before Alex's guitar solo came in. I was blown away when I heard his solo in YYZ - just simply amazing. YYZ is an anthem that every fan enjoys listening to.

Limbo - This instrumental is a diamond-in-the-rough - Generally overlooked by the majority of the fanbase. I thought that this was the perfect way to feature Neil's new technique on a studio album - A different kind of instrumental with odd effects and snippets (The Monster Mash quotes). Their latest solo is arguably their best, and it's easy to see why.

Where's My Thing? - This instrumental has a more jazzy-feel to it. Rush fooled around with it, giving it an alternate intro and a Monster Mash trigger which segued into Wipe Out. I think that they should play this more. It's another diamond-in-the-rough, and suits its album well.

Leave That Thing Alone! - Can you think of a better song to go into the drum solo? I pondered this when I first heard it on Different Stages, and later Rush In Rio. Each are perfect to lead into the drum solo - Alex and Geddy can rest for a little bit while Neil pounds away furiously on his drums. This is also arguably the best song from Counterparts.

Overture - If I were to choose an anthem for the entire world, this would be it. It is simply flawless; Geddy, Alex, and Neil display immense talent here on the track that every Rush fan has come to know and love. It's intro almost misleads the listener into thinking that the track is synth-driven, when in reality it is a furious heavy rocker. I could listen to this song all day, and air drum to it all day as well. Overture provides the perfect opening to arguably the band's finest track ever recorded.

Edited for @#%!&$* spelling errors. comp26.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 19 2005, 10:39 PM)

La Villa Strangiato - As Rush called it, La Villa Strangiato is an exercise in indulgence. If that's true, then they should do that more often! This is one of my many favorite Rush songs, for several reasons. The way that it's constructed is amazing. It begins with a subtle classical guitar intro, then picks up the pace before finally rocketing into a wonderland of sonic pleasure. I believe that this track features Alex's best guitar skill. His work here is phenominal. I really enjoyed listening to this track when I first listened to it. I never get tired of it.

O Baterista - Arguably the best drum solo performed by Neil. Unfortunately, we don't have the convenience of listening to it in ultra-high quality, as is the case with the lot of Rush In Rio. I do not believe that this is Neil's best work, but it comes close. If you listen to it with your eyes closed, it sounds like more than one person is playing. (When is this not true?!) I loved watching this on Rush In Rio. His skill is simply amazing, and no matter what song he plays, he always shines.

The Rhythm Method - Two different versions are on live albums in the Rush catalogue. One on A Show Of Hands and one on Different Stages. Different Stages features an extended version of the drum solo, while A Show Of Hands features a more raw solo, comparable to Neil's solos during the seventies. I tend to favor the extended one on Different Stages. This one captures his skill perfectly - especially since he took an entirely different approach to playing drums. Peter Collins commented that when Neil was reforming his technique, he still sounded the same. I disagree. Neil sounds even better when he features his new technique on Test For Echo. This very technique is evident in The Rhythm Method. The Different Stages version is simply amazing.

YYZ - This seems to be the most favored of all instrumentals, and with good reason. While somewhat following the patterns of La Villa Strangiato, this sounds like a paired-down version of it, with keyboards added in. Getting creative, Rush decided to add Neil's drum solo into YYZ, right before Alex's guitar solo came in. I was blown away when I heard his solo in YYZ - just simply amazing. YYZ is an anthem that every fan enjoys listening to.

Limbo - This instrumental is a diamond-in-the-rough - Generally overlooked by the majority of the fanbase. I thought that this was the perfect way to feature Neil's new technique on a studio album - A different kind of instrumental with odd effects and snippets (The Monster Mash quotes). Their latest solo is arguably their best, and it's easy to see why.

Where's My Thing? - This instrumental has a more jazzy-feel to it. Rush fooled around with it, giving it an alternate intro and a Monster Mash trigger which segued into Wipe Out. I think that they should play this more. It's another diamond-in-the-rough, and suits its album well.

Leave That Thing Alone! - Can you think of a better song to go into the drum solo? I pondered this when I first heard it on Different Stages, and later Rush In Rio. Each are perfect to lead into the drum solo - Alex and Geddy can rest for a little bit while Neil pounds away furiously on his drums. This is also arguably the best song from Counterparts.

Overture - If I were to choose an anthem for the entire world, this would be it. It is simply flawless; Geddy, Alex, and Neil display immense talent here on the track that every Rush fan has come to know and love. It's intro almost misleads the listener into thinking that the track is synth-driven, when in reality it is a furious heavy rocker. I could listen to this song all day, and air drum to it all day as well. Overture provides the perfect opening to arguably the band's finest track ever recorded.

Edited for @#%!&$* spelling errors. comp26.gif

Very nice sfuentes, you should get out more!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 20 2005, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 19 2005, 10:39 PM)

Edited for @#%!&$* spelling errors.  comp26.gif

Very nice sfuentes, you should get out more!

biggrin.gif

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif <-- in response to Earthshine.

Gotta hand it to him, though - a very nice post, and I'm not just saying that because it's a 500+er. Good thorough analysis, well-expressed and organized. If I were his writing coach, it'd score above a 90 - 95, even. A few areas could be improved as far as syntax and word choice go, but goodpost.gif .

[Edited to avoid ambiguity.]

Archived