Geddy's double guitar/bass combo

thetrees

ive seen some pictures and a little bit of footage of Geddy playing a bass/guitar combo thing and i was wondering which song or songs (when played live of course) that is from. judging by the pictures it obviously has to be a 70's song, but im not sure which one. doh.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 19 2005, 01:12 AM)
Ah, he also plays it during A passage to Bangkok from the Moving Pictures tour...

He plays the rythem underneath Alex' solo. You can hear it on ESL.

Yeah thats what I though for ESL aswell...No onelse can be playing that rythm guitar can they?

QUOTE (rushstarboy37 @ Apr 19 2005, 12:36 AM)
I've always wanted to get myself a guitar like that. It comes in handy cause if you can't decide if you want to play bass or guitar, you can do both! or either

Your Crazy....they are fricken' HEAVY, and expensive. Did I mention they are heavy?

Didn't Alex use his doubleneck also on Xanadu and Bangkok?

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 19 2005, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (rushstarboy37 @ Apr 19 2005, 12:36 AM)
I've always wanted to get myself a guitar like that. It comes in handy cause if you can't decide if you want to play bass or guitar, you can do both! or either

Your Crazy....they are fricken' HEAVY, and expensive. Did I mention they are heavy?

yes.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ Apr 19 2005, 08:10 AM)
Ah, he also plays it during A passage to Bangkok from the Moving Pictures tour... 

He plays the rythem underneath Alex' solo.  You can hear it on ESL.

Yeah thats what I though for ESL aswell...No onelse can be playing that rythm guitar can they?

That's either Geddy playing the rythem guitar or they did some serious editing for the ESL album... I don't hear him playing the Bass there, so the logical conclusion is that he is playing the bottom guitar on the double neck.. I do hear some bass pedals there, but no bass guitar.

Too bad Bangkok is not on ESL the video or we would know for sure.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 19 2005, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ Apr 19 2005, 08:10 AM)

He plays the rythem underneath Alex' solo.  You can hear it on ESL.

That's either Geddy playing the rythem guitar or they did some serious editing for the ESL album... I don't hear him playing the Bass there, so the logical conclusion is that he is playing the bottom guitar on the double neck.. I do hear some bass pedals there, but no bass guitar.

Too bad Bangkok is not on ESL the video or we would know for sure.

Yeah I can hear bass pedals too. I guess yours is the most probable answer cool.gif

All right. thanks for all the feedback. i had my suspision it was Xanadu, but i wasnt sure because when i saw Rush this past summer they played Xanadu, but geddy didnt play any guitar on it i dont think. well, maybe rush should include the doubles for their next live endeavor. anyway, thanks again for the input, its always fun learning new things about Rush!! 2.gif

QUOTE (thetrees @ Apr 20 2005, 05:34 PM)
All right. thanks for all the feedback. i had my suspision it was Xanadu, but i wasnt sure because when i saw Rush this past summer they played Xanadu, but geddy didnt play any guitar on it i dont think. well, maybe rush should include the doubles for their next live endeavor. anyway, thanks again for the input, its always fun learning new things about Rush!! 2.gif

Even though they played an extended version of Xanadu on the past tour, they did not play the very end of the song, and that is the part where Geddy plays the electric Guitar (bottom of the double neck)... I don't think they have played Xanadu from Beginning to End since Signals tour, or maybe it was MP.... So he has had no need to use the double neck.

Besides, that things looks heavy!!!

cool.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 21 2005, 12:11 AM)
Besides, that things looks heavy!!!

I read in a magazine somewhere just after the tour ended that that's the main reason he doesnt play his double neck any more! It must have killed his back wacko.gif

Geddy used the Ric 4080 on Xanadu and Passage To Bangkok. Both he and Alex played double necks on Xanadu (no later than ESL). For both songs Geddy plays rhythm guitar and bass pedals under the guitar solo. On the R30 tour Geddy foot triggered sampled electric 12 string chords under the guitar solo on Xanadu.

Archived