Pot Use at Shows

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 06:04 AM)
I realize this post will rub many the wrong way but this has been bothering me.

I observed numerous people over the age of 40 who were lighting up and acting like idiots.

All I want to say is c'mon everyone. Do we really have to do that at our age? Can we be a little more mature than this?

You are so gonna get flamed for this thread, but I tend to agree with you.

Sometime a couple of years ago a friend told me he had done LSD that week-end, and I was shocked. Without thinking I blurted out something like, "LSD? Aren't you like 40?" He looked at me really hurt and I apologized. I know I shouldn't judge people for their choices. God knows I'm far from perfect.

The only thing that truly bugs me is when people insist on sharing their drugs with everyone around them whether they want them or not. I'd much rather be around someone on LSD or even drunk and stumbling around, since at least their chemical is self-contained in their body. The public pot smokers take that choice away from everyone around them, and then they get all self-righteous that if you don't want to be around it, don't come to a concert, as opposed to taking some responsibility and practicing common courtesy and keeping their vice self-contained and away form people who might want to make a different choice.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 5 2010, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 06:04 AM)
I realize this post will rub many the wrong way but this has been bothering me.

I observed numerous people over the age of 40 who were lighting up and acting like idiots.

All I want to say is c'mon everyone. Do we really have to do that at our age? Can we be a little more mature than this?

You are so gonna get flamed for this thread, but I tend to agree with you.

Sometime a couple of years ago a friend told me he had done LSD that week-end, and I was shocked. Without thinking I blurted out something like, "LSD? Aren't you like 40?" He looked at me really hurt and I apologized. I know I shouldn't judge people for their choices. God knows I'm far from perfect.

The only thing that truly bugs me is when people insist on sharing their drugs with everyone around them whether they want them or not. I'd much rather be around someone on LSD or even drunk and stumbling around, since at least their chemical is self-contained in their body. The public pot smokers take that choice away from everyone around them, and then they get all self-righteous that if you don't want to be around it, don't come to a concert, as opposed to taking some responsibility and practicing common courtesy and keeping their vice self-contained and away form people who might want to make a different choice.

You said it better than I could have. I don't judge someone as if I'm perfect and they are inferior.

I was just really annoyed by the pot smokers that kept passing it around to me and my wife even when we kept saying no thanks.

That's all.....

Well, at least you won't lose your job if you get popped with a random.

Contact highs do not contain any of the stuff that those tests look for.

Besides, A LOT of Rush's music sounds GREAT while stoned.

Hell, about two years ago, I took a slab of LSD (I'm not old though, only 20.) and tripped out on the entire AFTK, Hemispheres, and PeW albums, and I STILL WASN'T DONE. (I think I listened to Working Man on repeat while I half slept because I was up for 2 days on the shit.)

But I was tired of music, so we just got into this giant discussion about how it would be if Humans and Birds had social and bodily switches.

Humans shitting on birds cars and stuff.

Yeah, I know. Weird.

EDIT: Oh wait, they actually pass it on to you? I thought you were talking about second hand pot smoke.

That's a big no-no then. I want nothing to do with someone elses blunt.

Edited by D3strukt

I agree that smokers of any substances whatsoever should be considerate of non-smokers, but I completely DISagree that people over 40 deserve special contempt for smoking pot. Why is there an age limit on a pleasant indulgence? Do you say the same things about being "a little more mature" and not needing to do that "at our age" every time someone over 40 has a beer?

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 5 2010, 09:19 AM)

Hell, about two years ago, I took a slab of LSD (I'm not old though, only 20.) and tripped out on the entire AFTK, Hemispheres, and PeW albums, and I STILL WASN'T DONE. (I think I listened to Working Man on repeat while I half slept because I was up for 2 days on the shit.)
But I was tired of music, so we just got into this giant discussion about how it would be if Humans and Birds had social and bodily switches.

Yeah, I know. Weird.

EDIT: Oh wait, they actually pass it on to you? I thought you were talking about second hand pot smoke.

I am specifically speaking to people around 40+.

My husband and I took our 11 and 14 year old sons to this tour (in San Francisco) because we're all major fans. It wasn't like we dragged them them there and they didn't know a thing. We happened to end up in a really heavy smoking area. Some people were acting crazy. But it was a very teachable moment for us. We tried to show them how not to focus on stuff like that and remember the reason you're there -- to see the greatest band in the world. Just tune everything else out and lock into the music! While Rush and Pink Floyd among others have a major drug culture following, there are many of us who enjoy them sober. As long as you're not pushing your own agenda (either way) I don't have a problem with either side of it.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Oct 5 2010, 09:25 AM)
I agree that smokers of any substances whatsoever should be considerate of non-smokers, but I completely DISagree that people over 40 deserve special contempt for smoking pot. Why is there an age limit on a pleasant indulgence? Do you say the same things about being "a little more mature" and not needing to do that "at our age" every time someone over 40 has a beer?

It is just my opinion.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 08:26 AM)

Yeah, I know. Weird.

Why? I have the mentality of a 40 year old. I CERTAINLY wouldn't want that stuff passed on, especially if it meant that I could possibly LOSE my job.

I quit anyways, because i've got a kid coming in 27 days, and I don't really want him raised around that stuff.

Hypocritical, I know (Well, not really. I haven't touched drugs for a year, and even at that it was only LSD and pot.) but I don't care. I'm looking out for the little dude.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 5 2010, 09:30 AM)

Yeah, I know. Weird.

Why? I have the mentality of a 40 year old. I CERTAINLY wouldn't want that stuff passed on, especially if it meant that I could possibly LOSE my job.

I quit anyways, because i've got a kid coming in 27 days, and I don't really want him raised around that stuff.

Hypocritical, I know (Well, not really. I haven't touched drugs for a year, and even at that it was only LSD and pot.) but I don't care. I'm looking out for the little dude.

It is simply aggravating to me that 40 somethings in this day and age would succumb to using drugs. Again, in my opinion it is immature to use any drug to escape reality even for a second. I don't buy into the thinking that one uses pot to enjoy the show. I think there are deeper issues at hand for the person who uses any drug that they don't want to address.

My opinion.....

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 09:39 AM)

Yeah, I know. Weird.

It is simply aggravating to me that 40 somethings in this day and age would succumb to using drugs. Again, in my opinion it is immature to use any drug to escape reality even for a second. I don't buy into the thinking that one uses pot to enjoy the show. I think there are deeper issues at hand for the person who uses any drug that they don't want to address.

My opinion.....

So you don't drink?

Alcohol is a drug too....it just happens to be legal.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 5 2010, 09:47 AM)

Yeah, I know. Weird.

My opinion.....

So you don't drink?

No I don't drink but I also don't condemn people that do either.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 5 2010, 09:47 AM)

Yeah, I know. Weird.

My opinion.....

So you don't drink?

No I don't drink but I also don't condemn people that do either.

So how, in your mind, do you separate drug use into age brackets?

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 08:43 AM)
I also want everyone to know that I didn't start this post to try and change anyone or try and start an argument. I know it is controversial but I also felt I had to express myself because it was bothering me and I would hope I could do that here without getting flamed.

Rock on...

Careful, my friend. There are LOTS of people at Rush shows who indulge and who are over 40. Some, are even approaching their 60's... cool.gif

I do have to say that I find it rather naive & somewhat hypocritical for you to start a thread like this. As others have mentioned, alcohol is technically a drug too and in my experience, people get waay more out of hand & obnoxious when they're drunk than when they're high.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but be prepared for differences and be willing to accept them without offense.

I rather have a pot smoker next to me and not CIG smokes, this last show there were 3 folks next to me smoked them CIGs all thru the show 062802puke_prv.gif and that is not cool either, there is a NO Smoking Rule and that means CIGs too. Lets just ban liquor too, nothing worse then a drunk spilling beer on you. Gross.

Drink your beer, smoke your Cigs and pot outside at the car... Go in and enjoy the show and the people around you. old.gif This is what I do and at 56 I'll smoke when I want cool10.gif and you will never know it, it is called respect, may be some of you drinkers and cig smokers could show the same respect, do them went no one is looking...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 09:00 AM)
Starting a thread like this is like walking into a school PTA meeting and saying, "You know what I find obnoxious? Kids."

laugh.gif

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Oct 5 2010, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 08:43 AM)
I also want everyone to know that I didn't start this post to try and change anyone or try and start an argument. I know it is controversial but I also felt I had to express myself because it was bothering me and I would hope I could do that here without getting flamed.

Rock on...

Careful, my friend. There are LOTS of people at Rush shows who indulge and who are over 40. Some, are even approaching their 60's... cool.gif

I do have to say that I find it rather naive & somewhat hypocritical for you to start a thread like this. As others have mentioned, alcohol is technically a drug too and in my experience, people get waay more out of hand & obnoxious when they're drunk than when they're high.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but be prepared for differences and be willing to accept them without offense.

I completely agree that the rules are backwards. Alcohol has established itself as the much more disruptive (personal health and harm to others) psychoactive drug of the two. How our government views it ($$) will stand for some time, regretfully. I don't condone either, but i'd LOVE it if less drunks were on the road.

I have sat next to people that did not drink or smoke anything and acted like a tool. Some times you just get stuck next to an Asshat . Suck it up or say something

There was a lot of folks at the Tampa show puffing in the lot pre concert myself included, our seats had a lot of kids around so we didnt think it was appropriate inside the venue. Some things do change after 30 yrs I guess.

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Oct 5 2010, 10:53 AM)
There was a lot of folks at the Tampa show puffing in the lot pre concert myself included, our seats had a lot of kids around so we didnt think it was appropriate inside the venue. Some things do change after 30 yrs I guess.

Thank you. That's all I'm saying.... Have some respect. I appreciate that.

I much enjoyed the fragrance at the shows. Certainly I prefer it to cigs, obnoxious drunks, or stupid 20-something f*cks talking on their cell phones during the show... smile.gif

On a related note, as a parent of 3 boys (too young for a Rush show still) I wondered how many parents were having discussions with their kids after seeing "A Passage to Bankok" as the S&A encore. It ain't about trains, you know. smile.gif