Pot Use at Shows

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 08:50 AM)
"I think we should legalize marijuana in this country so potheads have nothing to talk about ever again. You are so annoying." - Daniel Tosh

Starting a thread like this is like walking into a school PTA meeting and saying, "You know what I find obnoxious? Kids."

z7shysterical.gif

Even though I don't do drugs (have in the past, tried just about everything except pot), pot smokers at concerts really don't bother me.

#1: They tend to try to be discreet about it. By this, I mean they aren't waving their lit joint around in the air. Even when they hold it at their sides, they keep it tucked in. I've gotten burned by tobacco cigarettes at concerts before because the douche beside me wasn't paying attention to where his lit cigarette was going.

#2: Pot smokers are, by & large, friendly and like to share. Sure, they may keep trying to pass you the joint but at least they are offering. When was the last time the stranger sitting next to you said "Hey, I bought an extra beer...want it?" Plus, I've met more than my fair share of angry, beligerent drunks...but never an angry pot smoker.

I don't know that there's an age cut-off that I'd assign to how old is too old to do drugs.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh jesus christ, grow up and don't take your kids to rock shows if you don't want them to be around drugs. Otherwise, stay inside your house and never go out if you're so damn afraid of everything. This gets so old.

And like posting about it on the rush forum is going to get anything done about it. You're complaining to the wrong people.

banghead.gif

It's cool if people 40+ are still blazing. I went to a show with a friend of the family who is a very succesful attorney and this cat blazes right up and he is 60+. I thought it was very cool that he is keeping it real.

I like all the people blazing at the shows, I've never had a problem with it.

cool10.gif

I will say that I would indulge if I thought it was worth it.

The high just messes with my brain too much and the risk of being caught and ruining my carreer is REALLY not worth it.

I use my money for other things now.

BTW, I'm 49 now. Last I smoked was 2 years ago and only at a friends house, not in public or at a concert.

Edited by Nim2

I still partake. Not like I used to 10 or 20 years ago (I am 40) but i will indulge a couple of times a month on the weekend, or when I get together to jam with my band or go to a concert.

However I partake in privacy.My career is far too important to me. I stopped smoking in my seats over 10 years ago. Most people my age are not smoking at concerts anymore and even if I am in a row with a lot of pot smokers I would not bust mine out anymore. I am also very aware of kids being at the shows and want to be considerate to the parents ( I am one myself). I don't care about pot smokers at all and it is part of the concert going culture. Fact. And not going to change.

In Tampa my buddy and I rolled some kind and he held it in his cig box. We waited till intermission (we partook in out hotel room before heading to the show) and found a nice dark private space between the bathroom and a beer stand and lit up with a cig at the same time. Very easy and bothering none. Plus Police and security was very tight where we were sitting in tampa (just left of the sound board).

I don't need to flaunt it or upset any fellow fan. I am too old for that shit.

But don't hate on people that smoke pot. Drinking alcohol can be far worse and IMO it is. I see more BS at concerts because of excessive drinking. People who are stoned are not violent. Drunks on the other hand....it is pathetic how out of hand they can get and what kind of trouble they will cause.

For the West Palm show we took our 6 year old boy (who had an amazing time and loved every second of the show). A couple was three seats down from us in our row...they knew we had our boy there and they were very discreet in smoking their stuff. Of course we smelt it and at one point my son asked "what's that smell"? (I was tempted to say "Chicken" ala Snakes and Arrows 2008) I just told him cigs and the smoke from the Time Machine. Of course one day we will have plenty of talks with him about drugs and he will know what that "smell" is one day.

Any case my son did not get any contact high that I could detect at all. He was acting like his normal self all night. And never asked again.

Edited by Todem

I have never touched the stuff. The only "drug" I have ever had has been alcohol (and, yes, it is a drug and yes, it can be far more devastating than pot.)

That being said, I have to say that, while it kinda annoys me a bit to smell the stuff as soon as the first few notes of The Spirit Of Radio are played (seriously, I don't even think they got past the fist few bars without me smelling the stuff!), I understand that to be part of going to a concert, especially a Rush concert. I still take my son. He's been to 3 Rush concerts so far and he is only 10. Obnoxious drunks and inconsiderate smokers (cigarettes or otherwise) are not going to keep me from enjoying myself. Oh, and every time I am around the stuff and smell it (burnt or not), it gives me a killer headache. I just take a few aspirin before hand to counteract it. I'm not going to stop people from smoking the stuff.

Personally, I have never thought that I needed to be high to "appreciate" the music, or to "experience" the music. It happens naturally for me. Oh, and for the record, I refuse to drink at concerts, even though I am a regular imbiber of alcohol. It's just stupid to pay good money for a concert ticket, then get all f@cked up and not remember the show.

My personal opinions aside, marijuana is still illegal in most states, and my job requires me to adhere to the law, and enforce it when necessary. It's not for me...never has been and probably never will be, even if it was legal.

But, I also think that ranting about it isn't going to make it go away. beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Clue69Less @ Oct 5 2010, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (TheBlonde @ Oct 5 2010, 11:00 AM)
I don't know that there's an age cut-off that I'd assign to how old is too old to do drugs.

Next thing you know, we'll be told we're too old to see Rush.

Here here.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Oct 5 2010, 11:16 AM)
It's just stupid to pay good money for a concert ticket, then get all f@cked up and not remember the show.

This.

What, you're going to pay a hundred bucks for a ticket, fifty bucks for a shirt, pay for the gas to put in your car to get to the show, pay for parking, maybe pay for dinner beforehand or hitting Denny's after.... and then you spend $300 on beer at the show, get f@cked up and can't remember anything afterward.

Yeah, good plan.

(That's not to say a little drinkin' is always a bad thing, I'm just talking about those 'tards that go to shows with the intention of drinking til they pass out. Winners, all of 'em.)

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 09:04 AM)
I realize this post will rub many the wrong way but this has been bothering me.

I observed numerous people over the age of 40 who were lighting up and acting like idiots.

All I want to say is c'mon everyone. Do we really have to do that at our age? Can we be a little more mature than this?

I have to admit, I was VERY disappointed at the amount of pot smoking where I was sitting at the Atlanta show. It was an endless smell of smoke the entire night, and after a while it started to give me a headache.

But it's not just about me though. You see, I have this ambition of passing the greatness of Rush along to my son. Part of that ambition involves him seeing them live. But if I'm going to have to contend with illegal drug use (if you don't like that terminology, it doesn't really matter because it's technically correct) in such a manner that it directly impacts my son, then I can't really bring him.

And that's really sad, because at this point of my life, I am really focusing on instilling all that is good in life in him, and so bringing him to see a concert has me torn now. Rush is generally a good thing to pass along to the next generation. Smoking of any kind, but especially pot, is generally not.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Oct 5 2010, 09:56 AM)
I do have to say that I find it rather naive & somewhat hypocritical for you to start a thread like this. As others have mentioned, alcohol is technically a drug too and in my experience, people get waay more out of hand & obnoxious when they're drunk than when they're high.

I encountered not one drunk person the entire show in Atlanta. And there had to be 20k people there.

Anyone: is it right that those who choose NOT to indulge in your drug of choice HAVE NO CHOICE but to experience it at a Rush concert?

Because I'm not forced to drink someone else's alcohol....

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:24 PM)
Oh jesus christ, grow up and don't take your kids to rock shows if you don't want them to be around drugs. Otherwise, stay inside your house and never go out if you're so damn afraid of everything.

This is the kind of stupid selfish attitude I experience all too often.

And it COMPLETELY misses the point in my case.

Edited by Rush Cocky

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 5 2010, 12:34 PM)
I do have to say that I find it rather naive & somewhat hypocritical for you to start a thread like this. As others have mentioned, alcohol is technically a drug too and in my experience, people get waay more out of hand & obnoxious when they're drunk than when they're high.

I encountered not one drunk person the entire show in Atlanta. And there had to be 20k people there.

Anyone: is it right that those who choose NOT to indulge in your drug of choice HAVE NO CHOICE but to experience it at a Rush concert?

+1 goodpost.gif

Couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 5 2010, 01:34 PM)

Very good point.

Sidenote - I wish I could agree with you. At least 10 very drunk people were surrounding our seats. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to cover it...

Call me stupid and selfish but I don't have the time to re-read the same posts over and over and still try to make the same passionate argument more than once. If this was the first time someone mentioned pot on this board I would be willing to have a conversation, but this is like the billionth time this tour someone has brought it up. Guess I should just start ignoring all these threads.

I admit, and easier and less offensive reply would have just been to simply say: POT IS AWESOME cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2010, 01:58 PM)

Sidenote - I wish I could agree with you. At least 10 very drunk people were surrounding our seats. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to cover it...

Sure, not saying they weren't there, just saying that those around me on the lawn weren't visibly drunk. But the smoke was pouring in like I was living in some 1800s factory town. The worst part was I couldn't isolate it because it was so dark at that point, and so even if I wanted to move, there was no guarantee that I would have been successful in avoiding it.

On a lighter note.....one of the funnier things of the night was this dude near the front of the lawn section, who I swear was a Napoleon Dynamite clone, was dancing his rear end off to Rush. laugh.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 5 2010, 08:39 AM)
It is simply aggravating to me that 40 somethings in this day and age would succumb to using drugs. Again, in my opinion it is immature to use any drug to escape reality even for a second. I don't buy into the thinking that one uses pot to enjoy the show. I think there are deeper issues at hand for the person who uses any drug that they don't want to address.

My opinion.....

rofl3.gif

We Are Brought up to be on Drugs !

I see advertisments on TV every night & day for so many Drugs it's unreal

I hear advertisements on the radio telling me how these drugs are good

I see advertisemnts on the internet sporting how drugs will improve your life ( your reality ! )

So good luck with that ! BTW, if you have taken aspern to combat a headache

Then,

You Took Drugs To Change Your Reality ! yes.gif

OH Yea, I'm way past 40 something & at this mature point in my life I reserve the right to act "Immature" when I choose fit to.

IMHO applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 5 2010, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:24 PM)
Oh jesus christ, grow up and don't take your kids to rock shows if you don't want them to be around drugs. Otherwise, stay inside your house and never go out if you're so damn afraid of everything.

This is the kind of stupid selfish attitude I experience all too often.

And it COMPLETELY misses the point in my case.

EXACTLY. Let's look at it very simply and logically. Rush is a band that's been around since 1974. People get their kids into Rush because they want to share this awesome band with them - it's human nature. People want to take their kids to see Rush before they're gone - again, completely reasonable.

And then there's people who, knowing full well there are going to be kids at shows, decide to smoke pot right there in front of everyone. I'm not even going into it being illegal and forbidden at every venue. You could argue it's wrong just for that reason alone.

There are two ways these potential pot smokers could choose to look at things:

1. Wow, there are going to be kids there, not to mention other people who might not want to breathe in my pot smoke. I think I'll smoke at home, or in the car, or maybe I'll try seeing if I can enjoy the concert without being wasted.

An example:

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Oct 5 2010, 10:53 AM)
There was a lot of folks at the Tampa show puffing in the lot pre concert myself included, our seats had a lot of kids around so we didnt think it was appropriate inside the venue. Some things do change after 30 yrs I guess.

2. It's a rock concert and that's just what people do and no one is going to f*ck with my good time, and if people are stupid enough to bring their kids it's their own damn fault. I'm not being irresponsible - you're just being an irresponsible parent. Just let me do my thing and leave me alone and don't you dare criticize me for it.

An example:

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Oct 5 2010, 09:24 AM)
Oh jesus christ, grow up and don't take your kids to rock shows if you don't want them to be around drugs. Otherwise, stay inside your house and never go out if you're so damn afraid of everything. This gets so old.

In my mind the 1st point of view is just common courtesy, respect and being kind and responsible. The 2nd point of view is completely selfish. Defend that point of view if you need to. Rationalize it however you need to, but it's still completely selfish. No one is coming into your house and saying you can't do your thing, but when you go out in public, you might want to consider other people and how you're going to affect them. Just sayin'...

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 5 2010, 01:45 PM)
i'll take a pot smoker over a drunk anyday. cool10.gif

Post-smoking pot vs post-getting wasted?

I'll take the post-pot smoker everytime. They are mellow.

If it's DURING the act, I take the guy drinking everytime because I do not care to be around pot smoke. Doing it in a public place takes away the choice of those around you to experience the drug. They (we) are forced to experience it just because we like the same music?

If you wanna smoke, smoke in your car, or in a designated smoking section. DO NOT force those around you to make the choice of "stay and watch Rush" or "leave because the selfish guy next to me is giving me/my wife/my kid a contact high"

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

I'm only 31 so I can't speak for the older crowd, but I think a lot of people in their 40s-50s-60s go to concerts for the sole purpose of "reliving their youth", and lighting up is just another part of the experience. To me and most younger people it makes them look pretty stupid, but I guess I can see where they're coming from.