Remastered Series (cd)

2112freak

does anyone own the Remastered version of any of their cd's that are out?

how do they compare to the original pressings?

i see there are a bunch available and was hoping the sound quality is better so i can pick up some/all of them.

i have all of Rush's cds but notice the production does fluctuate....esp on Presto...that must be the worst one!! i understand why the older ones don't sound as good as the more recent, but c'mon, Presto isn't THAT old!

any info would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

trink39.gif

Well the CD remasters are all 13 years old now, I don't think the original pressings are even available anymore. They all sound much better than the original CDs though, from what I can remember. You might want to hold out until next year though, there's supposed to be a NEW set of remasters coming out.

I just bought the remasters of Moving Pictures, Signals and Caress of Steel and I think they blow the originals out of the water...no question. They are louder but there's also more bass and a better "pop" on the drums. I also bought the new SHM-CD versions of Hemispheres and Moving Pictures. I havent got Moving Pictures but the SHM-CD of Hemispheres blows the remaster out of the water. Closest you'll ever get to vinyl on digital medium. If you're really an anal audiophile (like me!), you'll search out the MFSL versions of 2112, Moving Pictures, Signals and Permanent Waves. PW is still available from MOFI but the others are out of print. I just won Signals on ebay and I already own the MSFL Permanent Waves and it is the best version out there!

All the original pressings surpass the remasters, with the exception of Caress Of Steel, whose original pressing seemed to be sourced from a high-gen tape, therefore resulting in print-through which degraded the quality, and Presto, whose remaster adds more bass and punch to the recording, while not compressing the dynamic range of the recording. I suppose I could add Roll The Bones to the list of albums I prefer the remasters over the originals from. IMO, the 1997 remasters are too loud and have too much high end. I believe Broon, Henderson, and Collins had things right the first time. cool.gif

All of this is smilies-8579.png of course. 2.gif

P.S. The Vapor Trails remaster is also worth picking up! yes.gif ... Oh wait. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Oct 4 2010, 09:25 PM)
the "unofficial" vapor trails remaster is decent!

whats this you speak of?

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 3 2010, 05:29 PM)
but if you're talking about the Atlantic remasters (Presto through Test for Echo) there isn't much of a difference.

Agreed on this.

Rush through Hold Your Fire there is an amazing difference. Don't know about A Show Of Hands though.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 3 2010, 04:27 PM)
Well the CD remasters are all 13 years old now, I don't think the original pressings are even available anymore. They all sound much better than the original CDs though, from what I can remember. You might want to hold out until next year though, there's supposed to be a NEW set of remasters coming out.

Damn, i've only just started buying all their albums! I have just bought 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Exit...Stage Left. Still, i can't complain about the pricess i got them for from Amazon - very reasonable!

I'm not saying I dont like the original CD releases, itss just that I have to crank up my system to hear them! Now, the MFSL releases I have (Permanent Waves and Signals) I dont have to crank up to hear all the fine dynamics. I just think the first wave CD releases were inferior in quality. Just my opinion though. I'm sure others might disagree.

Actually I would like to add that the new SHM-CD's from Japan have the warmth of the original releases without the compression. For those that loved the original CD releases and enjoy vinyl, these SHM's are the way to go. They're the closest I've heard CD's come to sounding like records! Worth the extra $$ in my opinion. Plus, the Japanese know a thing or two about great packaging!

Im not buying any more cds till next year when they Remaster the albums again, I plan to pick up Hemispheres , Aftk, COS, FBN, and Hyof.

oh and CWA 1022.gif

I've heard good things about the SHM-CDs, but since they're only available as imports and going for $50 a piece I think I'm gonna have to pass. We're supposed to be getting new remasters next year anyway.

I only have 4 remasters (2112, PeW, MPS & Signals) and they all blow the originals out of the water. I have the MFSL version of Signals, and to my ears (and I'm somewhat of an audiophile), it sounds EXACTLY like the original Signals disc, so the remaster is still a significant improvement. I can't speak for the other MFSL releases or SHM, but I would say to not waste your money on the MFSL Signals release. IMHO...

it could be my imagination, but the 97 remasters, the 03 compilation remasters, and the 06 "Gold" compilation all sound different to me. Were these all remastered separately? I think the Gold ones sound the best, but they're a little on the loud side.

MFSL stands for Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. I don't know anything technical about it, so I can't help there but I have a few in my collection (not Rush) and the improvement runs from the minimal to the sublime.

I actually chimed in here to talk about the '97 remasters. After being around long enough to have purchased all the albums, a few cassettes and then all the CD's I was a little hesitant to fork over the $$ without knowing more.

I don't recall now, but my guess is there wasn't a copy of the Signals remaster or I would have tried that first. That was the first album that I remember thinking I didn't like the production of, a little muddy, I thought. Anyway, I ended up buying AFTK, one of my favourites. The result? Disappointment. I felt it had all the worst qualities of a CD and none of the improvements it could have had. That was the end of my remasters experiment.

I would like a better Signals, Caress of Steel, and for sure, Vapour Trails but I'm a bit leery - would like to know what others have experienced.

I bought all the 97 remasters 13 years ago when they came out, and I remember thinking they sounded amazing. Now for some reason they sound a little thin to me. I'm interested to see what the new remasters will sound like.

Archived