Where Is Your R-Spot?

HowItIs

On the old Genesis Forum (curse you to hell, Ultrastar!), we had a thread that we called "Where is your G-Spot?" No, it had nothing to do with sex....

This is about those moments during a song where you simply cannot help but stop and listen. Or play air bass/guitar/drum. Or sing. Or close your eyes and think, "Damn these guys are great!"

It's a given that you like the song in question, now look for those R-spots and tell us where yours is...

Here are mine:

1. 2112 - the transition into Priests, after "And the meek...", when that galloping beat begins.

2. The Trees - after the instrumental break, when Alex does those little staccato guitar bits.

3. La Villa Strangiato - the first time the Strangiato theme is played; Waltz of the Shreve; A Farewell To Things

4. The Spirit Of Radio - that arepggio!! After the break, the sudden change back to the original key/time (not sure which or both?) before the reggae bit.

5. Freewill - that two beat bounce in the chorus

6. Natural Science - the transition from Tide Pools to Hyperspace

7. Tom Sawyer - "... changes aren't permanent, but change is..." one of my favorite Rush phrases.

8. YYZ - that awesome bass break... you know, the one with the harmonics?!

9. Red Sector A - the way Geddy sings "... prayer to profanity..." (actually this is one of Ged's best vocals, IMO)

10. Time Stand Still - the first time the keyboard hook is played (that Aimee Man then sings). So plaintive.

11. Roll The Bones - the bass break just before the "organ" keys come in; the "rap"

12. Leave That Thing Alone! - the 2nd time the guitar phrase plays, the drums... floor tom to high-pitched tom

13. Ghost Of A Chance - that tasty guitar lick after the chorus

14. One Little Victory - the shuffle drum beat; "One little victo-reeeeeeeeeee.."

15. Far Cry - "... one day I fly through a hole in the sky..."; those thundering drums at the end!

16. BU2B - The way Geddy puts across the sarcasm in "... loves us all to death."

17. Caravan - the instrumental section with those deep, pounding drums.

Okay... your turn! biggrin.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you hit a few of mine, but also in The Camera Eye when the intro kicks up a notch. I'm not a "musical guy" so I can't use fancy words to describe it, but the part in the intro that goes from slow to fast biggrin.gif

Usually for me it is when Ged and Neil are laying down algebra beneath a goosebump inducing solo by Alex. The solo sections in Between The Wheels, Emotion Detector, Marathon, Dreamline, and Camera Eye are prime examples. Too many to mention though. That's what drew me to Rush in the first place. Could be something as simple as that effect that comes in right after the line" if you don't burn out to fast" in Marathon.

2112 - During Oracle after "Dream, can't you show me light?" when the echo fades back in and Geddy belts out "I stand atop a spiral stair!" I love that!

Same thing during Soliloquy after Ged sings "not fade like all my dreams..." and then comes back in with "just think of what my life might be, in a world like I have seen!"...he sounds so good there. Gives me goosebumps every time.

Fountain of Lamneth - No One at the Bridge. Geddy's vocals during this part and Alex's solo at the end.

La Villa - Lerxst in Wonderland...what really needs to be said about this? Proof that Alex should get name checked as one of the greats more often.

Tom Sawyer - The very beginning. That opening synth and the drums sound so cool. wub.gif

A Farewell to Kings - I really love the lyrics to this song, maybe my favorite ever. I love the part when Ged sings "Oh, can't we learn to feel what's right and what's wrong? WHAT'S WRONG!!" then it goes into that sweet jam. Neil and Alex are too good during that part.

Tons of others, some already mentioned.

Freewill - The bit after the solo where Alex plays two of the arpeggios higher than every other time

Entre Nous - In the second verse, Alex's lightning-fast strumming

Red Barchetta - Geddy's introductory bass line and then the way all three of them come in together

The Enemy Within - The bass line in the chorus, so much fun to play

Middletown Dreams - The muted guitar and the bass in the "It's understood..." section

Animate - The section at 2:45 where Geddy plays the chords instead of single notes, and also the way he sings "a touch of grace"

I loveeeee that part in Marathon during the solo when Neil does that thundering low tom fill followed buy a fast all around fill.

No matter where I am and how I feel when I listen it, I air drum to that part. Every time.

I also loveeeee that part in the 'Soliloquy' movement of 2112 when Geddy sings his heart out; it's one of the saddest pieces of music I own.

I have waaay more; but I'll come back to you guys later with them.

2.gif rules!

QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 1 2010, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Oct 1 2010, 09:21 AM)
....when Ged and Neil are laying down algebra beneath a goosebump inducing solo by Alex...

Genius---the way you stated this....

Agreed. A very descriptive phrase cool.gif

When Geddy sings Xaaaaaannnnnnaaaaaaaaaduuuuuu in Xanadu

Synth opening in Subdivisions

Ending of Bastile Day

Ending of Digital Man where Geddy's voice is warped

Asian opening in A Passage To Bangkok

Neil's percussion (cowbells? blocks?) in the middle of Closer to the Heart

The triumphant guitar solo that ends The Necromancer.

The extended Discovery in 2112 (Different Stages).

The gloriously thunderous chords in Subdivisions, Natural Science, and Earthshine.

Any part of the melodic groove in Red Barchetta.

La Villa Strangiato - Alex's blues solo strengthens and then climaxes into pure passion (Exit Stage Left and Rush In Rio)

Gawd....I could go on all night..... 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Just to think up a few:

Hemispheres:

I always 'air triangle' on the lone triangle note.(espicially when driving! Don't tell anyone! tongue.gif )

The entrance when geddy sings: "Then all at once the chaos ceased..."

Stick It Out:

"To make the wrong thing seem right"

Almost makes me want to laugh:

The Enemy Within: pa-pa-pa pounding in your temples.

Just a few.

alex guitar solo in Cut to the Chase

"LIKE A STREAK OF LIGHTING" Marathon

Alex Guitar Solo in Afterimage

Mandolin in Working Them Angels

We have assumed control 2112

I too am a fan of the "Prelude ding" as it will be called from now on.

Another great moment is in the middle part of Jacob's Ladder, right when the arpeggio section is starting...Neil is beginning and ending each measure with a splash cymbal strike. It makes me think of thunder/lightning in the distance. Such imagery. I Love it.

I am REALLY enjoying this thread. I knew there would be so many perfect Rush moments to talk about...

And we now have a new Rush meme: The Prelude *ding*

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The opening riff to LIMELIGHT and then later the hauntingly beautiful solo gets me EVERY time. 2.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 2 2010, 03:39 AM)
the first and last chords of middletown dreams

Yes.

Actually, that whole song is my r-spot. The solo in "Emotion Detector" is another one, too.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 1 2010, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Oct 1 2010, 09:21 AM)
....when Ged and Neil are laying down algebra beneath a goosebump inducing solo by Alex...

Genius---the way you stated this....

Thanks. But why won't those chicks in your signature turn around:) Don't know which one I like best they are all so awesome!

Archived