Running out of chances to DVD this tour

Pause Rewind Replay

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Sep 20 2010, 08:49 AM)
It will be a pathetic shame if this tour isn't filmed just because either Neil or some suit in marketing doesn't want him seen on DVD wearing headphones.

There will NOT be a DVD of this tour and it's not because of Neil's headphones (ear infection early on related to IEMs). Right now, the plan is to go back into the studio to finish the album after Brazil. Do a 3 month mini-tour in September 2011, followed by a full blown, album promoting tour in 2012. DVD to follow that one.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Sep 20 2010, 11:37 AM)
It will be a pathetic shame if this tour isn't filmed just because either Neil or some suit in marketing doesn't want him seen on DVD wearing headphones.

There will NOT be a DVD of this tour and it's not because of Neil's headphones (ear infection early on related to IEMs). Right now, the plan is to go back into the studio to finish the album after Brazil. Do a 3 month mini-tour in September 2011, followed by a full blown, album promoting tour in 2012. DVD to follow that one.

Thanks, FOH Lights! Please tell the band, from a fan like me, to please make sure The Camera Eye and that killer re-vamped drum solo make it to the DVD. Those two reasons alone are enough for me to buy. The stuff from the new album (which so far are amazing) - will be the icing on an already over-fattening cake. My favorite kind.

trink39.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 20 2010, 11:49 AM)
I don't know. Seems to me the DVD's lose a little bit of something when every tour is done now.

Personally, I disagree. Here is another example where Rush took the norm and turned it on its ear. Why should a band only release a live recording of their work only once or twice throughout their career? We've been conditioned to accept this throughout the years, but Rush questioned it and responded by capturing every tour since T4E. I think it's flipping brilliant. And yes, it does get to be a bit much to have so many live versions of the same song - but in a heartbeat I'd opt to have them rather than not have them.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Sep 20 2010, 10:37 AM)

Source please? This runs a bit contrary to what the band themselves have said recently. I mean, I hope 2011 (three months isn't exactly a "mini" your) and 2012 are in the works, but this is the first mention of a tour in 2012.

Peace,

Ron

Unless they plan on doing M.P agian on the mini tour next september, this is lame . How do you Not record this ?

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Sep 20 2010, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Sep 20 2010, 10:37 AM)

Source please? This runs a bit contrary to what the band themselves have said recently. I mean, I hope 2011 (three months isn't exactly a "mini" your) and 2012 are in the works, but this is the first mention of a tour in 2012.

Peace,

Ron

He IS the source laugh.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 20 2010, 12:20 PM)
wtf is a mini tour anyways?

Usually a tour that lasts a few weeks, 3 to 6 and does hit a lot of the citys a full scale tour does .

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 20 2010, 10:49 AM)
I don't know. Seems to me the DVD's lose a little bit of something when every tour is done now.

I don't think it does at all. What better way is there for a band to document their live show for each tour? I want all their tours to be released on CD/DVD from now on. You can relieve the experience of seeing them live whenever you like and it's also a great way to get fans to see the show who may have not been able to attend. Weather it was because of money issues or Rush didn't come around their area, everyone gets a chance to see/hear the show in some way.

AC/DC has also done this every tour since 1991 I think. If a band has the money and means to do it than why not? Since Rush takes longer between studio releases now, it's not a bad idea at all. It allows them to release something to hold the fans over until the next album.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I thought that this was coined as a mini tour. I miss the days when they would have "legs" of tours. I think that they toured for the better part of a year back in the 80s. Seems like I would see them in the fall and then they would be back in the spring.

I agree it would be a shame not to release a DVD of this tour. The video intros and concept are awesome and should be released in DVD / blu ray quality for the fans rather than having to watch them as you tube clips..plus, they probably wont ever do the full MP album again, so it would be really nice to preserve this show for future generations who will never get to see them play it end to end.

Then again...I would buy a DVD of every tour if they offered them!

Edited by Barry

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 20 2010, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 20 2010, 10:49 AM)

I don't think it does at all. What better way is there for a band to document their live show for each tour? I want all their tours to be released on CD/DVD from now on. You can relieve the experience of seeing them live whenever you like and it's also a great way to get fans to see the show who may have not been able to attend. Weather it was because of money issues or Rush didn't come around their area, everyone gets a chance to see/hear the show in some way.

AC/DC has also done this every tour since 1991 I think. If a band has the money and means to do it than why not? Since Rush takes longer between studio releases now, it's not a bad idea at all. It allows them to release something to hold the fans over until the next album.

Yeah, I guess.

They used to be so infrequent and thus so special. I'd watch them over and over. Now they are semi-indistinguishable from each other. Same concert, few different songs, new drum set each time.

Maybe its just that the old concert vids (with the exception of GUP) were back when I didn't get to see them live and always dreamed of what it would be like to see them. Now I see them once or twice every tour and have the dvd of every tour. They've just lost some magic. Maybe I'm just old. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Sep 20 2010, 12:40 PM)
if there isn't a Time Machine DVD I'll riot. Ok not really, but I'll be extremely disappointed... I swear if we don't get Marathon and Camera Eye on DVD I'm going to lose my mind.

I'm not inclined to riot, and I've already lost my mind. biggrin.gif

That said, it's hard for me to express the degree to which I'll be dissappointed if they don't film this particular tour. In general, I love their DVD's of each of their tours, if for no other reason than I like having the option to sit down in front of the tv, and pick whichever of their most recent tours I happen to be in the mood to see. As the years pass, I'm always grateful to be able to pick any particular tour to watch on any particular day.

Given this set-list, and the WAY in which they're playing right now, it would be a terrible shame not to have it as a keepsake.

QUOTE (ZivotSon @ Sep 20 2010, 04:52 PM)
At some point, it's overkill. I'd be happy if they filmed and included a few of rarely played songs as a bonus feature on the 2011 tour DVD. Kind of what they did with the 2008 tour, but in reverse.

That's an interesting point... but I'm not sure that I'd agree.

If they film each tour, what is it about filming them that makes it overkill?

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Sep 20 2010, 05:38 PM)
It's not going to be "overkill" when they're retired in 10 years, and all we have to remember them is the DVDs

goodpost.gif

Excellent point, and it will probably be more like 5-8 years. sad.gif

If only they had filmed all the early tours: R, FBN, COS, 2112, AFTK, H, Pew. Can you imagine? ohmy.gif sad.gif

I'd love to have tour DVDs from even the later years: PoW wub.gif , P, RTB, CP, TFE, VT. Sign me up. trink36.gif

(Okay, we kind of have VT with RIR and R30, but not the same setlist.)

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Sep 20 2010, 05:38 PM)
It's not going to be "overkill" when they're retired in 10 years, and all we have to remember them is the DVDs

I totally agree, besides with the new stage and setlist being what it is, we need documentation. If it isn't documented it didn't happen, that's what I say (ha-ha)

At the very least I would like a DS quality cd of the entire show. If they do record, they need to get it right. DS is killer.