Have you ever seen Neil,Alex or Geddy in public?

charliewang

I've lurked here for a while but when I saw this thread, I felt like I should tell my stories.

So...back in the very early eighties, I was in high school and played guitar and was waaay into Rush....I saw several shows in the early eighties. I live in Southern Ontario (Burlington).

Well...along came the late eighties and I didn't like the direction the band took and so I forgot about them....

So, in about 1996-7, I was at an antique show call "Christies" in Flamborough Ontario. Its about 40 minutes southwest of Toronto. Well, who should be looking at the same chair as me, shoulder to shoulder but Geddy Lee. I took note of who he was and mentioned it to my wife who could really care less (not a fan). Since it had been many years since my interest faded, I also just walked on - and he obviously did likewise.

So another year or two goes by and I'm working for a large Telcom in downtown Toronto. We frequently went to the big "mall" (Eaton Centre) for some lunch. On the way back on this fateful day, I'm coming off the subway at St.Andrews station (right across from Roy Thompson Hall) and who pushes me out of the way because he's in such a hurry?....Yep...Geddy again. I said "Take your time buddy" before I knew it was him....he have me a slightly apologetic glance as he headed into Roy Thompson hall, clipboard in hand. Once again, I commented to a co-worked..."Hey...Geddy Lee"...and got a flat "So what?" in return.

Since then a good musician friend of mine leant me the vapour trails DVD and I am once again hooked! I wish I had still been a major fan during those two encounters...Oh well....I'll likely never bump into him again.

Cheer all.

-gf

QUOTE (griffon67 @ Apr 18 2005, 09:02 PM)
I've lurked here for a while but when I saw this thread, I felt like I should tell my stories.

So...back in the very early eighties, I was in high school and played guitar and was waaay into Rush....I saw several shows in the early eighties. I live in Southern Ontario (Burlington).
Well...along came the late eighties and I didn't like the direction the band took and so I forgot about them....

So, in about 1996-7, I was at an antique show call "Christies" in Flamborough Ontario. Its about 40 minutes southwest of Toronto. Well, who should be looking at the same chair as me, shoulder to shoulder but Geddy Lee. I took note of who he was and mentioned it to my wife who could really care less (not a fan). Since it had been many years since my interest faded, I also just walked on - and he obviously did likewise.

So another year or two goes by and I'm working for a large Telcom in downtown Toronto. We frequently went to the big "mall" (Eaton Centre) for some lunch. On the way back on this fateful day, I'm coming off the subway at St.Andrews station (right across from Roy Thompson Hall) and who pushes me out of the way because he's in such a hurry?....Yep...Geddy again. I said "Take your time buddy" before I knew it was him....he have me a slightly apologetic glance as he headed into Roy Thompson hall, clipboard in hand. Once again, I commented to a co-worked..."Hey...Geddy Lee"...and got a flat "So what?" in return.

Since then a good musician friend of mine leant me the vapour trails DVD and I am once again hooked! I wish I had still been a major fan during those two encounters...Oh well....I'll likely never bump into him again.

Cheer all.
-gf

ohmy.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (griffon67 @ Apr 18 2005, 10:02 PM)

Cheer all.
-gf

laugh.gif Excellent!

Welcome to the board trink39.gif

TWO chance sightings! Wow...great stories. Thanks for sharing!

smile.gif

It's kinda weird...but I occasionally dream I meet Alex at a Rush show or something and after I drool all over myself as I tell him what a fan I am and thank him for his influence on my guitar playing etc., we end up having a few beers together and then I wake up and realize...F#!K THIS WAS ONLY A DREAM!!!!>>>>>alas...no sightings here... fists crying.gif

QUOTE (griffon67 @ Apr 18 2005, 09:02 PM)

Cheer all.
-gf

Wow, very interesting story. Sort of ironic when you think about it.

Welcome to the board! bekloppt.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

In 1983 I won Toronto's Q107 Mystery Riff contest! I got to fly to New York City and watch Rush from backstage on the 5th sold-out show (September 23rd, 1983). At the time, I was a member of Toronto's Rush Backstage Club and had bumped into "Drew Allen" aka Andrew MacNaughton at Black's Camera on St. Clair, where he worked prior to the contest. Somehow I also had Andrew's phone number (I think I was in the process of renewing my membership). So, when Q-107 played the 5-song mystery-riff the day prior to the call-in, I knew every song but one... so I called up Andrew, and played him the riff. He advised that the song I was missing was clearly "In The Mood". I was the first to call in on the night of the contest, and I had the correct answer. I got to take my best-friend and we flew to New York City to catch the best Rush show of my life! Q107's All-Night Andre took us behind Radio City. As we stood on the side-walk, Andre shouted up to Howard Ungerleider to let us in... We walked past the whole line-up and upstairs. I recognized some famous people milling around, including Vitas Guerrilitus and some guys that reminded me of Blue Oyster Cult, but were probably from the opening band: Marrillion. During Xanadu I stood right behind the curtain standing amongst Alex's guitars, as a tech took a silent metre to each of them to make sure they remained in tune. It was an awesome and powerful thing to watch the professionalism of Rush as they perform on stage just a few feet away from you. Watching them silently communicate with each other through the wall of sound was also fascinating too. Alex loves to make Neil or Geddy smile during the show. After the concert I got to talk to Geddy and Alex. Neil bypassed the meet'n greet, but I wasn't surprised. I think he had an interview to do. Geddy was friendly, but looked very tired, and gave a limp hand-shake. He was very gracious. Alex was full of life, and gave me a firm hand-shake and asked how I liked New York City and if I enjoyed the concert and where I won the tickets. He really put me at ease, but I kept finding myself looking at his teeth (of all things). I was quite nervous at the time, and I didn't even bother to tell him that I played about 17 songs of theirs on the piano (from Rush's Deluxe Anthology). Even today I just sat down and pounded out The Trees on my digital piano...

By the way, excellent Forum. I haven't visited a Rush website in ages, but stumbed upon this one tonight, the very day that Alex's case is over...

I was at Nemocloin Woodlands and this guy pulled up on a RED BWM street bike, we got started talking to him and asked where he was going and the like, he said he was from Canada and was heading back there. When I finally bought Ghost Rider and looked at the picture on the back, it was Neil Peart I talked to!! I did not have a clue.

Or at least I think it was. Thats for your judgment i guess.

I'm 95% sure I saw Geddy at Pearson International in Toronto (YYZ). He was sitting down drinking something and I was in a rush (no pun intended), so I didn't have time to confirm it. I was so disappointed I had to leave so early, I really wanted to talk to him. sad.gif

No, but I've seen two dead ringer look-alikes in Canada... the first one was a waiter at the Hard Rock Cafe in Niagara Falls Canada. I started to ask him if anybody has ever told him he looks just like... and he interrupted me and said "Geddy Lee, yes, all the time ! " He looked like Geddy in his younger days. I flirted with the guy so much, and left him a huge tip. biggrin.gif

The second time was again in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side... I could have sworn it was him, same height, hair, face, glasses.... I was staring at him so much. I finally figured out that it wasn't him, because the guy's nose wasn't big enough. rofl3.gif Until I realized it wasn't him, my legs were literally shaking. tongue.gif

Archived