Why more women at Rush Shows

losingit2k

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 17 2010, 03:43 PM)
I'd love to be front row at TO but traveling for Rush doesn't really fit in my budget, unless it's travling somewhere I know someone (relative, friend). Travel $$ + tix (front row ones at that!) + hotel + food/merch/etc. = a lot for this lady.

I truly envy those who can just travel 'round the states, or world, to follow Rush and get to be in the first 5 rows everytime. eh.gif

Same here. I know there's no way I'd be able to afford front row tickets, or even find a way to get to Toronto, lol.

I wish the rest of you luck though! Hope you can make it happen.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Rush since 1978. I swiped my mom's Hemispheres album. Have been hooked since then.

The hubby is a casual fan.

My oldest son, he's 11, loves them! SO does my oldest daughter, she's 22.

I'm on facebook if anyone wants to add me. I think you can find me under afurrything. My profile picture is Eddie's hands. If you can't find me that way my name is Mindi Denson.

I'm 16. M dad did indeed introduce me to the boys when I was about 12-13. The first song I reeeeally listened to and tried to figure out was CTTH. wub.gif I'm now probably a bigger fan than him. My mom doesn't Get It, though, unfortunately. sad.gif Otherwise we'd have an entire household hooked on Rush. I've converted my little sister. laugh.gif

I first heard of Rush in the 6th grade (a very long time ago) and that's all the boys would talk about. I figured people who think burping noises are great entertainment have no taste in music. Wrong!!! I didn't wise up until I bought my husband (long time fan) tix to the snakes and arrows tour. Omg, I totally fell in love with their music right then and there and have been listening to them ever since (trying to catch up for 30 years of ignorance). The time machine tour was beyond excellent. Wish I could see another show.

P.S. The best advantage of being female at a Rush concert -- no lines for the bathrooms -- even during intermission! biggrin.gif

Edited by rebelyank

I didn'tknow this thread was going to be so popular. I just through the question out there in jest! Who would know? It's great to see the power of the guys music at work! I introduce my daughter to them at the age of 10 during the Vapor Trails and she fell in love with Secret Touch, now she knows and sings alone with justabout every song and shes been a fan ever since. Actually her first concert was Counterparts Tour but she was in the womb thrashing so to speak. I guess it was built in since then! Lately she found out her Chorus teacher in Middle school is a fan as well, so she bring in Rush Cds for listening day to which her teacher replies" Thanks for making my ears feel better!" I guess after hearing all the crap that kids listen to these day. Geddy is a welcome soothing voice. Anyway she has a nice friendship there now! My 8 year son has also fallen to the Rush bug as well after he heard Far Cry! Which is the reason I feel these are instant classics (Thats another Thread entirely). I'm living through their eyes now!

I guess you Can't stop the power that is RUSH!

wub.gif

I wish I could track down an old high school boyfriend I had. He came over one day to listen to records and all he brought was his complete colllection of Rush albums (up to Power Windows at that point I think). I just rolled my eyes and didn't listen to a thing he played. I was into Duran Duran and Wham! at the time (yeah I know) and just didn't get it. Now I want to tell him I GET IT!! You were right and I was wrong! cheer.gif

Been a fan since I was about 16. I heard 2112 and Moving Pictures at the youth club. Not sure whether I would ever have really listened to them if a boy I fancied hadn't been the one who brought them blush4.gif , but once I'd heard them a couple of times I really liked them and sought out their back catalogue, and the rest is history.

It's only in recent years I've met people who are as into them as I am, and they are all men.

Interestingly, at Manchester in 2007 the woman next to me was on her feet dancing and singing the whole time while her chap sat down for most of the show. 2.gif

I've been a fan ever since I was 11 (26 now) when my dad showed me AFTK and I was hooked. I remember hearing the melodic guitars of Xanadu and being COMPLETLY in love!

I just had the most awesome experience in Pittsburgh last week... after dating guys all my life who consistantly made fun of me for loving Rush I am now dating a man who LOVES Rush as much as I do and we went to the concert together. biggrin.gif It was so much fun rocking out together, holding hands and singing along to songs we've both loved as long as we can remember. I think it's kinda cool how we met because of Rush and it's like the magic of Rush brought us together again that night. It was an indescribable feeling.

There's just something magical about those Rushboys.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 18 2010, 10:32 AM)
Actually her first concert was Counterparts Tour but she was in the womb thrashing so to speak. I guess it was built in since then!

Hey, me too! My parents saw that tour twice, and my mom was pregnant with me at the time. She said that one of those shows was a last minute decision, and while buying tickets at the venue they heard part of Nobody's Hero during sound check. Maybe that explains why it's one of my favorite Rush songs!

One day during my freshman year in high school in 1990, my science teacher brought his awesome stereo system to class. Using loud music, a mirror and a laser, he would put on a small laser light show every year for his freshmen students. Every year, they loved it (as upperclass Physics students, it got a bit ho hum). Suffice it to say, the stereo never left the room. Before school and after school he'd crank his favorite music. Being a physics nerd as well as a music lover, I spent a lot of time there. When Roll the Bones came out, he started playing it, and later brought in Chronicle. I loved them both instantly. Mike influenced me in many ways over those four years (and beyond), not the least of which is my taste in music.

My college roommate turned best friend didn't pay much attention when I played Rush in college, but five months ago, she married a guy who is a HUGE Rush fan and attended her first concert last month. She called me during Neil's drum solo to tell me how much she was loving it.

I have yet to attend a concert myself. Not by choice, mind you--I am the only Rush fan I know for nearly 200 miles and I can't drive! fists crying.gif

When Permanent Waves came out, I was working at Tower Records in Las Vegas. Heard that album a lot and liked it but never got to the point where I looked into back catalog. Incidentally, the same thing happened with Genesis and Duke, but that's neither here nor there....

I wasn't quite ready to accept the Prog Rock gospel at the tender age of 19. My (now) Husband WAS into Prog quite heavily. We'd been friends in HS but lost touch until he walked into Tower 2 years later and set Trilogy down at my cash register. He asked me out and the rest, as they say.... Anyway, he and his then-roommate played me Rush, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, et.al. and I was hooked.

Saw Rush on the Moving Pictures Tour at the Aladdin from the 8th row, center (we and my cousins are actually on the cover of Exit...Stage Left). Up to that point, I hadn't necessarily been physically attracted to any of my Prog "heroes." That changed that night! A month later we saw Genesis. This only reinforced my attraction. Since he was responsible for creating the monster, my Hubby has accepted this. (like he has a choice)

Anyway, it was a man (2, really) who got me into Rush (and the rest) but my mania has far outstripped the original source. bncegrn.gif

I started listening to Rush in 1978. I remember it very clearly, I had the radio on, and an add for a show that would preview new albums came on. (Album rock radio stations used to do that back then.) They were advertising Hemispheres, and playing Circumstances. I had never heard anything that sounded like that before. When the show came on I listened to the album, and as soon as I could I went out and bought the record. That was it for me, I was singing the gospel of Rush from there on out. I was already a huge Pink Floyd fan and Yes fan, so it was a natural.

Though I've never been to a Rush concert -- but I dream to do so one day -- I am certain that I'd attend one with my dad. He's a fan as well and was the person to get me into the band; I have also reintroduced them to him. My dad is almost fifty-two (born in 1958). He's known them since 1976, the days of All the World's a Stage, and never really paid too close attention to them until I became a Rushian myself. tongue.gif

When the Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary came to theatres back on June 10, I went to see it with both my dad and elder brother Mike (almost twenty-seven). It was a great way to enjoy my last week of school as well as a bonding experience of sorts for my father and me. Believe it or not, that was the first time I had ever seen a movie in a movie theatre. Talk about sheltered. laugh.gif

Anyway...I mostly went to the Rush film for myself. Not to follow along with a boyfriend or a husband, since I have neither of those and don't plan on having either. I would do the same at a Rush concert. I'm single and loving every moment of it. I'm who you may call Miss Independent. I have nothing against having men as close friends. In fact, my best and oldest friend is a guy. But I wouldn't want one as a mate. Even if he was a Rushian. So sorry. wink.gif

I have nothing against my father, either. I love him as much as a daughter possibly can. He's the person closest to me in this world. And he is the reason I am here now; the reason I came to love Rush as I do. The reason I am as obsessed as I am. biggrin.gif

So would I go to a Rush concert my dad? Hell yeah! The first concert I've ever been to in my short life -- and it's Rush! They're the one band I must see before I (and they) die. heart.gif

This year's concert was my first one because it was the first time I was aware they were playing in my city. I thought it would be cool to see my fave songs of theirs performed live- I checked the setlist before to make sure Freewill would be played.

I did see many women there. And many kids and teens too.

It's cliche story tiiiiiiime!

My dad and brother got me into Rush waaaaay back... a few years ago. Which isn't "way back" at all, it's more like five years ago, but gradually I just got more and more into them. Oh, and the fact that my dad abandoned me (not really) to go to S&A with his friend and I reacted in a very childish "I WANT TO GO TO A RUSH CONCERT TOO" manner.

You can also thank REO Speedwagon for really getting me into classic rock, and though I already liked Rush then, I started liking them more.

As a reward for getting my grades up second semester my Junior year (very difficult... two AP classes and a boatload of issues) my dad gave me a Rush ticket. We went together to the Time Machine Tour and it was epic!...

Which sparked further obsession.

However, to get back on topic, there weren't that many women at the show here. It was a pretty testosterone-packed arena. Even my youth director (at church) went with her brother, though of course she went first of all because she likes Rush. It's still a male-dominated fandom... kind of like half the other things I love.

It is wonderful to see so many young women getting into Rush. CM, you're lucky to have a Dad who will take you to concerts.

We've taken our daughter to as many "classic rock" shows as we can. She has seen the 2 surviving Beatles, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, Devo and Yes, among others. We would have taken her to see the TM Tour but she had a Cosplay thing. The next time, though....

So, take heart young men - there are young women out there who love Rush, too. Just keep looking.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Nov 19 2010, 11:03 PM)
It is wonderful to see so many young women getting into Rush. CM, you're lucky to have a Dad who will take you to concerts.

We've taken our daughter to as many "classic rock" shows as we can. She has seen the 2 surviving Beatles, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, Devo and Yes, among others. We would have taken her to see the TM Tour but she had a Cosplay thing. The next time, though....

So, take heart young men - there are young women out there who love Rush, too. Just keep looking.

I am lucky, aren't I? Ah, well, in college I'm on my own. (2012 Clockwork Angels tour to bring them back to Nebraska..? Let's hope so.)

Oh, man. If TM had been the same weekend as OSFEST (sci-fi convention) or Anime Nebraskon (which I did do a cosplay at)... Yeah, I would've gone to see Rush. As much as I love those two events, they're not Rush. tongue.gif

And you young men, should any of you live in Nebraska.. ;D (I kid, I kid, quit staring at your monitor with that weird look on your face.)

Again, no man introduced me to Rush. I got into them on my own, and subsequently got my husband hooked (he liked them a bit before, but didn't know anything past Moving Pictures ) and my son is a second generation Rush fan (third if you count my mother and father, whom I ALSO turned on to Rush, not the other way around).

In fact, most people who know me, when you say "Rush," they say "Jaime." wink.gif My husband referred to me as the "Rushchick" he kept hearing about from his friends when we first met.

Hence, my handle. wink.gif

OMGZ, a man got me into RUSH!!! I fail at life!!! wink.gif

When I went and saw Muse I ran into a Rush fan (basically I saw his shirt). We talked for a while and then he stopped me (I was, like, going a mile a minute. What? Someone had given me coffee and I was excited) and he stared at me and then said, "Wait a minute, but you're a girl." I nearly lifted my shirt and showed him my boobs just to be like, "Yep, I am!" But I decided to keep whatever dignity I had left, which was minimal, and instead just kind of stared blankly and agreed.

Oh yeah, and we fist bumped. I like to fist bump people. I feel like this seals us for life, sort of like a blood bond, but not. Don't expect it unless I like you though.

Edited by garbo

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 20 2010, 10:27 AM)
OMGZ, a man got me into RUSH!!!  I fail at life!!!  wink.gif 

When I went and saw Muse I ran into a Rush fan (basically I saw his shirt).  We talked for a while and then he stopped me (I was, like, going a mile a minute.  What?  Someone had given me coffee and I was excited) and he stared at me and then said, "Wait a minute, but you're a girl."  I nearly lifted my shirt and showed him my boobs just to be like, "Yep, I am!"  But I decided to keep whatever dignity I had left, which was minimal, and instead just kind of stared blankly and agreed. 

Oh yeah, and we fist bumped.  I like to fist bump people.  I feel like this seals us for life, sort of like a blood bond, but not.  Don't expect it unless I like you though.

I get the same thing when I wear one of my rush concert shirts to the gym. Sometimes guys ask me, "Is that your husband's shirt?" I say, "No, he has his own. This is mine." Usually they just say, "oh" and have a puzzled look.

I'm 22 (soon to be 23 next month) so I didn't get the chance to discover Rush in the 70's or 80's like alot of other people have. I'm a 'youngin' as it were laugh.gif I've always been into Classic Rock. I've pretty much grew up on it and though I do like some of today's music (very little of it I might add..) I'd choose Classic Rock anything any day! biggrin.gif Hell, my all time favorite band is Pink Floyd and thats unusual for someone my age.

Ok well...enough about me...lets get back to Rush! I got into them all by my lonesome I would say only about...a month or so ago? That sounds right... and I hate to admit this but...I think the thing that got me really started on them was playing The Spirit of Radio on Guitar Hero 5. I mean, I've heard the very limited songs on the radio and I've always liked Tom Sawyer so I just decided to do more investigating. After watching videos on Youtube and just engorging myself with information, I was sold. I think the icing on the cake was when I saw the video of La Villa Strangiato from the Pinkpop Festival. What I saw and heard just blew me away.

So now, I'm on this huge Rush kick that my fiance has to deal with (Sadly, he makes fun of me for it sad.gif angry.gif ). Its like anything and everything out my mouth is 'Rush this and Rush that'. I even bought the latest Guitar Hero game just so I could play 2112 (and well...because I like Guitar Hero lol). I can just foresee that it will be a very Rush kind of Christmas for me biggrin.gif My one cousin has already asked me what sort of Rush things I want as far as cds and such. I hope one day I'll get to go see them in concert but until then, I'll take what I've got.

I've always liked Rush on my own, and can't even remember when it started (I was born in '73 so they've pretty much been there my whole life). I would have started going to shows as early as Roll the Bones, but my friend in HS who was really into Rush and his buddies went without me, and then I lost track of Rush in the 90's (awful, because they've played not far from here many, many times, just not in Syracuse itself, where they would have caught my interest).

I clued back in this summer when they announced they were playing the State Fair right here in town. I was determined not to miss out like I did when I was younger. I took my boyfriend, who wasn't so crazy about them, but is slowly coming around. I think by next time he'll be more into them, but there's no doubt who the alpha Rush fan is. At least he's not mean to me about them; he even said Geddy "was a cute kid" in the Mystic Rhythms video (even though he was in his early 30's). Awww wub.gif

So, IMO, it's a total coincidence that I got involved when a lot of other women did, because it was just a matter of timing. Everyone probably assumes it was because I saw BTLS or something, but I didn't even know about the movie until I introduced myself on here and asked what my next step as a Rush fan should be.

Sometimes I think my attraction to Rush has a lot to do with my not being a very girly girl, but then again, I'm pretty crazy about our guys and get the little hearts swirling around my head when I think of or talk about them. Bottom line is, there's a lot for anyone, guy or gal, to dig about them, but too many women go for the more conventionally packaged celebrity, sadly. But if that's changing, GREAT!!!

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 20 2010, 10:27 AM)
OMGZ, a man got me into RUSH!!! I fail at life!!! wink.gif

No, I just sometimes get tired of the stereotype. Almost like, women aren't smart enough to find them on their own. I was a young musician at the time, and I fell in love with their unique sound, their amazing songwriting, and Geddy's voice. wub.gif wub.gif