Death- anyone??

Cygnalschick

A friend gave me a copy of "The Sound of Perseverance" awhile back, but lately I have REALLY been listening to it a lot. Wow, this band blows me away. Technical metal at its best. My favorite song is "Spirit Crusher" smile.gif 1022.gif Any other fans??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hear Human ? If not, get it Now. Human is when they really went technical/speed metal . Brilliant muscianship . Love them

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 14 2010, 01:19 PM)
Did you hear Human ? If not, get it Now. Human is when they really went technical/speed metal . Brilliant muscianship . Love them

Yes, I actually think I own it. But it's back home in Texas and I'm in South America tongue.gif BUT, will definitely listen to it when I get back!

Not a big fan of Death Metal as a whole, but you really can't dismiss a band who did everything fresh from the start and top-notch all the way...AND, ALSO employing many of the biggest names in technical, extreme Metal at one point or another.

I'm basically a fan of three specific albums, but wouldn't scoff at any of the others...Human, Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic are fer me, boss...

Ya got what, ya got who, ya got Evil Chuck Schuldiner, Paul Masvidal (Cynic), Steve DiGiorgio (sadus, testament) and Sean Reinert (cynic, aghora) all on that one single release, 'Human'.

Guess what goes on the ol' stereo next, kids? With this lineup, the more apt title woulda been 'Inhuman'...Steve DiGiorgio will gooble yer kids and leave a pile o' nuthin' as a parting gift...

Two words: Zombie Ritual!

That has to be one of my absolute favourite metal songs as a whole. "Scream Bloody Gore" and "Leprosy" are my two fave albums in the Death discography. These albums are less technical and just full-on brutal. SOP is pretty awesome as well..I remember listening to "Scavenger of Human Sorrow" over and over again and never growing tired of it.

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 14 2010, 03:31 PM)
Love 'em, Crystal Mountain is my jam.

Same!

My favorite song off Symbolic for sure.

Yeah, they're great.

Sean Reinert is an unbelievable drummer, as is Gene Hoglan.

Favorite album is probably either Human or Symbolic.

I also dig Individual Thought Patterns although I don't like the production at all.

QUOTE (MalNarpet @ Sep 15 2010, 11:30 PM)
Chuck's band was very good, and influential. However, these dudes predate them:
http://deathpunk74.blogspot.com/

And, you brought this up, why? lol. "A trio of Afro-American proto-punkers from Detroit recorded a mind-blowing album in 1975 that sat on a studio shelf for 34 years because Clive Davis didn't have the balls to release a record by a band called Death." Are you suggesting that Schuldiner stole the idea for a super original Death Metal band from these guys? Or, R U bean fun-ē? Did ya hear that '75 album? Any good, bro? I go for super obscure stuff like that, fer serious.

I followed Death from Scream Bloody Gore through Human, which are all great, but haven't picked up a Death album since. I've heard a handful of their post-Human songs and they're pretty killer. I kinda got out of the death metal thing after that, but have picked up a few titles here and there. Maybe I need to (re)discover the later Death offerings. RIP Chuck.

I bought "Scream Bloody Gore" when it came out and also bought the next 4 albums at the time of their release as well. I had a live video back then that also had Forbidden, Faith Or Fear, and some other band I dont remember. It was in 1988 and it was off of their "Leprosy" tour. It was awesome.

When SBG came out in 1987, they were definitely death metal at the time, although now it would be classified as thrash metal. They went into a more technical thrash direction as time went by.

Scream Bloody Gore was HEAVY. kinda crappy production and horrible insipid lyrics but man that was some heavy and fast s**t!!

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Sep 16 2010, 06:35 PM)
When SBG came out in 1987, they were definitely death metal at the time, although now it would be classified as thrash metal. They went into a more technical thrash direction as time went by.

Scream Bloody Gore was HEAVY. kinda crappy production and horrible insipid lyrics but man that was some heavy and fast s**t!!

The lyrics were absolutely horrible and almost child-like , but the music was absolutely awesome. There's a very dooming sound with the guitars. This was the album that got me into extreme metal subgenres from death metal onwards, although there are some records and bands I'm not too fond with in those categories. With extreme metal, it REALLY is dependent on each group's personal unique "niche" that makes me either like them or hate them.

Edited by Hemispheres89

Does anyone here think that there is anything to the rumours/accusations that basically claim that the tremendous amount of wattage, the massive amount of electricity that bands like 'Death' used was perhaps partially responsible for Chuck's cancer? I've actually heard this sentiment argued in more than one forun over the years...The folks who are more knowledgable than myself on the subject and tend to believe this connection, they usually cite several other extreme metal players who've gotten sick...Whaddaya guys think?

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 16 2010, 09:28 PM)
Does anyone here think that there is anything to the rumours/accusations that basically claim that the tremendous amount of wattage, the massive amount of electricity that bands like 'Death' used was perhaps partially responsible for Chuck's cancer? I've actually heard this sentiment argued in more than one forun over the years...The folks who are more knowledgable than myself on the subject and tend to believe this connection, they usually cite several other extreme metal players who've gotten sick...Whaddaya guys think?

Well, they may have used a lot of electricty, but so do a plethora of other bands, such as KISS. When I went to go see Kiss on their Alive: 35 tour last year, there was a power outage that caused the sound to cut out by 90%, reduced to just a low muffle. Everbody booed, and it was a very disappointing moment. When they got everything back together again, they kicked ass though!

The power outage was caued by the extremely high wattage of electricty, which Kiss obviously used more than Death. As far as I know, Death was simply like any other metal band in their live performances, so to say that electricty was a factor in Schuldiner's cancer seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Didn't he struggled with substance and alcohol abuse for most of his life?

Sometimes I wonder if writing, playing and exposing yourself to, quite honestly, very negative music can have an impact on the body. The human body is 64% water and I saw some crazy stuff about water's chemical reaction to emotions on the movie 'What The Bleep Do We Know?'. And when you think about how the mind and body are one, it makes you consider. Just a thought.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Sep 17 2010, 03:52 PM)
Sometimes I wonder if writing, playing and exposing yourself to, quite honestly, very negative music can have an impact on the body. The human body is 64% water and I saw some crazy stuff about water's chemical reaction to emotions on the movie 'What The Bleep Do We Know?'. And when you think about how the mind and body are one, it makes you consider. Just a thought.

You saw that segment as well, huh? It was disheartening, frightening to see what effect negative emotions have on the body...Makes ya think twice before busting into a Rage...When I saw that piece it certainly wasn't all new news to me because I had already read several books which touch upon the various aspects of the mind-body connection...

I'm trying to think backk right now, and I just can't remember what kinda device they used in that documentary to measure and show the effect that the emotions were having on the body's energy field. Humans generate electricity, and having a pretty fair understanding of what the stuff inherently is, it makes sense that we would be adversely affected if subjecte to massive quantities of it.

I think that Chuck, by playing in those small clubs, day after day, year after year, being in close quarters, in close proximity with the source of major amounts of electricity, night after night, could potentially have had an adverse effect on the guy's health if he was already predisposed to such illness...Much of what we're now learning about genetic expression, is that it's usually something in the environment which triggers the expression of a gene, which in turns manifests itself in either a positive change, or the alternative.

It sucks that he's gone...What do you guys think of the several different directions that the genre has gone since his passing?...Maybe I should just metion the few things that I DO care for, because there's literally tons of it that I don't...The band, Gorjira, which represents some kinda hybrid beween Death Metal, whatever Korn is, and this French band's very original spin they've put on the genre...I also really like the direction of the intellectual-minded, Jazz-leaning, extreme and technical bands such as, Obscura and Anata and Arsis...

Then, there's the, I guess - more accessible brand of 'traditional' death metal, exemplified by bands like Amon Amarth...Actually, they're not a good example of the traditional. Isn't there a name for the sub-genre that 'AA' falls under?...Melodic Viking Death? That's basically pretty much all like out of this genre...When I listen to Metal, it's all about the Thrash and the Doom.

To my ears, pretty much everything else from the genre sounds like one running reel of randomly assembled noise...not very creative at all, I think...Anyone else dig the bands I've mentioned here? Can't really get into much of the Pig Destroyers or Cattle Decapitations of the world. I don't know why they want to maim all the farm animals...Well, if they're hungry, I guess it's acceptable.