Geddy's voice...

MainMonkey

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 15 2010, 05:25 PM)
I think Geddy would have much more success and sound a lot better if he just wouldn't extend the notes. Nail the high note and don't hold it as long. He does sound like he strains. But, it sounds good when he first hits the note.

Btw, Geddy sounds much better on this '94 version (singing at 2:48):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuo-la4zM24&feature=related

he does sound pretty good in that one but i doubt he'll be able to do it every night on the next tour. i would mind them playing the first 2 1/2 minutes and than go right into something else. it just sounds great live and alex looks like he's lovin' it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the type of thing that sounds fine when your at the show and you have 10000 watts of Hemispheres blasting in your face, and not so when you play back the tape... but imho, his vox have changed quite a bit since even Different Stages so it might not be that great but who knows. Edited by Solitudeix

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Oct 15 2010, 05:39 PM)
Probably the type of thing that sounds fine when your at the show and you have 10000 watts of Hemispheres blasting in your face, and not so when you play back the tape... but imho, his vox have changed quite a bit since even Different Stages so it might not be that great but who knows.

it would be killer just to use some of it in the encore on the next tour.

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Oct 7 2010, 06:15 PM)
I find it interesting the amount of posters saying basically "cut the guy some slack" I dont think that most of the people here are demeaning or reprimanding the guy for still giving it a good effort. I find it absurd to think that some people cannot hear that his range has changed and that his abilities are not the same as they once were...

Well you're on a rush forum, many people dont like admitting shortcomings of the band. They'll fight against it tooth and nail, and even say he sounds just as good as he did 25 years ago. His voice hasnt really been good in a long time, and Geddy even knows this. Listen to how low he's singing on the new songs. Even the higher notes he hits in them are actually pretty low, but since he's singing even lower around them, they sound relatively high, and it was the right move.

His poor vocal quality isnt really apparent until he tries to sing outside of his range on older songs. And even then, when you're at a show it doesnt really bother you. He's doing the best he can, but I think they need to lower the key of those old songs even more. You listen to him try to sing a song like limelight in the original key, and its just painful to hear.

At his age, with his diminished abilities, just lower everything down to a somewhat comfortable range. Do that for all the old songs and everything will sound so much better. Thankfully he's taking this approach with the new songs.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 15 2010, 05:25 PM)
I think Geddy would have much more success and sound a lot better if he just wouldn't extend the notes. Nail the high note and don't hold it as long. He does sound like he strains. But, it sounds good when he first hits the note.

Btw, Geddy sounds much better on this '94 version (singing at 2:48):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuo-la4zM24&feature=related

That was 16 years ago, and even there he is seriously struggling on those highs. If they were to do this now, it wouldnt work without dropping the key lower than it was there.

In that vid, he's able to nail a couple of the notes, but not anything sustained without really struggling. His voice is shaking in an out of key there. Just when he hits a work like "man", he doesnt have to hold it so its easier to nail, which he does great there, but you can hear him really straining before that.

In listening to some of the boots from this tour, his voice does not seem to be holding up as well in the latter shows.

That is not to say it is bad, or for all songs, or for all shows.

But the shows where the fans are basically low background noise,

it is noticeable.

I hate to admit it too,

but hey, we all get older and I applaud the man for continuing to deliver

the best he can every night for us.

We all know he's getting slightly older, it's just a fact of life; it comes to us all, but then not all of us are rock musicians. I'm not the first one to admit to defending his voice & i certainly won't be the last, & I'd probably end up like the Titanic & go down fighting for him from now until doomsday, but the songs he sings, especially from the mid-70s era, are the ones he won't be able to maintain that type of vocal range indefinately. While Ged's still got his voice, he'll still be able to give it his all & do his best.

The best I've ever heard Geddy sing was at the San Antonio show of Vapor Trails. Hands down. The second best was this last show in San Antonio on Sept. 23.

His voice was noticeably different beginning with GUP. It's never been the same since. But that's ok. The music is amazing even if the voice can't do what it once did.

I must say that he seemed much better this year than than in 2008 on the SnA tour. It seems like he changed the way he does a few things. I think I heard him drop an octave on parts of some songs, which really didn't sound all that bad. confused13.gif

QUOTE (AVman9 @ Oct 19 2010, 12:59 AM)
I must say that he seemed much better this year than than in 2008 on the SnA tour. It seems like he changed the way he does a few things. I think I heard him drop an octave on parts of some songs, which really didn't sound all that bad. confused13.gif

yeah I think in 2008 he was just burned out... that was a hell of a long tour.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 19 2010, 03:40 AM)
QUOTE (AVman9 @ Oct 19 2010, 12:59 AM)

yeah I think in 2008 he was just burned out... that was a hell of a long tour.

'07-'08 was indeed quite a long stretch for the guys - they haven't toured like that in years (and they were much younger when they used to do that). Granted, they did have a hunk of time off in the middle, but still.

I'm gonna sound really dumb saying this, but even famous opera singers (with years of professional, super expensive training) start sounding like crap into their fifties and sixties (hence the later famed PBS specials ala Beverly Sills, God rest her soul). I can't blame him. I think he still sounds great.

Geddy was great in Tampa and struggled in West Palm. There are some chinks in the armor vocally, but he still sounds great live. Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Oct 19 2010, 10:52 AM)
Geddy was great in Tampa and struggled in West Palm. There are some chinks in the armor vocally, but he still sounds great live.

Have to agree, I was at the WPB show and he sounded off. It didn't bother me as this was the last show of the North American leg. His voice was bound to be tired. And he is older. But it all still sounded good.

QUOTE (garbo @ Oct 19 2010, 10:35 AM)
I'm gonna sound really dumb saying this, but even famous opera singers (with years of professional, super expensive training) start sounding like crap into their fifties and sixties (hence the later famed PBS specials ala Beverly Sills, God rest her soul). I can't blame him. I think he still sounds great.

Yea, it affects all of us as we grow older. Maybe in the future, they will have a surgical procedure that will take 20 years off your vocal cords.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 26 2010, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (garbo @ Oct 19 2010, 10:35 AM)
I'm gonna sound really dumb saying this, but even famous opera singers (with years of professional, super expensive training) start sounding like crap into their fifties and sixties (hence the later famed PBS specials ala Beverly Sills, God rest her soul).  I can't blame him.  I think he still sounds great.

Yea, it affects all of us as we grow older. Maybe in the future, they will have a surgical procedure that will take 20 years off your vocal cords.

it'll be too late by that time. we need it now. laugh.gif

Geddy was great in Tampa and struggled in West Palm. There are some chinks in the armor vocally, but he still sounds great live.

chinks in the armor? haha

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 26 2010, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Oct 26 2010, 07:59 PM)

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

excuse me but... laugh.gif

is this archie bunker hour? laugh.gif

I don't think those are the chinks he was referring to unsure.gif

From UrbanDictionary.com:

1) An narrow opening and vunerable area in one's armor that the opponent will usually aim for. This term relies on "chink" in the sense of "a crack or gap," a meaning dating from about 1400 and used figuratively since the mid-1600s.

2) A figurative term for a one's weakness, largest flaw or their prevention of success.

1) Because of the chink in the armor of Sir Lancelot, his opponent was able to break past his defense and inflict a dangerous flesh wound.

2) We would have aced this presentation if Leo wasn't in our group. He didn't study at all, he's the chink in the armor.

There's nothing Archie Bunkerish about it; it's not a phrase used in everyday speech so I can see how it could be confused.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 26 2010, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 26 2010, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Oct 26 2010, 07:59 PM)

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

excuse me but... laugh.gif

is this archie bunker hour? laugh.gif

I don't think those are the chinks he was referring to unsure.gif

i know the saying but thought the dude above me cracked up which than caused a chain reaction. unsure.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight