Geddy's voice...

MainMonkey

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Oct 5 2010, 12:25 AM)
Can anyone name one singer still touring that has sung more songs than Geddy Lee? Cut the guy some slack. We as Rush fans are blessed to have these guys touring after 36+ years. Geddys voice sounds fine to me.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Oct 5 2010, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 4 2010, 08:28 PM)
Dio. (52 years in the music buisness, unfortunately cut short)
Glenn Hughes. (Sometime in the 70's, DP singer)
Ian Gillian
David Coverdale.
Tony Martin.

None of them have performed more shows than Geddy.

A little research is in order. At least check the Wikipedia pages for those artists. You might be surprised. Several of them have been touring since before Rush was formed.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 04:31 PM)
Ian Gillian
David Coverdale.
Tony Martin.

A little research is in order. At least check the Wikipedia pages for those artists. You might be surprised. Several of them have been touring since before Rush was formed.

Still actively touring and recording ever since? Playing WAY longer than the regular tour length?

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Oct 6 2010, 09:05 AM)
Ian Gillian
David Coverdale.
Tony Martin.

Still actively touring and recording ever since? Playing WAY longer than the regular tour length?

/sigh

Okay, I'll go to Wikipedia and look up the names, then.

Dio. Dead. In the industry for 52 years, it's safe to say he performed more shows than Geddy. But the question was really for living people, so...

Glenn Hughes. Career began in '68, still tours. Has a way larger discography than Rush.

Ian Gillian. Career began in '59, still tours. Also has a way larger catalog than Rush.

David Coverdale. Career began in '73. Between his work with Deep Purple, Whitesnake and the solo stuff, has likely played more shows than Geddy, though that is not a given.

Tony Martin. Not sure why he was included on that list other than he's 53 years old and touring.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 6 2010, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Oct 6 2010, 09:05 AM)
Ian Gillian
David Coverdale.
Tony Martin.

/sigh

Okay, I'll go to Wikipedia and look up the names, then.

Dio. Dead. In the industry for 52 years, it's safe to say he performed more shows than Geddy. But the question was really for living people, so...

Glenn Hughes. Career began in '68, still tours. Has a way larger discography than Rush.

Ian Gillian. Career began in '59, still tours. Also has a way larger catalog than Rush.

David Coverdale. Career began in '73. Between his work with Deep Purple, Whitesnake and the solo stuff, has likely played more shows than Geddy, though that is not a given.

Tony Martin. Not sure why he was included on that list other than he's 53 years old and touring.

You can probably add Ozzy and Rob Halford to that list as well. And Plant.

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Oct 5 2010, 04:03 PM)
Ian Gillian
David Coverdale.
Tony Martin.

That isn't even close to true.

RJD, had been touring since he was 20. He died when he was 67.

In 2007, he toured with Sabbath for 100 shows.

I also know for a fact, that he pretty much toured non-stop with his own Dio band from 83-91 and then again from 93-2008

What a stupid argument! Of what relevance is any of this crap about other older singers anyway? Regardless of who is older or who is better or who has performed the most shows, Geddy can still bring it. That other singers have been around for longer or not as long, are better or not as good, are taller or shorter or have more hair (WHICH THEY DON'T laugh.gif ) is irrelevant. Geddy can still bring it, and that is the bottom line!

I think this issue is the single greatest danger to Rush continuing on as a live band for very long.

His vocal problems seem to come and go.

For example, I saw them in 2007 and didn't notice the vocals being particularly off, but then when I've seen parts of the S&A era DVD I often cringe. Often he didn't fully enunciate words and it sounds like he's passing certain sounds by completely. This is kind of ok if you already know the songs, but it made me cringe that a potential new fan would hear this and have no idea what Geddy was singing.

There have been clips I've seen on this tour where Geddy's voice was spot on, and others that were truly cringeworthy. He seems sometimes to be REALLY struggling to sing certain songs.

Then again, I've seen clips of Rush from the mid-70's that made me wince as well with Geddy's voice live.

It's a tough issue and a tough thing to admit that his voice could be going. It just happens at that age...

I'd never try to say that Geddy is a great singer in the technical sense. I just love to listen to him sing, that's all. I recognise that he struggles at times and know that of course age-related decline is inevitable. All the more reason in my opinion to stop wittering about whether he enunciates every word or how he stacks up against other singers his age or how he stacks up against his younger self or how long it will be before he can't sing anymore, and just enjoy the energy and heart and spirit of this vital, determined, inspiring performer.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Oct 6 2010, 02:28 PM)
What a stupid argument! Of what relevance is any of this crap about other older singers anyway? Regardless of who is older or who is better or who has performed the most shows, Geddy can still bring it. That other singers have been around for longer or not as long, are better or not as good, are taller or shorter or have more hair (WHICH THEY DON'T laugh.gif ) is irrelevant. Geddy can still bring it, and that is the bottom line!

I know.

I'm just saying. So can they.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Oct 6 2010, 02:57 PM)
I'd never try to say that Geddy is a great singer in the technical sense.  I just love to listen to him sing, that's all.  I recognise that he struggles at times and know that of course age-related decline is inevitable.  All the more reason in my opinion to stop wittering about whether he enunciates every word or how he stacks up against other singers his age or how he stacks up against his younger self or how long it will be before he can't sing anymore, and just enjoy the energy and heart and spirit of this vital, determined, inspiring performer.

this is spot on.

Give the man some slack! He performs longer shows than most opera singers! I will say this. When having back to back shows he will osund better on the first show! This was evident from Tampa to West Palm Beach last weekend!

Hes old! I think He's doing great!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I find it interesting the amount of posters saying basically "cut the guy some slack" I dont think that most of the people here are demeaning or reprimanding the guy for still giving it a good effort. I find it absurd to think that some people cannot hear that his range has changed and that his abilities are not the same as they once were... and in saying this I think it is obvious that this is the expected outcome of age and wear and tear and nothing to be ashamed of. He is not a lesser man because of it... If it doesnt bother you or you happen to like it like that good for you. But to deny it or take it personally when someone points it out, I dont get it.

Me personally, although their songs are hard to sing,and although he gives it a great effort, and although I think he still sounds good for his age, I think this tour is the first tour where I thought that about halfway during the show his throat was going to seize up on him. I was not happy with myself for allowing myself to feel this way... I have, in the past, been an ardent and outspoken defender of his vocals.. but this time around I was really wondering how he was going to get through the songs after a certain point. It made my own throat feel strange... I have had a bout of (almost) vocal paralysis after some hard singing / screaming.... It just made me think back to that and feel it... somehow he kept going and made it through which amazed me, but I have to wonder how his larynx and the surrounding muscles feel after each show.

Edited by Solitudeix

I thought Geddy's voice sounded awesome on this last tour. He has definitely not lost it. But - even when they are in their 90's, if they come out in wheelchairs and talking the vocals, I would still love them!

This was Geddy 16 years ago, trying to sing the Hemispheres Prelude. Granted, that was hard for him to sing even in 1978... but at his age, there are certain songs he just shouldn't even try to sing.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Oct 15 2010, 07:39 AM)
Yeah every time somebody says they should play Hemispheres again I try and show them that clip. If that was 16 years ago, imagine how it would sound today? even downtuned!

sounds good to me man. cool.gif maybe when he's singing he shouldn't strain but sing the high pitched parts at a lower volume and let the crowd take over. i'll bet they would love to play the first 3 or 4 minutes but obviously can't because of geddy. how bout a combo of geddy and alex singing together or alex helping geddy out with the parts he can't quite nail.

I think Geddy would have much more success and sound a lot better if he just wouldn't extend the notes. Nail the high note and don't hold it as long. He does sound like he strains. But, it sounds good when he first hits the note.

Btw, Geddy sounds much better on this '94 version (singing at 2:48):

Edited by Cowtothesky