Your first Rush experience

Blacky

So long ago in 1976 in a bedroom far far away a friend of mine borrowed his brother's 2112 album and said, Dude check this out" I checked it, I liked it, I played it over and over again and sat in amazement that a band could sound so strange yet so good. Been a fan ever since! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 20 2005, 01:11 PM)
jbrod.... That whole heart-wrenching story and all you can point out is my crappy, misdirected, pre-pubecent taste in music????? sad.gif

Where's the love, man. confused13.gif

just tellin it like it is tongue.gif

hey i'm surprised nobody got on me for Def Leppard

and besides, the story wasn't that gut-wrenching anyway 2.gif pokey.gif

QUOTE (jbrod0919 @ Apr 20 2005, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 20 2005, 01:11 PM)
jbrod.... That whole heart-wrenching story and all you can point out is my crappy, misdirected, pre-pubecent taste in music?????  sad.gif 

Where's the love, man. confused13.gif

just tellin it like it is tongue.gif

hey i'm surprised nobody got on me for Def Leppard

and besides, the story wasn't that gut-wrenching anyway 2.gif pokey.gif

Why I oudda.... moon.gif

I guess this is a good a topic as any to throw down a first post.

I first experienced Rush in 1997 when I was 16 (there's a little math problem for you). I was riding to a Tae Kwon Do tourney and had the into to Tom Sawyer stuck in my head, probably from a blurb on the radio which was strange since I never listened to the radio. It was driving me nuts so when I made it to the tourney, I met and bugged a friend who had made me a Queen tape not that long ago. I badly sang what was in my head, not even getting half the words right, yet my friend was like, "That's Tom Sawyer by Rush, if you like, I can make you a mix tape."

I didn't have a cd player back then, I was a super mix tape maker and lover. I feel bad for kids who can't enjoy a whole tape and skip all over the place. My friend first gave me a tape with moving pictures, plus parts one and two of fear on side A, and some steve vai on side B.

At first, I did what I do with all new songs I like, what I did and was allowed to do since birth, listended to the one song over and over again. Before wearing out the tape from the rewinding, I made my way into Red Barchetta and it didn't catch on at first. I had to become intigued and had to grow in order to like their stuff cuz it was different. I had been constantly istening to rock music since birth (I am told one of the few ways to get me to cry was to take away my Joan Jett record, my fav song was I Love Rock n Roll), I had worked through ACDC, Queen, The Doors, and many more from my dad's radio shows. I liked Rush because there was so much to like, cuz after a while it seems that every ACDC song starts and ends on the same note.

I was an inspired geek/jock youth who ran 2.5 miles to school every day. I would wake up, listend to a tape of 3 doors songs, then listen to The Enemy Within and head out to do my run. For over a hundered days that, and eventually other Rush songs would be stuck in my head on the morning run. I found out my good friend really liked them, and learned Rush is an experience best shared.

In college, the boys were still on their hiatus and I hoped I would get the chance to see them live, the stories about their shows were legendary, nay, mythical. I bought and listened to every rush song, and had to slowly grow accustomed to the artistic uniqueness of each song. Bravado became my "I'm going to go fail this exam" song. When the Vapor Trails tour started, I couldn't be happier, I was able to see them opening night in Hartford, CT, then a week later at Saratoga, NY with two good friends who also like them. That fall, when they extended the tour, I got to see them at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY and had amazing seats. Geddy broke a string during the bridge of Secret Touch and it sounded awful but he kept playing.

Then I took the trip to see them in toronto at the huge festival up there. I was annoyed that they didn't turn the speakers up loud enough. I like going deaf from the music. From where I was standing, a light breeze would carry notes away and make the sound barely audible. This annoyed me since it was loud for ACDC and the Stones.

And I lucked out to get member tickets to see them in Saratoga NY front row, alex side for the R30 tour. It was an awesome show, I couldn't believe all the looks we were getting. I could touch the stage if I wanted to. Being that close, you could really get a look at their personalities, but looking at their eyes and subtle expressions. It the reason that Rush is and will continue to be my favorite band: they are just a group of great guys, individuals, who do what they love and don't worry about the nonsense that comes with being rock stars; they have more collective integrity than any other band I have seen. What's amazing is that they set an example that is greater than their superb music, sadly it is an example few, if any, follow.

I guess that's long enough for a first post. biggrin.gif Yeah I rant, get used to it.

~Titan

QUOTE (tkotitan @ Apr 20 2005, 04:23 PM)

I first experienced Rush in 1997 when I was 16 (there's a little math problem for you). I was riding to a Tae Kwon Do tourney and had the into to Tom Sawyer stuck in my head, probably from a blurb on the radio which was strange since I never listened to the radio. It was driving me nuts so when I made it to the tourney, I met and bugged a friend who had made me a Queen tape not that long ago. I badly sang what was in my head, not even getting half the words right, yet my friend was like, "That's Tom Sawyer by Rush, if you like, I can make you a mix tape."

I didn't have a cd player back then, I was a super mix tape maker and lover. I feel bad for kids who can't enjoy a whole tape and skip all over the place. My friend first gave me a tape with moving pictures, plus parts one and two of fear on side A, and some steve vai on side B.

At first, I did what I do with all new songs I like, what I did and was allowed to do since birth, listended to the one song over and over again. Before wearing out the tape from the rewinding, I made my way into Red Barchetta and it didn't catch on at first. I had to become intigued and had to grow in order to like their stuff cuz it was different. I had been constantly istening to rock music since birth (I am told one of the few ways to get me to cry was to take away my Joan Jett record, my fav song was I Love Rock n Roll), I had worked through ACDC, Queen, The Doors, and many more from my dad's radio shows. I liked Rush because there was so much to like, cuz after a while it seems that every ACDC song starts and ends on the same note.

I was an inspired geek/jock youth who ran 2.5 miles to school every day. I would wake up, listend to a tape of 3 doors songs, then listen to The Enemy Within and head out to do my run. For over a hundered days that, and eventually other Rush songs would be stuck in my head on the morning run. I found out my good friend really liked them, and learned Rush is an experience best shared.

In college, the boys were still on their hiatus and I hoped I would get the chance to see them live, the stories about their shows were legendary, nay, mythical. I bought and listened to every rush song, and had to slowly grow accustomed to the artistic uniqueness of each song. Bravado became my "I'm going to go fail this exam" song. When the Vapor Trails tour started, I couldn't be happier, I was able to see them opening night in Hartford, CT, then a week later at Saratoga, NY with two good friends who also like them. That fall, when they extended the tour, I got to see them at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY and had amazing seats. Geddy broke a string during the bridge of Secret Touch and it sounded awful but he kept playing.

Then I took the trip to see them in toronto at the huge festival up there. I was annoyed that they didn't turn the speakers up loud enough. I like going deaf from the music. From where I was standing, a light breeze would carry notes away and make the sound barely audible. This annoyed me since it was loud for ACDC and the Stones.

And I lucked out to get member tickets to see them in Saratoga NY front row, alex side for the R30 tour. It was an awesome show, I couldn't believe all the looks we were getting. I could touch the stage if I wanted to. Being that close, you could really get a look at their personalities, but looking at their eyes and subtle expressions. It the reason that Rush is and will continue to be my favorite band: they are just a group of great guys, individuals, who do what they love and don't worry about the nonsense that comes with being rock stars; they have more collective integrity than any other band I have seen. What's amazing is that they set an example that is greater than their superb music, sadly it is an example few, if any, follow.

I guess that's long enough for a first post. biggrin.gif Yeah I rant, get used to it.

~Titan

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (tkotitan @ Apr 20 2005, 04:23 PM)

~Titan

goodpost.gif

ranton.gif It's all yours buddy. Welcome to the board! bekloppt.gif trink39.gif

My first experience was purly accidental, stumbled upon them really...

The summer between gr. 9 and gr. 10 (I was 14 at the time) my family moved (down the street... house double in size, worth it!) and I started working part time at a dry cleaners near my house. Well, one of the first things I was told was that The Border (Pop station from across the border in Watertown, NY) didn't come in clearly whenever someone pulled infront on the store, so, my options were 98.3 (easy listening), 96.3 (country) or 105.7 (rock). Well, I chose the Rock station (it had been on the air for about 4 months at the time) because I've always leaned more towards the rock-ish songs on The Border (Mainly Blink 182). Well, one my first shift alone after being trained (naturally, it was the 6 hour saturday shift) I was doing up my cash at the end of the shift, and I heard 'Tom Sawyer' come on the radio. I didnt know who it was who was singing it, but I liked it. From that day on, I was a casual fan.... enjoying the songs on the radio, but that was it

Two years later.... Rush was preforming at the Concert for Toronto (we all know this) and as I was watching it and I was wondering 'Who's this bad who has dryers on stage?' So, I began doing a little bit of research, once I learned the bands name. Began looking at websites, downloading songs, buying CD's.

I just don't know why it took me so long to find TRF! 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Apr 15 2005, 03:18 PM)
Welcome to the forum  bekloppt.gif

My first song was Cygnus X-1 which I first heard in 1978. Went to see them not long after and invested in Hemispheres and 2112 soon after that. The rest is history.

Your to Cool RickRob cool.gif

My experience mirrors your yes.gif

Closer to the Heart...Summer of 78

Thats when i found out 2.gif played this song!

Teenage sh*t Huh?

QUOTE (Blacky @ Apr 15 2005, 03:05 PM)
Just wondering what particular event/song/thing/happening made you investigate Rush in the first place.

I'd heard a little about Rush and being a fan of Yes and other crusty prog bands, some of the articles I read seemed to mention Rush in the same breath. The first ever song I heard was New World Man but what really hooked me was seeing the video for The Big Money on the "Whistle Test" in the UK and watching Lerxst being interviewed shortly after. I soon added Power Windows to my collection and have never looked. Incidentally, I've heard mainly negative views about this album. IMOH, it's full of great songs, just a little over-produced. A typical 80's album you might say.....

trink39.gif

My first 2.gif experience was from the first guitarplayer i everplayed with. I had playing drums about a year and was and still am a big kiss fan but at the time kiss was my ultimate band. he came over my house with someones double live LP. He went to my record player (for all you youngins those are really big CDs, just kidding) aaaanyway, he put on one LP and said listen to this and tell me how many people are in this band. I listened. I wish I could have seen the look on my face when it started. after a couple of minutes I said " Jesus umm 4 bas drums guitar and singer. Nope theres 3 he said.. I said no way! thats not 3 people! he opened the LP cover which was entitled RUSH ALL THE WORLDS A STAGE. the sight if his drumset floored me. Damn! then I heard the words I will never forget.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE PROFFESOR ON THE DRUMKIT! ohmy.gif I had to sit down literally. He had to buy me a copy to get his back.. I didnt listen to my kiss LPs for atleast 6 months, as a matter of fact hardly anything else.. I saw moving pictures in the store and bought it right away... I dont think I have ever loved music before and after as much as I do when I listen to Rush. I have been a drummer for 25 years now and I blame Rush for all my sacrifices for music since that time. Thanks boys! for infecting me with an uncurable desiese! No regrets!

DrumDragon old.gif

QUOTE (DrumDragon @ Apr 22 2005, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Blacky @ Apr 15 2005, 03:05 PM)
Just wondering what particular event/song/thing/happening made you investigate Rush in the first place.

I'd heard a little about Rush and being a fan of Yes and other crusty prog bands, some of the articles I read seemed to mention Rush in the same breath. The first ever song I heard was New World Man but what really hooked me was seeing the video for The Big Money on the "Whistle Test" in the UK and watching Lerxst being interviewed shortly after. I soon added Power Windows to my collection and have never looked. Incidentally, I've heard mainly negative views about this album. IMOH, it's full of great songs, just a little over-produced. A typical 80's album you might say.....

trink39.gif

My first 2.gif experience was from the first guitarplayer i everplayed with. I had playing drums about a year and was and still am a big kiss fan but at the time kiss was my ultimate band. he came over my house with someones double live LP. He went to my record player (for all you youngins those are really big CDs, just kidding) aaaanyway, he put on one LP and said listen to this and tell me how many people are in this band. I listened. I wish I could have seen the look on my face when it started. after a couple of minutes I said " Jesus umm 4 bas drums guitar and singer. Nope theres 3 he said.. I said no way! thats not 3 people! he opened the LP cover which was entitled RUSH ALL THE WORLDS A STAGE. the sight if his drumset floored me. Damn! then I heard the words I will never forget.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE PROFFESOR ON THE DRUMKIT! ohmy.gif I had to sit down literally. He had to buy me a copy to get his back.. I didnt listen to my kiss LPs for atleast 6 months, as a matter of fact hardly anything else.. I saw moving pictures in the store and bought it right away... I dont think I have ever loved music before and after as much as I do when I listen to Rush. I have been a drummer for 25 years now and I blame Rush for all my sacrifices for music since that time. Thanks boys! for infecting me with an uncurable desiese! No regrets!

DrumDragon old.gif

They way it should be DrumDragon trink39.gif

1st memory was hearing "Spirit of Radio" on Miami radio constantly, but the first time I really investigated 2.gif was when I heard Tom Sawyer. I remember Casy Casem talking about them and showing the video on his top 40 show. I had just got my 1st drumset and the first two albums I learned were Moving Pictures and In Through the Out Door (LED ZEP). From that point I fell in love with Rush music and really fell in love with drumming. That was a setback, though. Any young drummers out there: "If you want to be an original drummer, master 20 drummer's styles." -NP ...Neil mastered 100. It took 10 years to not sound like Neil, and it made it very hard to finally find my own style. Oh well, I'm still havin' fun playing stages to this day. Could've been worse. Any other musicians out there experience this curse???

I don't remember confused13.gif Was still in diapers when I tried drumming with Peart...

I first learned about 2.gif when my dad started to play ther music alot. Afterwards, I really began to like them, especially after I heard their Counterparts album. About 4 months, I saw their 30th Anniversary tour in scranton. Ever sine then, I have been a huge 2.gif fan

My brother bought me ATWAS in 1979 - I was 13 - had been listening to Thin Lizzy & Zeppelin etc... at this stage - but RUSH were sooooooooooo different and unique. Been hooked ever since - absolute soundtrack of my life! smile.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Was deep into an acid trip, wavering on the edge of the abyss, when Rush pushed me over into divine ectasy. I shook hands with God that night.

No, not the first time I heard Rush, but the most memorable early experience.

Archived