Does anyone else dislike P/G?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#161 g under p

g under p

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4956 posts
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:08 AM

Not only is is a great album to listen to, it's also one of their best album covers to look at as well.

Sponsored Post

#162 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5248 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

View Postg under p, on 20 June 2019 - 03:08 AM, said:

Not only is is a great album to listen to, it's also one of their best album covers to look at as well.
I pleasure myself to it on a regular basis.

#163 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2210 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

Slow day at work so I have really overthought this. To the OP, I wouldn't say dislike but I'm not a fan. When it came out I liked it more than Signals, which had profoundly disappointed me (though I've now grown to like it). Though GUP wasn't a return to form at least it was kind of edgy and aggressive whereas at the time I had thought Signals a flaccid, wimpy puzzlement.

Over time though it hasn't worn well with me, unlike Signals, for three reasons I think. First is that it so sounds like a product of its time. Unlike MP and others, which seem to me timeless, GUP sounds pure mid-'80s, like a brooding, angry The FIXX. The second is that though the songs work very well together -- and the album is full of good songs (objectively, I think it is a really excellent album, just not a great Rush album) -- those soungs have such a unique sound compared to other Rush releases, even contemporaneous releases like Signals and PoW, that they don't mix well with other Rush material. Stylistically, GUP lives on its own island, an island living right in the middle of the '80s no less. The third is that though the songs do work very well together, making a very cohesive whole that flows well from beginning to end, the songs themselves don't work well to me apart from the flow of the album. CttH, TSoR, Limelight, etc can stand on their own apart from their albums; I don't hear any songs on GUP that can do that. Again, not that they aren't good songs, but that the album's sound is so distinctive that I can't really listen to any of the songs apart from the others. It's like listening to a song from a concept album separate from the album (like "No One at the Bridge" apart from The Fountain of Lamneth). In short it: 1) is distinctly '80s; 2) doesn't mix well with other Rush; 3) is made up of songs which don't stand up well separated from their album mates.

So, I think musically -- songwriting, production, musicianship, etc. --  it's a really impressive album, I just don't like it much as a Rush album. I'd almost like it more if it as done was a side project under a pseudonym, like Stephen King's Richard Bachman. It would really be a favorite of mine then, I'd guess.

p.s. a younger geekier self used to group Rush albums together, in ways different from the conventional studiox4/live/studiox4/live/etc sequence. The two albums that were always hard to deal with were the debut and GUP as they just didn't play nicely with the albums around them. Both great albums in isolation though.

Edited by Rutlefan, 21 June 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#164 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 12145 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

I'll take the one two punch of Body Electric and Kid Gloves any day.

#165 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

The Seeker

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

View PostRutlefan, on 21 June 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Slow day at work so I have really overthought this. To the OP, I wouldn't say dislike but I'm not a fan. When it came out I liked it more than Signals, which had profoundly disappointed me (though I've now grown to like it). Though GUP wasn't a return to form at least it was kind of edgy and aggressive whereas at the time I had thought Signals a flaccid, wimpy puzzlement.

Over time though it hasn't worn well with me, unlike Signals, for three reasons I think. First is that it so sounds like a product of its time. Unlike MP and others, which seem to me timeless, GUP sounds pure mid-'80s, like a brooding, angry The FIXX. The second is that though the songs work very well together -- and the album is full of good songs (objectively, I think it is a really excellent album, just not a great Rush album) -- those soungs have such a unique sound compared to other Rush releases, even contemporaneous releases like Signals and PoW, that they don't mix well with other Rush material. Stylistically, GUP lives on its own island, an island living right in the middle of the '80s no less. The third is that though the songs do work very well together, making a very cohesive whole that flows well from beginning to end, the songs themselves don't work well to me apart from the flow of the album. CttH, TSoR, Limelight, etc can stand on their own apart from their albums; I don't hear any songs on GUP that can do that. Again, not that they aren't good songs, but that the album's sound is so distinctive that I can't really listen to any of the songs apart from the others. It's like listening to a song from a concept album separate from the album (like "No One at the Bridge" apart from The Fountain of Lamneth). In short it: 1) is distinctly '80s; 2) doesn't mix well with other Rush; 3) is made up of songs which don't stand up well separated from their album mates.

So, I think musically -- songwriting, production, musicianship, etc. --  it's a really impressive album, I just don't like it much as a Rush album. I'd almost like it more if it as done was a side project under a pseudonym, like Stephen King's Richard Bachman. It would really be a favorite of mine then, I'd guess.

p.s. a younger geekier self used to group Rush albums together, in ways different from the conventional studiox4/live/studiox4/live/etc sequence. The two albums that were always hard to deal with were the debut and GUP as they just didn't play nicely with the albums around them. Both great albums in isolation though.

Hey, that was a well-reasoned and organized cogent explanation. They're gonna kick you off the internet if you keep that up.

I disagree with most of it, but it was good to read! Here's to slow work days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users