Most Underrated & Most Overrated Rush Song

rushgoober

Over-rated:

Overture/Temples - perhaps I've just heard it live too many times.. it's just not exciting anymore.

Under-rated:

Available Light - quite easily one of the best songs the band has ever written/recorded and absolutely at the top of the list of Alex solos.

Overrated: I know i'm gonna get lynched for this, but...Ghost Of A Chance. It's a lyrically very nice song, but overall it doesn't do anything for me.

Underrated: Presto

Why did they wait so long to pull this one out and play it live? It's so good! The lyrics and singing are gorgeous; along with Alex's jangly acoustic playing.

There are a few songs I'd want to mention in each of these categories, but trying my best to narrow it down to just one each...

Overrated: I worry for my safety on this forum after saying this, but... Jacob's Ladder. Everyone here seems to love it, but I just don't get that. For me, it's just, well, a bit boring. I certainly don't see anything so special about it that would warrant all the praise it gets around here.

Underrated: Malignant Narcissism. I've seen some people really bash this song or even just express indifference, and again, I don't get it. For me this song is a stroke of brilliance, their best instrumental in many years. Ranks alongside La Villa and YYZ in my book.

As for Over-rated, I vote for Tom Sawyer...just becasue it is so overplayed...

There has never been a concert that I have been to that this hasn't been played...and I suspect that this is the case until the end of time...

As for Under-rated, I'll go with Losin' it. I really love the electric violin...it moves me to tears everytime...

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Aug 30 2010, 05:27 AM)
Overrated: "The Camera Eye" I know a lot of people love this song and have been asking for years to hear it live. I just don't get the love for it. This song just seems so flat to me, it doesn't go anywhere. There's no buildup, no exciting part, nothing emotional in it which reaches out and grabs me. It's just there.

Underrated: "High Water" I find this to be one of their most beautiful songs and it's always getting dumped on. Alex does some amazing work and the chorus soars with some really great vocals from Geddy. This song is another example of how Rush can blend amazing lyrics, music, and vocals into a truly magical song. I don't understand why more people don't hear what I hear when listening to this song.

Your choice of "The Camera Eye" is strange to me, because the reasons you gave are exactly why I love it. The music and lyrics are perfect together.

I definitely agree with "High Water" being underrated. Absolutely love the song.

Otherwise I can't think of any I really think are under/overrated. Most of the time I could say all of Rush is underrated. But I know very few people in the world would agree with that, so I don't say it. biggrin.gif

I used to think Tom Sawyer was overrated. In fact, I think I probably told people for years it was played too much and the band had better songs.

While there are a few songs of theirs I enjoy more, I have come to realize that TS IS that good and it's a rare case where the popular answer is right on the money. It's a brilliant song deserving of all the play and praise it gets.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Aug 31 2010, 07:55 AM)
I used to think Tom Sawyer was overrated. In fact, I think I probably told people for years it was played too much and the band had better songs.

While there are a few songs of theirs I enjoy more, I have come to realize that TS IS that good and it's a rare case where the popular answer is right on the money. It's a brilliant song deserving of all the play and praise it gets.

+1 to this.

Its funny, I was VERY tired of TS and hadnt listened to it for probably 10 years other than concerts I went to and then in '02 when VT came out RUSH were on Rockline. Of course they played TS and you know what? I absolutely loved it and realized just how great of a song it really is.

Since that day I've welcomed TS both live and on the radio.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Aug 31 2010, 01:52 AM)
Underrated: Malignant Narcissism. I've seen some people really bash this song or even just express indifference, and again, I don't get it. For me this song is a stroke of brilliance, their best instrumental in many years. Ranks alongside La Villa and YYZ in my book.

I don't know where you see these comments of people "bashing" MalNar??

Not only does it get praise from just about everyone here, but even the people who down-right dislike S&A at least give props to this song. The only complaints I've ever seen about MalNar are that "it's too short".

So...I would argue that MalNar is far from underrated, especially on this board.

Overrated: New World Man / Closer To The Heart / Freeze

'Overrated' sounds like such a bad term, since I am a fan of all songs. But I will try my best to focus on some tunes that I feel get a little too much recoginiton for what they truly deserve.

New World Man - I still find it hard to believe that out of the entire Rush catelog, and all of the amazing material that they put out over the years, that THIS was their highest-charting single ever. Don't get me wrong, it does have a nice little bass line in it, and is a fun listen when you're in the right mood, but I think it's fairly overrated. In fact, to me, it is easily the WEAKEST track on Signals.

Closer To The Heart - CTTH is a good song. To me, it is overrated in the sense that it has become a classic rock radio staple, and is FAR from their best. So many people seem to remember Rush for this song, and I just don't think it is THAT special. I do really enjoy Al's solo in this one, but overall, if I was looking at all of their 'singles', this one would surely be near the bottom of my list for me. Quite overrated IMO.

Freeze - Okay, this may not be overrated in the sense of the general public, but it certainly seems to get TONS of praise within the TRF. To me, it is amongst the 3 weaker tracks on VT (with PK and OOTC). While I can appreciate the heaviness of Al's guitars, alot of the song comes off like that. Just some really heavy riffs...and the poor production really hurts this track IMO. Plus, calling it part of the 'Fear' trilogy was a faulty move on the band's part, as I don't think it is anywhere near as strong as the other 3 parts.

Underrated: Neurotica / Virtuality / Good News First

There are many tracks that could be considered 'underrated', but I tried to focus on songs that I LOVE, which get absolutely slaughtered around here.

Neurotica - You've got killer bass lines, an amazing guitar solo by Lerxst, and honestly, some great lyrics IMO. Yes, I know, the whole chorus part is a bit out there...strange really. But the verses and that little "bridge" section has some great lyrics. This song is probably a Top 3 song on RTB for me, sometimes my favourite. SNAP!

Virtuality - Again, a song that gets beat up for its lyrics. Oh well, you can't win 'em all I guess. I remember hearing that Neil wrote this song more to 'poke fun' at the Internet and those who solely used it as lines of communication. Sure, the lyrics may have not 'aged' well now, but you have to remember WHEN this song was written...the Net was just starting. Anyways, no matter what you think of the lyrics, one thing is for sure, the music ROCKS. Flat out...one of the best riffs Alex has laid out. It is a solid rocker, and fun to listen to. Again, this is probably a Top 3-4 track on TFE for me.

Good News First - Such a powerful song that doesn't seem to resonate with most fans, and I just don't get it. Yes, the tempo is slower, and the song sounds very desolate, but I feel it adds to the emotion of the song. Alex has one of his strongest S&A solos here, something that could've come off Counterparts. Also, the bridge section ("Some would say they never fear a thing...") is such a powerful verse, I love it. Gives me chills every time. I'm sure part of the reason this song gets forgotten is because S&A was so top-heavy with Side 1 being packed with the very best on that album, but GNF is easily far and away the gem of the second side IMO.

Overrated: The Big Money - I love PW but never cared for this song. It's mainly the delivery of the verses and keyboard sound that I don't like. Alex's solo rules though.

Underrated: The Twilight Zone - Side 2 of 2112 seems to get overlooked around here, but I've always loved it and this song. It just sounds cool to me and unlike anything else they've ever done. Also, the whispering scared me once when I was cool10.gif.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Aug 31 2010, 05:55 AM)

goodpost.gif

One song that I think is really underrated is Lakeside Park. It's not so much that I hear people bash the song very often, as much as people never seem to give it the proper credit it deserves as the top 20 Rush song it always has been and always will be. It's simply a wonderful, beautiful and wistful feel-good song about nostalgia that's catchy, infectious and very relatable. A true classic. yes.gif biggrin.gif

Underrated - Prime Mover. I just love this song. It sounds so warm and comforting, not to mention that I absolutely love the "oooo"s during the bridge. Some great chords by Alex, and great bass by Geddy!

Overrated - Losing It. I just don't understand why so many people find this song so great and emotional. I think it's boring junk.

Over-rated: "The Pass." Really! What's the big deal? Emotional punch? I'm not "feeling" it. I was suicidally depressed when the song came out, and it did nothing to alleviate my suffering, so let's not hear that explanation. For an "anti-suicide" song, it should've been WAY better. I got more emotional relief from thoughts of suicide from Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" than I did from "The Pass" by my favorite band. It's just a blah song, in my opinion. Nothing exciting, and not as "emotional" as the band and its fans all say. smilies-8579.png

Overrated: "Countdown" It sounds unfinished to me. A fabulous album ends with a song that reminds me of a demo. I don't particularly like the descriptive lyrics, they are way too literal. Musically, it's repetitive - the ska chords and faster "Subdivisions" keyboard intro tells me they really ran out of ideas while writing it.

Underrated: "Spindrift" Rush does goth! I love it! It's a killer tune that is both heavy and great to sing along to. Also, I think the lyrics work great as a metaphor for a couple's argument.

Overrated: The Camera Eye (mainly because there is NOTHING new about the second half except the lyrics)

A Passage To Bangkok - I just don't find a song about smoking weed to be very interesting

Ghost of A Chance - dull, and Rush does not need to do love songs.

Underrated: Ceiling Unlimited - it rocks, and I think part of the reason it gets ignored is that it's on Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails - there is some VERY cool guitar work on this song

Prime Mover: wicked good lyrics

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 11 2011, 12:51 PM)
Overrated: A Passage To Bangkok - I just don't find a song about smoking weed to be very interesting

trink39.gif

I think it's bad and even embarrassing, but apparently the band doesn't think so, since they dragged it out on a recent tour.

• Like 1

Why are they overrated?

- Tom Sawyer: Not their best song, but most played one. Freewill, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, and Closer to the Heart (the other ones that the classic rock station in town plays a lot) are MUCH better. First time I heard Tom Sawyer, it did nothing for me. I would not become a Rush fan for another 10 years. I still like the video when they play it in Rock Band, though.

- The Camera Eye: Too long, did not grab my attention at the concert.

- Jacob's Ladder: Don't know why everyone wants this one played live next time. I have listened to it- again, failed to grab my attention.

- 2112: Xanadu is a better epic.

Underrated?

- Dog Years: The lyrics are hilarious. I crack up every time I listen to them. There IS room for silly goofy songs like this one in Rush. I dislike sarcasm. My sense of humor is very much on the silly side. The "still no guitar" improv Alex did in that one video had me in stitches. I like dogs. I only use "bitch" to mean "female canine". This song is hysterical. I like the geeky nerdy science references. Did I say this song is funny?

- Earthshine: I like science class. I am a scientist and an artist. This is my favorite VT song. Very much in line with the science stuff Rush sang back in the day.

- Between Sun and Moon: I like country music. 'Nuff said.

- Presto: Maybe because I heard it for the first time at the Time Machine concert. But it is AWESOME live. Every time Geddy sang "if I could wave my magic wand", I would pretend to wave a magic wand. For some reason, this one got my attention much more than many other songs I first heard at the concert- including other good ones like Time Stand Still and Subdivisions.