Most Underrated & Most Overrated Rush Song

rushgoober

Ok, this is definitely not the place to simply list your favorite and least favorite Rush song.

Please tell us which song you love that you often think gets unfairly maligned (underrated), and the one that you don't like or love that so many people seem to love (overrated). Please tell us why, and try to keep it to one song for each category.

UNDERRATED: Nobody's Hero - My favorite song on CP - more so than even Animate. Not only do I love the message of the song and its anthemic nature, but I love how different and unique it is. I remember being very surprised, even shocked by the orchestration/production of the song when I first heard it, not to mention how specific and topical it was in terms of its message. I often hear this song get thrown under the bus, usually for being too preachy or corny, but I love it, always have. On my thread where I list my top 50 Rush songs, Nobody's Hero sits at a solid #30.

OVERRATED: Available Light - Presto is often thought of as one of their weaker albums (and rightly so IMHO), but people seem to lose their minds for this song, and I just don't get it. First off, the quiet parts sound somehat wimpy, like Rush lite or Rush elevator music - the production just isn't that great. And then lyrically it's got the problem of a lot of Presto, which is it's just kind of tepid lyrically, and IMHO it's nowhere near as inspiring as people give it credit for. To be honest though, the thing I hate the most is the way Geddy sings "In the Available Light." I generally love Geddy's voice, but him intentionally using falsetto is just a bad idea - it sounds forced and uncomfortable and somewhat cringeworthy. It doesn't completely ruin the song, but it's a big strike against it. Listening to it now again, it's better than I remember and certainly not an outright "bad" song, but the ridiculous praise it gets is a mystery to me.

Ok, so how about you?

• Like 1

To yours, I cant speak to AL because Ive never heard anyone say that it was very good laugh.gif

With all the praise of old stuff, I thought Id move towards new stuff...

The most underrated song is *Virtuality*. While the lyrics have not aged well (as the internet is no longer 'new and exciting') - they still apply, and the music in this song kills small animals. The guitar work is very cool IMO, hard balls to the wall guitar, and a nice strum during the chorus, and a very interesting middle 8 beginning to end.

The most overrate song for me is Bravado. I get it, kind of a nice song, but it simply kind of lays there for me, and was definitely a mood buster at the shows, and it seems like they played it forever. laugh.gif

trink39.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 29 2010, 07:25 AM)
To yours, I cant speak to AL because Ive never heard anyone say that it was very good  laugh.gif

Really? Do a TRF search for the song - people drool over it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 29 2010, 07:25 AM)
The most underrated song is *Virtuality*.  While the lyrics have not aged well (as the internet is no longer 'new and exciting') - they still apply, and the music in this song kills small animals.  The guitar work is very cool IMO, hard balls to the wall guitar, and a nice strum during the chorus, and a very interesting middle 8 beginning to end.

For me lyrics can easily kill a song. When the lyrics are bad or goofy (as they are for me in Virtuality) I barely pay attention to the music. I'll have to listen again, and I'm sure the music rocks your socks off, but all I can think of is lyrics like "Net boy, net girl" and "Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea," and I throw up in my mouth a little. 062802puke_prv.gif eh.gif

I'd say "Closer to the Heart" is the most overrated. Don't get me wrong. I like the song, but it's tiring after while.

For underrated, I'd say "The Speed of Love" from Counterparts.

Big disagree on Available Light.

IMO, this song contains perhaps my favorite recorded Geddy vocals post the 1970s screeching era. And I love the lyrics, the nostalgic feel in parts and the build up to the chorus. Alex's bluesy guitar fills after some of the lines (especially "moments caught in flight") are tasteful and add color.

Sure, it's not exactly the most powerful or heavy thing they ever recorded, but then again, a song doesn't have to lose points just because its not a hard rocker.

• Like 1

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 29 2010, 08:18 AM)
I'd say "Closer to the Heart" is the most overrated. Don't get me wrong. I like the song, but it's tiring after while.

For underrated, I'd say "The Speed of Love" from Counterparts.

Don't forget to tell us WHY you think a song is over or underrated! smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 29 2010, 11:02 AM)
I'll have to listen again, and I'm sure the music rocks your socks off, but all I can think of is lyrics like "Net boy, net girl" and "Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea," and I throw up in my mouth a little. 062802puke_prv.gif eh.gif

laugh.gif

Everyday Glory off of Counterparts would be my first choice for an under rated song. Really love the lyrics and Alex's solo. I love to sing this song when Im driving.

Over rated, well.... Ummmmmm.... The local radio stations seem to only be able to play one song from Rush. I love the song, but I cant say its over rated. But there are times when Im listening to the radio I cant help but roll my eyes when it comes on. And all I can think is, from the vast library that Rush has, you seem to only play Spirit of the radio...... Again, I dont think its over rated, but Id like to reprogram our local radio stations to have one night a week, 4 hours of nothing but Rush!

Edited by LiquidSteel

Overrated: New World Man. THIS song becomes their biggest statistical hit? It just strikes me as a run-of-the-mill Rush song with some decent bass and a reggae feel. It's actually coming up very soon on my rankings.

Underrated: Lock and Key. It's well constructed, has a smoking Lifeson solo, features a great bassline and wonderful singing...and the lyrics are so relevant. I'll save the details for my writeup.

Overrated: The Fountain of Lamneth.

I think people like this song, and give it more of a chance simply because of it's length, and it's historical significance in the Rush catalog. I'm not a huge fan of the longer songs anyway, but they all have their merits and are pretty solid pieces of music. But TFOL just seems like random clips of music shoved together, interspersed with a random drum solo, and given some lyrics that almost make a concept. It was a stepping stone, everyone gives it that... why do we have to enshrine this stepping stone with adulation and concert-requests?

Underrated: Everyday Glory

I just love this song lyrically. The point it drives home about how the world, which is an entirely messed up place, doesn't change until individuals begin to change it for themselves. "Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try." That message kept the song in my top 5 for a long time. There was an interview with Neil I read once, where he says he doesn't think his lyrics are depressing, but are rather, "optimism with a bloody nose." I think this song perfectly embodies that.

Edited by New World Kid

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Aug 29 2010, 09:04 AM)
Overrated: The Fountain of Lamneth.

I think people like this song, and give it more of a chance simply because of it's length, and it's historical significance in the Rush catalog.

If anything I gave the song less of a chance because of its length. I didn't really get the song for many years and didn't try that often because it was such a huge endeavor to listen to it.

Now I think it's brilliant, but it did take years to grow on me.

Underrated: Superconductor. It's catchy, I like the lyrics about the packaging of performers with labels, and it gets mercilessly stomped on here.

Overrated: There's 3 that jump out to me, but to pick one I'd have to say...

The Fountain of Lamneth. There's a few moments where the eventual 2112 guitar tone rings out, but that is not nearly enough to make up for 19 minutes of rambling, barely coherent mistake. Just because it's an epic doesn't make it good.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

Underrated: The Speed of Love

This is my favorite song on Counterparts (an album I am otherwise indifferent about) and I really don't understand the angst people have towards it. I don't find the lyrics remotely cheesy or sanctimonious.

Alex's guitar work is sublime here, even if a little understated. One of his most un-noticed assets is his ability to leave space. The drumming is clean and punchy and Geddy has some nice little funky flurries in the break. It has a nice laid back, slightly ethereal quality in places that I like.

I should also mention Turn the Page. I've never seen anybody talk about this song here.... this is a great f-ckin' tune! And it really kicks ass on A Show of Hands.

Overrated: Kid Gloves

I've always felt this was a really awkward-sounding song. The lyrics sound like they were written in about 15 minutes and Geddy sounds like he's uncomfortable singing them. It just doesn't strike me as being particularly well constructed. Has a great guitar solo though.

Overrated: "The Camera Eye" I know a lot of people love this song and have been asking for years to hear it live. I just don't get the love for it. This song just seems so flat to me, it doesn't go anywhere. There's no buildup, no exciting part, nothing emotional in it which reaches out and grabs me. It's just there.

Underrated: "High Water" I find this to be one of their most beautiful songs and it's always getting dumped on. Alex does some amazing work and the chorus soars with some really great vocals from Geddy. This song is another example of how Rush can blend amazing lyrics, music, and vocals into a truly magical song. I don't understand why more people don't hear what I hear when listening to this song.

Underrated: The Body Electric. This is my favorite song off GUP, and I don't really see too much praise of it. At first, I wasn't too into the lyrics, but I think I've learned to like them. The riff during the 1-0-0-1 parts is my favorite part.

Overrated: Leave That Thing Alone. I find this song really annoying. I find it drags on way too long, and it just sounds like straight up elevator music.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Aug 30 2010, 07:27 AM)
Overrated: "The Camera Eye" I know a lot of people love this song and have been asking for years to hear it live. I just don't get the love for it. This song just seems so flat to me, it doesn't go anywhere. There's no buildup, no exciting part, nothing emotional in it which reaches out and grabs me. It's just there.

Underrated: "High Water" I find this to be one of their most beautiful songs and it's always getting dumped on. Alex does some amazing work and the chorus soars with some really great vocals from Geddy. This song is another example of how Rush can blend amazing lyrics, music, and vocals into a truly magical song. I don't understand why more people don't hear what I hear when listening to this song.

very good choices goodpost.gif

Underrated : Marathon, the song that made me a fan of Rush

Overrated: Tom Sawyer , dont get me wrong, its not bad, just wish the radio would play something else.

• Like 1

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 30 2010, 03:58 PM)
Overrated: Tom Sawyer , dont get me wrong, its not bad, just wish the radio would play something else.

Yes, well that's not the song's fault. It can't help how awesome it is and that people don't know how to practice moderation. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 30 2010, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 30 2010, 03:58 PM)
Overrated:  Tom Sawyer ,  dont get me wrong,  its not bad,  just wish the radio would play something else.

Yes, well that's not the song's fault. It can't help how awesome it is and that people don't know how to practice moderation. tongue.gif

Now now, i did not say " this is crap, it hate this song, what were they thinking blah blah" smile.gif

Underrated: Freeze! It doesn't get much love around here, I think it's the best song on Vapor Trails, and one of those rare instances where the shitty production worked in the song's favor. Too bad they probably can't do this one live sad.gif

Overrated: Bytor!!! Ok, the solo section is cool but the growling noises kinda ruin it. The rest of the song is just a typical early attempt at writing an epic, before the band really figured out how to get it right.