All 156 songs, ranked and reviewed by Deckiller

Deckiller

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Feb 25 2011, 12:09 AM) QUOTE (kookaluka @ Feb 24 2011, 09:30 PM) This has been an agonizing wait..........

Clockwork Angels will be out before this list is through, then he will have to start from scratch. 2014 is the magic number here folks.

LOL.gif

It'll be 2112 before this thing is done.

Yeah, it's probably a bit too low, especially since I just had to endure this song for the first time in two years:

<b>154. �Dog Years�</b>

GameFAQs rating: N/A (haven't reached it yet)

My rating: 3/10

I can�t stand this song. The only reason it�s higher than Rivendell is the nice basswork from Geddy and the better production. The lyrics are abysmal:

Dog years -- It's the season of the itch

Dog years -- With every scratch it reappears

Dog years -- For every sad son of a bitch

Dog years -- With his tail between his ears

I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos

Or a span of geological time

Than be living in these dog years

It seems to me

As well make our own few circles 'round the block

We've lost our senses

For the higher-level static of talk

I kind of get what Peart�s going for here, but it just doesn�t work. It falls flat. The guitarwork is heavy yet cheesy, and the chorus is almost embarrassing (�DOOOOOGGGGG YEARS�). �Kid Gloves� did a much better job with the frantic, up-beat, playful, innocent rock feel. And it actually had a real Lifeson solo.

This song is just an embarrassment to the boys, and one of the main reasons a lot of people dislike Test for Echo.

And then came �Virtuality�, but we�ll get to that in a little bit.

Peart is consumed with mortality he'd like to be a head in a jar ala Futurama but knows that is just science fiction. Dog Years is a fun mortality song, one of my favorites and much better than shite like Kid a Gloves and The Body Electric.

• Like 2

Thread stalled 4 sure ...........

But what I find amazing , both now & when I was following this back in 2010 / 2012

How much I like RUSH ...... ALL of Rush ! !

:)

Yes all...except The Body Electric.

;)

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Feb 25 2011, 12:09 AM) QUOTE (kookaluka @ Feb 24 2011, 09:30 PM) This has been an agonizing wait..........

Clockwork Angels will be out before this list is through, then he will have to start from scratch. 2014 is the magic number here folks.

LOL.gif

It'll be 2112 before this thing is done.

Yes - Deckiller please come back and finish your countdown!!!!

This is one of my all time favorite threads!!!!!!!

I got to 149 - What You're Doing - and stopped

sorry

I am assuming you stopped for the right reasons... :rush: :) Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

150. �You Bet Your Life�

GameFAQs rating: 5.33/10

My rating: 3.5/10

There are about 10-15 songs that could have gone into this slot, and I�ve looked at each one pretty carefully.

What makes this one �stand out�? The horrible, horrible middle section.

anarchist reactionary running-dog revisionist

hindu muslim catholic creation/evolutionist

rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

minimal expressionist post-modern neo-symbolist

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

Deconstruction primitive performance photo-realist

Be-bop or a one-drop or a hip-hop lite-pop-metallist

Gold adult contemporary urban country capitalist

What the heck, Neil! And the boys say they were high during Caress of Steel? Roll the bones, roll the bones. Geddy sounds like a robot while singing those lyrics; I kid you not.

And then there�s the horrible �THE ODDS GET EVEN�! It doesn�t even sound like the band sung that part; it just feels so out of place.

And then there�s the production. I feel that Rupert Hine was Rush�s weakest producer, as everything he did sounds paper-thin and flat. Maybe I should be blaming the engineers, but the producer usually takes the credit for the overall sound. For example, let�s put Alex�s guitar work on this song into the limelight. I�ll just let the lyrics do the talking:

�Just another gypsy with a plastic guitar��

Sorry, Alex! Your guitar sounds plastic on this song.

The music isn�t too bad, but it�s nothing notable. It�s as competent and well constructed as any mid-career Rush song, but the above mistakes can�t bring it out of 3.5/10 territory. A very lackluster closer for a very inconsistent album.

I think this song is actually quite a good fit for the album. It doesn't have the forced cheese rap of "RTB" and the music is much more catchy.

I feel like making a Rush songs ranked for some reason... it could be fun. Idk if people would want me to do it tho :huh:

Do it. Some TRFers will always not want others to do this or that kind of thread. So what?

You’ve made a ton of threads / polls and some of them have yielded plenty of fun conversation. Those that haven’t, oh well.

I feel like making a Rush songs ranked for some reason... it could be fun. Idk if people would want me to do it tho :huh:

Do it. Some TRFers will always not want others to do this or that kind of thread. So what?

You’ve made a ton of threads / polls and some of them have yielded plenty of fun conversation. Those that haven’t, oh well.

not a bad point :tempted:

Also, I would have to come up with a list before posting.

If you feel all 100-whatever songs are too big of a hurdle to rank, you could break it down in chunks. That is, rank the debut up to 2112. Then, in another thread, rank AFTK to Moving Pictures. And so on.

OR, you could go with the lightest variation and rank the songs on each album (different threads for each album) <—— This version wouldn’t be my first choice because it definitely seem like it’s been done before. And it seems a little too easy to do.

If you feel all 100-whatever songs are too big of a hurdle to rank, you could break it down in chunks. That is, rank the debut up to 2112. Then, in another thread, rank AFTK to Moving Pictures. And so on.

OR, you could go with the lightest variation and rank the songs on each album (different threads for each album) <—— This version wouldn’t be my first choice because it definitely seem like it’s been done before. And it seems a little too easy to do.

:no: Imma rank every Rush song in just one list :)

hard but it will be fun :LOL:

• Like 1

I’ll add this:

Those that criticize threads are often the ones who don’t make any threads. So f**k ‘em! :LOL:

I probably only post or vote in half or so of your threads but it’s cool to see them around, and I do check out most of them anyway.

http://youtu.be/lVY8SbQGW-Y

Just think of me as Apollo Creed motivating you to greater heights.

But when it’s all done I refuse to jump around with you in shallow waters on the beach

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

But when it’s all done I refuse to jump around with you in shallow waters on the beach

I got the songs written down and the numbers written down. Next I have to think about where to place the songs

I got the songs written down and the numbers written down. Next I have to think about where to place the songs

Well, Balboa, I imagine the first and last handful of songs are easier than what’s in the middle. I mean, what the hell’s the difference, for example, between #88 and #89? It’s not like you’d be judging Xanadu vs Rivendell for those spots.

• Like 1

Well, Balboa, I imagine the first and last handful of songs are easier than what’s in the middle. I mean, what the hell’s the difference, for example, between #88 and #89? It’s not like you’d be judging Xanadu vs Rivendell for those spots.

I just tried ranking the songs by numbers... it was too hard, so I stopped doing it. However, I will rank songs by tiers. I will make the thread pretty soon.