All 156 songs, ranked and reviewed by Deckiller

• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#21 Ted Barchetta

Ted Barchetta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1550 posts
  • Interests:I love playing bass and drinking iced tea.<br><br>Pretty Girls are nice too.<br><br>So are computers that work. And flat-screen televisions too.

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 27 2010, 09:05 PM)
146. “Lakeside Park”

GameFAQs rating: 5.50/10
My rating: 3.5/10

Kill me now! This is probably the Rush song I’ve listened to the least. I guess the reason I’m putting it this high is because it’s got a really nice riff and vocal melody. Geddy does a great job singing on this song! Lyrics are nostalgic and descriptive – typical of a mid-70s Peart song. The song still falls in my “meh” category, but I can definitely see why people like it.

I don’t see anyone pointing to this song when they think of Rush’s musicianship, though. Nevertheless, I will give them credit for giving us a brief glimpse of that “upbeat prog metal,” as I call it, that we’ll see on albums like Permanent Waves.

We're now out of that whole slew of 3.5/10s.

smash.gif  

Sponsored Post

#22 Deckiller

Deckiller

The Seeker

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

145. “Anagram (For Mongo)”

GameFAQs rating: 6.30/10
My rating: 4/10

I’ll just start by saying that I don’t care for the lyrics in this song, and I won’t even mention them for the rest of this writeup.

This song is just so bland. It starts off with the entire band playing together, which is pretty rare for a Rush song. That’s probably the only unique part of this whole song. Alex’s guitar work leaves a lot to be desired, though he does show off some nice variety between thick riffs and razor-thin, melodic strumming.

Geddy’s vocals are bland on this song. As with most of the Presto album, he’s being way too conservative. There’s just no zest to his vocals and melodies here, aside from the final verse. A lot of that could be Rupert’s production/the mix, but…something’s missing.

The song builds, and builds, and builds…and then shifts gears and loses momentum…and then builds up again with that very same chorus…and then goes nowhere. The outro is nice, but it REALLY needs a Lifeson solo at around the 3:15 mark.

Edited by Deckiller, 28 August 2010 - 12:15 AM.

#23 Deckiller

Deckiller

The Seeker

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

144. “The Stars Look Down”

GameFAQs rating: N/A
My rating: 4/10 (though, on second thought, probably 3.5/10)

Okay, I know this song has a great chorus. But the verses sound like a garage band, and that’s mostly a fault of the production. Alex’s guitar sounds like a wall of dirty sound, and not in a good way. Once again, Geddy sounds like he’s singing out of a megaphone by a picket line in front of…anything related to the State of Rhode Island.

The main riff is okay, but it’s nothing special for Rush at this point in their career. And the brief (yet not concise!) solo sounds like something out of mid-70s King Crimson…though I can pretty much guarantee that wasn’t Lifeson’s intent. Bad production shows its head again!

I also dislike the outro/final quarter of the song. It tends to drag and it’s just full of white noise. It’s almost hard to listen to at points…

I got a headache just listening to this song again. I probably should’ve ranked it lower, but I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt because of the horrible production.

#24 Deckiller

Deckiller

The Seeker

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

143. “Beneath, Between & Behind”

GameFAQs rating: 6.64/10

I don’t see the greatness in this song. It just seems like another early-Rush hard rock song, with a bad chorus. The chorus is just awkward, and that can be attributed to Peart’s overdone, wordy lyrics.

Beneath the noble birth
Between the proudest words
Behind the beauty, cracks appear
Once, with heads held high
They sang out to the sky
Why do their shadows bow in fear?

Watch the cities rise
Another ship arrives
Earths melting pot and ever growing
Fantastic dreams come true
Inventing something new
The greatest minds, and never knowing...

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rush/#share

Like I said in the Rivendell writeup, such wordiness pretty much typical of this album.

I do like the instrumental breakdown mid-song, but it’s nothing epic or riveting. It’s just another 3-minute ditty out of Rush’s early catalog.

Oh, and Geddy sounds pretty good on it. Kudos for having to sing that chorus!

Alright, that's probably it for the night. I'll do another 15-20 tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Edited by Deckiller, 28 August 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#25 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 99393 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

You should have decided to only rank 100 songs.. Because until you reach that certain point where you start actually liking rush songs, you're going to keep degrading on songs that are hated enough as it is..

Edited by Kenneth, 28 August 2010 - 01:45 AM.

#26 Deckiller

Deckiller

The Seeker

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 28 2010, 01:43 AM)
You should have decided to only rank 100 songs.. Because until you reach that certain point where you start actually liking rush songs, you're going to keep degrading on songs that are hated enough as it is..

Actually, we're getting into that "decent songs" territory for me. As in, songs I never skip, but don't particularly love. That vibe will probably last until 85 or so, but I'm definitely not going to diss on those songs like I did, say, You Bet Your Life.

#27 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

149. “What You’re Doing”???

The entire HYF record is worst than What You're Doing.

wacko.gif

#28 robertrobyn

robertrobyn

Positive attitude, positive results

• Members
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Rush and More Rush!! Collecting Rush Stuff!!! My Family!

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

Great topic!!! Would anyone have all RUSH songs on like an excel spreadsheet they can email me.. TCE should be in top five I hope.

Edited by robertrobyn, 28 August 2010 - 03:43 AM.

#29 *Limelight*

*Limelight*

The Limey

• Members *
  • 17556 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 27 2010, 10:13 PM)
145. “Anagram (For Mongo)”

GameFAQs rating: 6.30/10

I’ll just start by saying that I don’t care for the lyrics in this song, and I won’t even mention them for the rest of this writeup.

This song is just so bland. It starts off with the entire band playing together, which is pretty rare for a Rush song. That’s probably the only unique part of this whole song. Alex’s guitar work leaves a lot to be desired, though he does show off some nice variety between thick riffs and razor-thin, melodic strumming.

Geddy’s vocals are bland on this song. As with most of the Presto album, he’s being way too conservative. There’s just no zest to his vocals and melodies here, aside from the final verse. A lot of that could be Rupert’s production/the mix, but…something’s missing.

The song builds, and builds, and builds…and then shifts gears and loses momentum…and then builds up again with that very same chorus…and then goes nowhere. The outro is nice, but it REALLY needs a Lifeson solo at around the 3:15 mark.

GTFO.

Maybe you don't care about the lyrics cause you don't understand they are tongue.gif

In anycase, let's the this show continue....(restrains from other comments)

Edited by *Limelight*, 28 August 2010 - 04:55 AM.

#30 *Limelight*

*Limelight*

The Limey

• Members *
  • 17556 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Aug 28 2010, 12:14 AM)

wacko.gif

laugh.gif

Wrong.

But What You're Doing is still a good track.

HYF is better though. tongue.gif (yes even Tai Shan)

#31 fred

fred

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:21 AM

What is this gamefaqs rating? What people voted on gamefaqs?

On the voting... i think it's pretty good so far. I may not agree on every song, but the general voting is approved. But where is heresy and everyday glory? : P

#32 Bastille Dave

Bastille Dave

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1942 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

well, sorry dude but I gave up after "Take A Friend", "Madrigal", and Going Bald". I would rather hear Madrigal 10 times a day for a year than hear anything theyve done in the last 20 years. Narrowminded? yeah, maybe but the classic Rush is THE Rush.

#33 The Mighty Dudad

The Mighty Dudad

The Seeker

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

At #143 already and no sign of "Speed of Love" yet?? That, along with Neurotica and You Bet Your Live, are definitely in my bottom 10.

Looking forward to watching this progress...although I really hope you have thick skin.

#34 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 27 2010, 10:05 PM)
146. “Lakeside Park”

GameFAQs rating: 5.50/10

Kill me now! This is probably the Rush song I’ve listened to the least. I guess the reason I’m putting it this high is because it’s got a really nice riff and vocal melody. Geddy does a great job singing on this song! Lyrics are nostalgic and descriptive – typical of a mid-70s Peart song. The song still falls into my “meh” category, but I can definitely see why people like it.

I don’t see anyone pointing to this song when they think of Rush’s musicianship, though. Nevertheless, I will give them credit for giving us a brief glimpse of that “upbeat prog metal,” as I call it, that we’ll see on albums like Permanent Waves.

We're now out of that whole slew of 3.5/10s.

While some of your choices are puzzling to me, this one is truly unfathomable.  Not only do I consider this the best song on Caress, it's probably my favorite song from the first 3 albums.  It displays a level of maturity and polish, mixed with melody, sentimentality and infectiousness that just works for me.  Honestly, I don't know why people don't in general single this song out more.  It's top 20 Rush for me all the way.

#35 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

In general, I have to say that while I greatly admire the scope of this endeavor of ranking every Rush song in order, I could never do it myself.  Recently I started a top 50 Rush thread, and that was HARD.

Really, if for no other reason, I couldn't do this because of the songs and albums I don't like.  For me to truly do this, it would mean I'd have to listen to those songs over and over again to truly determine what order to put them in, and I don't think I could do that to my ears by assailing them with analyzing Presto, RTB, T4E and VT to the degree I would need to in order to properly rank the bottom end of the Rush catalog.  When I can't stand a certain group of songs, I don't want to spend a lot of time with them trying to analyze which one is truly the worst of the worst.

#36 jtm9734

jtm9734

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 27 2010, 10:29 PM)
Yeah, it's probably a bit too low, especially since I just had to endure this song for the first time in two years:

154. “Dog Years”

GameFAQs rating: N/A (haven't reached it yet)
My rating: 3/10

I can’t stand this song. The only reason it’s higher than Rivendell is the nice basswork from Geddy and the better production. The lyrics are abysmal:

Dog years -- It's the season of the itch
Dog years -- With every scratch it reappears
Dog years -- For every sad son of a bitch
Dog years -- With his tail between his ears

I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos
Or a span of geological time
Than be living in these dog years

It seems to me
As well make our own few circles 'round the block
We've lost our senses
For the higher-level static of talk

I kind of get what Peart’s going for here, but it just doesn’t work. It falls flat. The guitarwork is heavy yet cheesy, and the chorus is almost embarrassing (“DOOOOOGGGGG YEARS”). “Kid Gloves” did a much better job with the frantic, up-beat, playful, innocent rock feel. And it actually had a real Lifeson solo.

This song is just an embarrassment to the boys, and one of the main reasons a lot of people dislike Test for Echo.

And then came “Virtuality”, but we’ll get to that in a little bit.

I agree.  Awesome thread!   goodpost.gif  yes.gif  

#37 jtm9734

jtm9734

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 27 2010, 11:24 PM)
And then there’s the production. I feel that Rupert Hine was Rush’s weakest producer, as everything he did sounds paper-thin and flat. Maybe I should be blaming the engineers, but the producer usually takes the credit for the overall sound.

Yeah, let's get Terry Brown back in there!

Man, again, I love this thread.  Awesome!

#38 jtm9734

jtm9734

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 27 2010, 11:47 PM)
148. “How It Is”

GameFAQs rating: N/A

I’m going to get a lot of flak for this one as well. First of all, we all know that the production on this entire album is bad, and it really screws with the rankings for these songs.

It’s a sweet little folk rock song. Honestly, it would probably fit somewhere on Snakes and Arrows…but it just doesn’t work that well. Nothing is memorable to me, and I usually skip it when it pops up. Geddy’s little “oh oh ah oh” filler melodies are, as with many songs on this album, completely pointless. The music itself is just plodding and pedestrian; nothing stands out, even the aggressive guitar parts.

And it goes on a bit too long. It’s 4:05, but it could probably be cut to 2:50.

It actually sounds like Geddy is singing through a microphone at parts, to be honest. But isn’t that How It Is…with the rest of the album? How it’s going to be…on Clock—oh no, no way! Not with Nick producing!

Another “Meh” track for me.

A terrible, just terrible song.  I think Rivendell is better than this one.  LOL.  And I don't know who's responsible for this, the engineer(s) or producer(s), but I think that Vapor Trails was recorded way too compressed and LOUD!  Anyone agree?  I love Ceiling Unlimited and Earthshine, but I don't listen to them too much on purpose for this reason.

#39 nappy2112

nappy2112

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2508 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Aug 28 2010, 02:14 AM)

wacko.gif

Yeah this.  laugh.gif  

#40 jtm9734

jtm9734

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 28 2010, 12:33 AM)
143. “Beneath, Between & Behind”

GameFAQs rating: 6.64/10

I don’t see the greatness in this song. It just seems like another early-Rush hard rock song, with a bad chorus. The chorus is just awkward, and that can be attributed to Peart’s overdone, wordy lyrics.

Beneath the noble birth
Between the proudest words
Behind the beauty, cracks appear
Once, with heads held high
They sang out to the sky
Why do their shadows bow in fear?

Watch the cities rise
Another ship arrives
Earths melting pot and ever growing
Fantastic dreams come true
Inventing something new
The greatest minds, and never knowing...

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rush/#share

Like I said in the Rivendell writeup, such wordiness pretty much typical of this album.

I do like the instrumental breakdown mid-song, but it’s nothing epic or riveting. It’s just another 3-minute ditty out of Rush’s early catalog.

Oh, and Geddy sounds pretty good on it. Kudos for having to sing that chorus!

Alright, that's probably it for the night. I'll do another 15-20 tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Those is some fightin' words.   rage.gif   No, that's ok.  I haven't see Tai Shan yet.  To me that is the grand puba of filler songs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users