Witch Hunt

Pags

When I was a new member here, Barney started these threads about once a week. They were awesome. Then AGP carried on the tradition, and now it's my turn to step up. The idea hit me when I was driving home just now, and for whatever reason Witch Hunt was the first song that immediately came to mind.

So.... Dicuss.

I dislike the guitar solo they shove in when it is live, I really liked that little bass riff Geddy used to do instead.

Aside from that an awesome song.

Lyrically, this is one of the deepest RUSH songs IMHO.

Deals with the mob mentality, fear of the unknown, ignorance and prejudice ... hate for those who different. etc.

Musically, it supports the lyrics perfectly. Heavy, dark ... emotional

Part III of Fear!

As a teen this song was important to me lyrically. Those who claim to be righteous are not necesarily (sp). It is also such a solid argument against censorship. This was a very brave song for that time. The very right-wing Christians were not happy looking into that mirror (if you will) and started spreading rumors of Rush's Satan worship.

Im sorry to get off the point but sometimes I wonder how serious Christians who are fans of Rush reconcile the two in their own mind. Rush is moral, and yet anti-Christian.

Just wondering. not trying to offend.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Apr 14 2005, 09:30 PM)
A HUNT!? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif *looks around* where!?!? hahaha ok enough...I like the song, it's good in my books. smile.gif Plus witches are just so damn cool biggrin.gif

I was told Stevie Nicks who was the singer for the band Fleetwood Mac was a witch. I dunno if that was true or not. 2.gif Rules!

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 14 2005, 09:43 PM)

Deals with the mob mentality, fear of the unknown, ignorance and prejudice ... hate for those who different. etc.

Part III of Fear!

What happened to Part I and Part II of Fear? 2.gif Rules!

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 14 2005, 09:53 PM)
As a teen this song was important to me lyrically. Those who claim to be righteous are not necesarily (sp). It is also such a solid argument against censorship. This was a very brave song for that time. The very right-wing Christians were not happy looking into that mirror (if you will) and started spreading rumors of Rush's Satan worship.

Im sorry to get off the point but sometimes I wonder how serious Christians who are fans of Rush reconcile the two in their own mind. Rush is moral, and yet anti-Christian.

I am a Christian and as far as I know, it isn't a sin to be a RUSH fan.

Also, since when has RUSH been ANTI Christian? I am not anthiest, but I am not anti atheist!! I am not Jewish but I am not anti Jewish. and so forth.

Also, RUSH made it a little hard on themselves with the red star. Most who did not know about 2112, assumed it was a satanic symbol. You have to admit on the surface, it seems that way. I spent a lot of time explaining that it wasn't satanic. AND ... it was more of an anti rock thing. I was there, I lived through it as a Christian and a RUSH fan.

That was stupid.

I'll answer it myself.

The ones who aren't smart enough to think for themselves aren't fans. The rest just turn down the car stereo as they pull into the church parking lot.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 14 2005, 10:09 PM)

Also, since when has RUSH been ANTI Christian? I am not anthiest, but I am not anti atheist!! I am not Jewish but I am not anti Jewish. and so forth.

Also, RUSH made it a little hard on themselves with the red star. Most who did not know about 2112, assumed it was a satanic symbol. You have to admit on the surface, it seems that way. I spent a lot of time explaining that it wasn't satanic. AND ... it was more of an anti rock thing. I was there, I lived through it as a Christian and a RUSH fan.

"You can choose a ready guide from some celestial source?"

Neil just called the Bible a "ready guide" and God a "celestial source"

There are more....

But my choice of "anti-christian" was poor wording, sorry.

Please strike what I said from the record....thank you.

I went through alot of Sh!t to be a Rush fan 20 years ago too. Many people thought they were evil or something but I saw only beauty. So thats when me and Christianity parted ways, thank you.

There are more....

No apology needed. Your entire post support that anyway. Even without the term "anti-Christian" ... I understand your point of view, it isn't something us Christians have not seen before. smile.gif

Also, ready guide and celestial source could be the Koran (sp?) that Muslims use, it could be the old testament that Jewish people use ... etc etc ... why the Bible? why Jesus?

Anyway ... I love this song ... for who it exposes, those who hate, those who prejudge, those who fear those who are not like themselves. These are all characteristics of humans, not just extreme "Christians." I use quotes as I do not believe true Christians believe that way. ALso, I know, we are not supposed to judge, but I do sometimes smile.gif

I really like the keys and the drum fills on this tune.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 14 2005, 10:24 PM)

I went through alot of Sh!t to be a Rush fan 20 years ago too. Many people thought they were evil or something but I saw only beauty. So thats when me and Christianity parted ways, thank you.

Well, you and I went through the same thing ... I went through it when 2112 was released, it was tough. But, I have never let others affct what I like. Like I said before, it isn't a sin to like RUSH. They had no answer to that.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 14 2005, 08:31 PM)

Well, you and I went through the same thing ... I went through it when 2112 was released, it was tough. But, I have never let others affct what I like. Like I said before, it isn't a sin to like RUSH. They had no answer to that.

Amen Brutha!!!! biggrin.gif

I recited Witch Hunt for a drama project in High Screwal.. It didn't "sound" as good as when Ged sings it, but the dark and eeeerie lyrics were perfect for the project I was doing.. I sucked at drama anyway.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 14 2005, 10:31 PM)

You are a brave man. wink.gif

Not that I am a coward, I just got sick of arguing and explaining and being thought of as a pariah, and decided something was wrong with them not me.

In some ways I was forced into a choice.

Please forgive me Paganoman for destroying your "Witch Hunt" thread...Which is a kick ass song!!

**Edited by DM to fix a clerical error

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Apr 14 2005, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Apr 14 2005, 09:30 PM)
A HUNT!?  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  *looks around* where!?!? hahaha ok enough...I like the song, it's good in my books. smile.gif  Plus witches are just so damn cool biggrin.gif

I was told Stevie Nicks who was the singer for the band Fleetwood Mac was a witch. I dunno if that was true or not. 2.gif Rules!

oh yea? me thinkie that Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart are Witches....could explain well the way they look and the lyrics and songs...hmmm I wonder about Stevie Nicks...thanks for telling me that...if it's true that would be neat smile.gif

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Apr 14 2005, 10:08 PM)

Part III of Fear!

The Weapon

Part II of 'Fear'

We've got nothing to fear - but fear itself?

Not pain or failure, not fatal tragedy?

Not the faulty units in this mad machinery?

Not the broken contacts in emotional chemistry?

With an iron fist in a velvet glove

We are sheltered under the gun

In the glory game on the power train

Thy kingdom's will be done

And the things that we fear are a weapon to be held against us...

He's not afraid of your judgement

He knows of horrors worse than your Hell

He's a little bit afraid of dying -

But he's a lot more afraid of your lying

And the things that he fears

Are a weapon to be held against him...

Can any part of life - be larger than life?

Even love must be limited by time

And those who push us down that they might climb -

Is any killer worth more than his crime?

Like a steely blade in a silken sheath

We don't see what they're made of

They shout about love, but when push comes to shove

They live for the things they're afraid of

And the knowledge that they fear

Is a weapon to be used against them...

The Enemy Within

Part one of 'Fear'

Things crawl in the darkness

That imagination spins

Needles at your nerve ends

Crawl like spiders on your skin

Pounding in your temples

And a surge of adrenaline

Every muscle tense-

To fence

The enemy within

I'm not giving in

To security under pressure

I'm not missing out

On the promise of adventure

I'm not giving up

On implausible dreams-

Experience to extremes-

Experience to extremes

Suspicious-looking stranger

Flashes you a dangerous grin

Shadows across your window-

Was it only trees in the wind?

Every breath a static charge-

A tongue that tastes like tin

Steely-eyed outside to hide the enemy within...

To you-is it movement or is it action?

It is contact or just reaction?

And you-revolution or just resistance?

Is it living, or just existence?

eah, you-it takes a little more persistence

To get up and go the distance...

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 14 2005, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 14 2005, 10:09 PM)

There are more....

Thanks for clearing that up yes.gif But my problem with the song which is Great!! is if your going to write about religion, then include all Religions not just one. I thought that was "being narrow minded". Am I wrong here??

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 14 2005, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Apr 14 2005, 10:08 PM)

Part III of Fear!

The Weapon

Part II of 'Fear'

We've got nothing to fear - but fear itself?

Not pain or failure, not fatal tragedy?

Not the faulty units in this mad machinery?

Not the broken contacts in emotional chemistry?

With an iron fist in a velvet glove

We are sheltered under the gun

In the glory game on the power train

Thy kingdom's will be done

And the things that we fear are a weapon to be held against us...

He's not afraid of your judgement

He knows of horrors worse than your Hell

He's a little bit afraid of dying -

But he's a lot more afraid of your lying

And the things that he fears

Are a weapon to be held against him...

Can any part of life - be larger than life?

Even love must be limited by time

And those who push us down that they might climb -

Is any killer worth more than his crime?

Like a steely blade in a silken sheath

We don't see what they're made of

They shout about love, but when push comes to shove

They live for the things they're afraid of

And the knowledge that they fear

Is a weapon to be used against them...

The Enemy Within

Part one of 'Fear'

Things crawl in the darkness

That imagination spins

Needles at your nerve ends

Crawl like spiders on your skin

Pounding in your temples

And a surge of adrenaline

Every muscle tense-

To fence

The enemy within

I'm not giving in

To security under pressure

I'm not missing out

On the promise of adventure

I'm not giving up

On implausible dreams-

Experience to extremes-

Experience to extremes

Suspicious-looking stranger

Flashes you a dangerous grin

Shadows across your window-

Was it only trees in the wind?

Every breath a static charge-

A tongue that tastes like tin

Steely-eyed outside to hide the enemy within...

To you-is it movement or is it action?

It is contact or just reaction?

And you-revolution or just resistance?

Is it living, or just existence?

eah, you-it takes a little more persistence

To get up and go the distance...

Don't forget Part 4...Freeze from VT yes.gif

Witch Hunt was only one of three songs I had not yet heard when I bought Moving Pictures and I loved it immediately. I thought the music really conveyed the meanings and messages written in the lyrics.

I am also impressed with the synthesizer work.

Funny thing is, when they wrote this tune, it was written so as to not care about being performed live, but eventually was on the Grace Under Pressure tour as part of the then-known Fear Trilogy. trink38.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 14 2005, 11:44 PM)
Please forgive me Paganoman for destroying your "Witch Hunt" thread...Which is a kick ass song!!

No apology needed, here. This is a thought provoking song, and it's doing just what Neil intended.

To lighten it up however, I love how Neil just goes ape shit on the electronic drums on ASOH.

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 15 2005, 08:26 AM)
Witch Hunt was only one of three songs I had not yet heard when I bought Moving Pictures and I loved it immediately. I thought the music really conveyed the meanings and messages written in the lyrics.

I am also impressed with the synthesizer work.

Funny thing is, when they wrote this tune, it was written so as to not care about being performed live, but eventually was on the Grace Under Pressure tour as part of the then-known Fear Trilogy. trink38.gif

CT!!!! How the hell ya been man??

Archived