I finally did it!

Tarkus406

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Aug 31 2010, 11:03 AM)
This suggestion was purely based on my past experiences owning and playing the living hell out of my RIC. It was just what we did back in the day to tighten up our sound. I played it with the stock bridge and without. The tone was a ton better along with the action and scale.

It just added a certain "punch" to the bass and playability that I just could never get jaggin' around with the stock bridge.

It might be a thing of the very distant past but if you look into it this preference is hardly unique to me.

Don't ever be affraid to make an instrument your own no matter what it is.

And with all due respect: Chris Squire is no Geddy Lee. Dude plays with a pick. 'Nuff said?

A different bridge can give you more mass, which can affect tone and sustain, or it can allow you adjust the intonation differently. And that's pretty much it. You can adjust the action the same way with pretty much any bridge. You can't say "my action is better with this or that bridge," because you can use a string action gauge and a radius gauge and match the action perfectly.

And I'm shocked that you're that closed-minded about Chris Squire just because he uses a pick. Listen to the monster bass lines the guy comes up with. Listen to "Siberian Khatru" and "Close To The Edge" -- you're telling me that's not a master prog bassist at work just because he plays with a pick? C'mon...

And Squire's also the guy who inspired Geddy to pick up a Ric in the first place, remember? And if you haven't noticed, Ged has been trying to emulate Chris' pick-like attack ever since, especially lately. The two new songs feature an obvious pick-like attack.

Check out this interview. He talks about his sounds and techniques and influences. Squire gets mentions for having great bass tone and for his melodic bass lines.

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Aug 31 2010, 08:03 AM)
This suggestion was purely based on my past experiences owning and playing the living hell out of my RIC. It was just what we did back in the day to tighten up our sound. I played it with the stock bridge and without. The tone was a ton better along with the action and scale.

It just added a certain "punch" to the bass and playability that I just could never get jaggin' around with the stock bridge.

It might be a thing of the very distant past but if you look into it this preference is hardly unique to me.

And with all due respect: Chris Squire is no Geddy Lee. Dude plays with a pick. 'Nuff said?

Knocking Chris Squire is like knocking Paul McCartney. Wouldn't have Geddy Lee without either of them. Both play with a pick. John Entwistle played with both a pick and his fingers. You gonna knock him too? He was the single most influential player on Geddy. Being a snob only limits oneself.

Modifying an instrument "just because that's what we did" is not a valid reason to recommend it to someone else. Modifying it to be like a famous player is also not a valid reason. Rickenbackers and Gibsons are valuable instruments "off the rack" and modifying one without an endorsement contract or with your average bank account is a potentially risky proposition with regard to the market value of a given instrument. Goading someone by telling them "not to be afraid" to make an instrument his "own" also makes no sense. Modifying an instrument should only be done if the stock functionality doesn't work for the player, not to make it one's own.

I have a Les Paul but don't care for the tonality of the neck pickup in some situations. I will change the pickup to something that works better for me, not because I need to change the pickup to make it "mine." It's already mine because I bought it.

BadAss bridges were designed as replacements for Fender style bridges which are low mass. Geddy put one on his Ric because he has an affectation for them and because his Ric is a "road instrument," a tool of his trade. No one here is a touring musician and launch is the only one here I know of with endorsement deals. That is a completely different situation than someone who buys instruments with their own money. That instrument may have to be sold one day (as some have been around here due to the stressed economy).

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 31 2010, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Aug 31 2010, 08:03 AM)

Knocking Chris Squire is like knocking Paul McCartney. Wouldn't have Geddy Lee without either of them. Both play with a pick. John Entwistle played with both a pick and his fingers. You gonna knock him too? He was the single most influential player on Geddy. Being a snob only limits oneself.

goodpost.gif

A true virtuoso learns all the ways of his instrument. yes.gif

Soooooo,

http://images.roflbot.wigflip.com/1/f/OOJXkxVCc5tohWCU/roflbot-YW3V.jpg

http://images.roflbot.wigflip.com/x/K/gT9MAiahxacuBgfq/roflbot-FWOu.jpg

Look guys let's end the Witch Hunt here ok? I don't like bass players who play with picks. Period. No, Paul McCartney (WTF?) was not a "great" bass player. Great songwriter but a pocket awesome bassist? Not in any sense.

As far as the bridge setup goes - if you haven't played/owned a RIC or bass for that matter get your mouth shut OK? I am simply passing along what I did to make mine more playable.

Again - I never bought an instrument thinking "Oh boy I had better not get a scratch on this thing and even try to make it my own because I might not get as much as I paid for it @ the pawn shop!" :sadsmileythingy:

I buy instruments to play the living hell out of them. The stock bridges look and play hideous. The plastic nut sounds like dog shit as well. And if it was good enough for Geddy - it's more than good enough for me or you....buying a RIC to play....let's see...RUSH maybe?

It's all a matter of preference really - and that's what I prefer. You can get all scientific about it if you would like and tell me that it doesn't sound or play any different even though YOU'VE NEVER OWNED OR PLAYED ONE!*%@

Really guys?

And don't get me started on Les Pauls either. Holy. Shit. Aneurysm in t-minus 10-9-8.......

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 1 2010, 06:27 AM)
Look guys let's end the Witch Hunt here ok? I don't like bass players who play with picks. Period. No, Paul McCartney (WTF?) was not a "great" bass player. Great songwriter but a pocket awesome bassist? Not in any sense.

As far as the bridge setup goes - if you haven't played/owned a RIC or bass for that matter get your mouth shut OK? I am simply passing along what I did to make mine more playable.

Again - I never bought an instrument thinking "Oh boy I had better not get a scratch on this thing and even try to make it my own because I might not get as much as I paid for it @ the pawn shop!" :sadsmileythingy:

I buy instruments to play the living hell out of them. The stock bridges look and play hideous. The plastic nut sounds like dog shit as well. And if it was good enough for Geddy - it's more than good enough for me or you....buying a RIC to play....let's see...RUSH maybe?

It's all a matter of preference really - and that's what I prefer. You can get all scientific about it if you would like and tell me that it doesn't sound or play any different even though YOU'VE NEVER OWNED OR PLAYED ONE!*%@

Really guys?

And don't get me started on Les Pauls either. Holy. Shit. Aneurysm in t-minus 10-9-8.......

Chill, people. Whatever way we prefer our Rics is up for us as individuals to decide. I respect the way Chronicles has his Ric as much as I respect the way Geddy has his.

Something we haven't heard in a few weeks....IT'S ALL GOOD! trink39.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Aug 25 2010, 11:41 AM)
Now rip that horrible stock bridge off of it and install a BadAssII with a brass nut and you're in business! That's how mine is set up anyway. Best sounding Ric around.....

Screw that.

Here's a better replacement bridge......

http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part...Bass_Bridge.htm

And brass nuts do nothing. They were popular for awhile in the late seventies and early eighties. They gone now. For a reason.

They don't work as good as other nuts. The original nut on the Ricks is just fine or use a bone nut.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 1 2010, 03:59 PM)
Now rip that horrible stock bridge off of it and install a BadAssII with a brass nut and you're in business! That's how mine is set up anyway. Best sounding Ric around.....

Screw that.

And brass nuts do nothing. They were popular for awhile in the late seventies and early eighties. They gone now. For a reason.

They don't work as good as other nuts. The original nut on the Ricks is just fine or use a bone nut.

Screw that bridge too. Here is a better bridge. Makes the bass body heavy though, difficult to keep the neck at a comfortable height.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/Sir_Lerxst/Forth20Bridge20from20ship201020small.jpg

And yes. That really was the driest, least funny joke in the world... yes.gif

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Sep 1 2010, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 1 2010, 03:59 PM)

Screw that.

Screw that bridge too. Here is a better bridge. Makes the bass body heavy though, difficult to keep the neck at a comfortable height.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/Sir_Lerxst/Forth20Bridge20from20ship201020small.jpg

And yes. That really was the driest, least funny joke in the world... yes.gif

ohmy.gif THAT's THE ONE! Can't wait to put one of those bad boys on my Ricky! yes.gif

Geddy is hardly a "pocket awesome" bass player. Pocket implies a groove player like James Jamerson. But not Geddy. Geddy is an aggressive melodic player. Someone who plays in the pocket is completely different. Go listen to "Something" or "Don't Let Me Down" and get back to me about McCartney's playing. Pick or not that is some great playing. Hardly anything close to typical.

At least the Hipshot is designed to replace a Ric bridge. Still not putting one on mine. I didn't buy mine to be like Geddy or Squire. I bought it because I had used it on a bunch of recordings and I liked it. It sounds great but it doesn't play as well as a J. Between my Geddy (complete with a BadAss) and my stock J my Geddy plays better (faster neck) but I prefer the tone of the stock J with the Fender bridge. I too buy my instruments to play, not to collect. That doesn't mean I want to wreck them by changing them. I bought them for a reason.

There's no accounting for taste.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 1 2010, 03:47 PM)
Geddy is hardly a "pocket awesome" bass player. Pocket implies a groove player like James Jamerson. But not Geddy. Geddy is an aggressive melodic player. Someone who plays in the pocket is completely different. Go listen to "Something" or "Don't Let Me  Down" and get back to me about McCartney's playing. Pick or not that is some great playing. Hardly anything close to typical.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone on this forum would say anything like that. McCartney was a great bass player and influenced almost every player after him. Even their early stuff is great - listen to All My Loving and try playing it and singing at the same time. And that was freaking 1963!! He was one of the best backbeat bass players ever IMO. Chris Squire was also an amazing player. WTF dude? ChroniclesofRush has a lot to learn.

Wellp, I got the bass today. Very disappointed. There's a split running down the side of the neck about 8 inches long, and the bridge is f*cked up (probably a good reason to throw a Badass on there, though)

But the split in the wood bothers me. I can't even play the bass since the split caused the fretboard to lift slightly, too close to the strings. I took it to a repair shop and am waiting for a call from the guy about what can be done about this, but I have a bad feeling I'm lookin at a $1400 paperweight sad.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 2 2010, 01:04 PM)
I'm sorry to hear that but don't count it out. Repairing something doesn't mean it can't still be great.

Well I dropped it off and the guy said its definately repairable and he can do it for about $120 bucks. The splits I mentioned were actually separations between the fretboard and the neck. So for the first 5 frets or so, the fretboard is pretty much lifting upward off the neck sad.gif He may have to remove the fretboard and re-set it. And once I hear about what he thinks of the bridge, I'll decide whether or not to get a Badass II and have him install that too.

It's looking like things may work out, seeing as it's in the hands of one of the best guitar guys in Connecticut. But there's also the chance I'm screwed. Either way...it's a lot of money. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

Edited by Tarkus406

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 2 2010, 01:17 PM)
I'm sorry to hear that but don't count it out. Repairing something doesn't mean it can't still be great.

Well I dropped it off and the guy said its definately repairable and he can do it for about $120 bucks. The splits I mentioned were actually separations between the fretboard and the neck. So for the first 5 frets or so, the fretboard is pretty much lifting upward off the neck sad.gif He may have to remove the fretboard and re-set it. And once I hear about what he thinks of the bridge, I'll decide whether or not to get a Badass II and have him install that too.

It's looking like things may work out, seeing as it's in the hands of one of the best guitar guys in Connecticut. But there's also the chance I'm screwed. Either way...it's a lot of money. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

Did you address the problem with the seller on Ebay? You could probably get your money back if you pushed it, or at least make him pay the cost of repairing it. In fact, if you paid by paypal, they probably haven't released the funds yet.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 2 2010, 02:26 PM)

Did you address the problem with the seller on Ebay? You could probably get your money back if you pushed it, or at least make him pay the cost of repairing it. In fact, if you paid by paypal, they probably haven't released the funds yet.

I called the guy and I think we're gonna work something out. He wasn't aware of the splits since they were so thin and hard to see. If the repairs come out good I'll probably ask for compensation, but if it can't be fixed for some reason I'm pushing for a return.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 2 2010, 01:35 PM)

I called the guy and I think we're gonna work something out. He wasn't aware of the splits since they were so thin and hard to see. If the repairs come out good I'll probably ask for compensation, but if it can't be fixed for some reason I'm pushing for a return.

Good. Don't leave any feedback until it is resolved. If the repairs are suitable, I would ask for the full repair cost plus a hassle fee. For example, if it is $150 to repair, I would ask for $300 off the price of the bass. He will probably do it to prevent the hassle of having to re-sell it and keep positive feedback. Document EVERYTHING. Don't delete the emails. Best of luck to you.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 2 2010, 05:51 PM)

Good. Don't leave any feedback until it is resolved. If the repairs are suitable, I would ask for the full repair cost plus a hassle fee. For example, if it is $150 to repair, I would ask for $300 off the price of the bass. He will probably do it to prevent the hassle of having to re-sell it and keep positive feedback. Document EVERYTHING. Don't delete the emails. Best of luck to you.

Thanks. We'll see how it goes. *crosses fingers*

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 2 2010, 05:51 PM)

All good advice, especially the feedback thing. I think the funds are frozen for 20 or 21 days if you don't leave feedback, but I'd double-check with PayPal.

I would be very cautious about those 'splits' since you mentioned that they are under the first five frets. That is the area that is affected with the truss rods. Have you removed the TRC and inspected the rods? Are the threaded rods sticking way out of the nuts? If so, those rods have been turned A LOT. They might need to be replaced. Also, that replacement bridge that I posted is well liked with a lot of Rickenbacker bass users because of the easier adjustments that can be done with it.

That stock Rickenbacker bridge really sucks. Intonating it is a tedious process.

Putting on a Badass bridge will require routing the body to make it fit. A Badass I bridge (like the one Geddy has on his old Rick) has to be set into the body a bit as well, or it will be too high on the bass and you'll never get the srings close enough to the neck to play it comfortable. And with either Badass bridge, you will need to make a ring around the bridge with some pickguard material or the routs from the original bridge location will be visable.

The Badass does add mass and therefore sustain. Intonating them is a breeze.

And Chris Squire is a monster bass player. If he was a fingerstyle player, Yes' music wouldn't have that same sound at all. Theres nothing wrong using a pick to play bass. There is something very, very wrong playing RUSH songs on bass using a pick though. It totally ruins the sound and feel of those tunes.

If you haven't already, I would consult some of the very fine people over at the Rickenbacker Resource. There are a lot of people there that do expert repairs and will be able to help you with that bass.

Good luck with that.

At least you didn't get this one...

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/Smashed4001-1.jpg