I finally did it!

Tarkus406

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Sep 14 2010, 01:32 AM)
Nice to hear you got a refund. Be very careful on the next one, this is an extremely common problem to all 4001's - no way this happened in transit, and no way the seller didn't know about it.

A common misconception is that the 4001 could not accomodate the added string tension of Roundwounds, which is not true. The fretboard separation that occurs on the lower 5 frets of the 4001s occurs during trussrod adjustment, not after higher tension strings are put on.

When everybody started putting Roundwounds on their Ric's in the 70's, the action came up due to added string tension, so out came the Allen keys, a couple of turns and crack! Off comes the fretboard. What was needed to be done was to actually push the neck into place and then make the truss rod adjustment. The truss rod design did not allow truss rod torque to be sufficient to actually pull that massive neck into position, you had to help it along with your hands before tightening the rods. As a result of improper truss rod adjustment technique, many 4001's have this fretboard separation at the first 5 frets. This is well documented in the Ric forum. Repairable, but severely impacts resale value. That's the first thing to look for in a 4001 - ask for close up pictures of the neck binding for the first 5 frets on both sides.

The 4003 truss rod design was modified so that regular truss rod ajdustment technique will not damage the neck. Still, I wouldn't touch the truss rods on mine - some things are better left to the experts!

That's good to know, PW, thanks! trink39.gif Unfortunately I've been finding these things out at the wrong time laugh.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 13 2010, 06:02 PM)
Geddy played with a pick on the intro to Jacob's Ladder.

No, he didn't.

That's his finger.

He's striking down on the string instead of across it.

He was also using his fingernails as picks a lot more then as well, but he was not using a pick for Jacob's Ladder or anything else either.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 15 2010, 06:37 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 13 2010, 06:02 PM)
Geddy played with a pick on the intro to Jacob's Ladder.

No, he didn't.

That's his finger.

He's striking down on the string instead of across it.

He was also using his fingernails as picks a lot more then as well, but he was not using a pick for Jacob's Ladder or anything else either.

He didn't start that technique until Counterparts 15 years later.

I have listened to that section very closely having reproduced it myself (see below). The only way to get that effect is with a pick. Tried growing my index fingernail a little longer but that still doesn't have the same body. It's only through the intro section.

He used a pick when playing the lower half of his doubleneck, so he has used a pick. Which was around the time they recorded Jacob's Ladder (2 tours before and 2 after).

I wasn't talking about his 'flamenco' style.

I should have said it this way....

Fingernails. He is doing quater note strokes that he can draw back on using his fingernail. All notes played with his right hand index finger using the nail as the 'pick'.

You DO have the sound though. It sounds great.

And, good job with JL!

Well anyway...I just got back from Rudy's Music in NYC with my brand new Jet-Glo 2010 Rickenbacker 4003 wub.gif

After going around the city trying out different 4001's and noticing a LOT of them had those cracks in the neck (though nowhere NEAR what that first bass had), I decided it was time to move on from the 4001 and take a more modern approach. So I bought a 4003. And I have to say, this bass is EXCELLENT! Much more ballsy than a 4001 and absolutely no problems with it whatsoever biggrin.gif

Like I've said before, I just wanted a Ric I could play the hell out of for years, and value didn't meant that much to me. Well now I have a brand new instrument to raise from a pup. I'll be able to say I got a vintage Ric in about 30 years anyway laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2010, 11:10 PM)
Well anyway...I just got back from Rudy's Music in NYC with my brand new Jet-Glo 2010 Rickenbacker 4003 wub.gif

After going around the city trying out different 4001's and noticing a LOT of them had those cracks in the neck (though nowhere NEAR what that first bass had), I decided it was time to move on from the 4001 and take a more modern approach. So I bought a 4003. And I have to say, this bass is EXCELLENT! Much more ballsy than a 4001 and absolutely no problems with it whatsoever biggrin.gif

Like I've said before, I just wanted a Ric I could play the hell out of for years, and value didn't meant that much to me. Well now I have a brand new instrument to raise from a pup. I'll be able to say I got a vintage Ric in about 30 years anyway laugh.gif

Nice! But...pics or you're just whistling dixie. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 16 2010, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2010, 11:10 PM)

Nice! But...pics or you're just whistling dixie. wink.gif

Oh they'll be up soon wink.gif

After all the bullshit, here's the end result:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/CIMG3894.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/CIMG3893.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/CIMG3890.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/CIMG3888.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/CIMG3885.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/CIMG3884.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/CIMG3897.jpg

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 19 2010, 04:40 AM)
Nice!

Have you tried it with that pack of Rotosound strings yet? I use Rotos on guitar and absolutely love them, and I've been meaning to try them on my bass sometime. Pricey, though, especially since I play bass with flatwounds.

I put those on right after taking the photos yes.gif

I love Rotosounds too, I'd been using them for the past couple of years.

I also found the pickup cover got in the way so I took it off while the strings were gone, and now I'm finding out about the sharp metal rim around the pickup. Yikes...stabbing my fingers to pieces. I think I'll be making a plate out of Corian to surround that pickup or something. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 20 2010, 08:25 AM)
Nice! Now you just have to learn how to play it unsure.gif

Just kidding Tark... laugh.gif

Very cool. I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

trink39.gif

laugh.gif I actually do have to adjust to it, as it feels much different from the jazz bass.

And thanks for meeting up with me on Thursday for drinks, Natch. Kept me safe from the tornado tongue.gif Great to see you trink39.gif

Thats just great!! My brother loves his Ricky to death. I see that bass and it screams Geddy...

on a side note my brother who is only 43 told me that he's thinking about a will as he has kids and its good to have it god forbid something did happen. So he tells me he's leaving me is Ricky and Geddy Jazz bass.

I was like thanks but you're gonna live along time and even if something happens, do you think I'm gonna start playing bass at like 80 years old? haha