I finally did it!

Tarkus406

Auction just closed on ebay for a 1975 vintage Rickenbacker 4001 bass guitar, jetglo (black) finish. biggrin.gif

I can't believe it! Never thought I'd get the chance to own one of these beasts wub.gif

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/images/guitars/1262732158-1975_Rickenbacker_4001_Bass_1.jpg

(not a picture of the actual bass, just one i found on google)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jaye @ Aug 24 2010, 06:38 PM)
ohmy.gif

Good going Tark!! wub.gif applaudit.gif
I hope it didn't cost too much... scared.gif

1350.00 USD

Not really too bad considering the amount of other Ric's out there between 2 and 3 grand scared.gif

I hate you.

tongue.gif

Just kidding, congrats on the bass, Derek! trink39.gif

Congrats! I've got a Midnight Blue 4003 (2010) and it's a beauty (just waxed it a couple hours ago). Take good care of it! They're incredible instruments!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Aug 24 2010, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Aug 24 2010, 06:38 PM)
ohmy.gif

Good going Tark!! wub.gif applaudit.gif
I hope it didn't cost too much... scared.gif

1350.00 USD

Not really too bad considering the amount of other Ric's out there between 2 and 3 grand scared.gif

Bargain!

Almost tempted to sell mine. The return on investment would be tremendous at this point (I paid $600 for my creme 4001 a long time ago). But it was one of my buddy's and part of the family. Don't think I could ever part with it. Even though it is rarely played anymore.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Aug 25 2010, 09:09 PM)
Unfortunately, the ROI is not as good as you think.

Darn money supply tax.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Yeah, but I paid the $600 in like 2004 or so. Now, my buddy on the other hand got it for $400 in 1986.

He bought a Geddy with the $600.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Aug 25 2010, 12:41 PM)
Now rip that horrible stock bridge off of it and install a BadAssII with a brass nut and you're in business! That's how mine is set up anyway. Best sounding Ric around.....

I dont know if I feel comfortable changing parts on a vintage bass just yet...I'd feel like I'm ruining something.

Agreed. I still have the original R bridge on mine. Don't monkey with the value of that instrument.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 26 2010, 04:49 PM)
Agreed. I still have the original R bridge on mine. Don't monkey with the value of that instrument.

Would he have to drill new holes to put a Badass bridge on there? Does Badass make a direct replacement bridge for the Ric?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 26 2010, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 26 2010, 04:49 PM)

Would he have to drill new holes to put a Badass bridge on there? Does Badass make a direct replacement bridge for the Ric?

That's the main thing about it. If the screwholes were exactly the same I would feel better about it, just being careful not to strip the threads and to keep the original bridge. Stuff like that is alright in my opinion. I actually plan on making a new pickguard out of Corian similar to what I did with my jazz bass. But as long as I keep the original pickguards to those instruments, I'm not losing anything. Easily switched back.

Hey, if you bought it for an investment then just put it in its case in a safe place. If you bought it to play it do yourself a favor and lose the plastic and really bad bridge.

It's all bolt on stuff. If you do have to relocate a screw hole or two it's always going to be buried underneath the original-stock-mondo-ass- bridge. Just take my word for it. I've been playing one of those since I was like 12.

The RIC my bass player uses is my first RIC I bought when I was just a weee pup. Mod it to play it.

An investment piece must also be played and maintained. The wood benefits from the resonance. If not played the instrument can become brittle.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 26 2010, 09:03 PM)
An investment piece must also be played and maintained. The wood benefits from the resonance. If not played the instrument can become brittle.

I'm buying this bass because I've always wanted a Rickenbacker 4001. It's not so I can sell it or anything. I still want it to be worth a little something, since it is vintage and whatnot, but I do want it to play as well as possible since I am going to be playing it.

The bridge won't make it play an better, but will alter the tone slightly. It is a very subtle difference. There is more mass than a stock J bridge. I have a friend who puts BadAsses on all his J basses and I have a stock J and a Geddy with a BadAss. I can feel no discernible difference in playability nor does it affect intonation. I am not certain there is more mass in a BadAss vs. a Ric bridge. Geddy has a affectation for these bridges, yet left his Jaco replica unaltered because that is the way that bass is. Chris Squire uses a stock bridge on his Ric.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 30 2010, 07:14 PM)
The bridge won't make it play an better, but will alter the tone slightly. It is a very subtle difference. There is more mass than a stock J bridge. I have a friend who puts BadAsses on all his J basses and I have a stock J and a Geddy with a BadAss. I can feel no discernible difference in playability nor does it affect intonation. I am not certain there is more mass in a BadAss vs. a Ric bridge. Geddy has a affectation for these bridges, yet left his Jaco replica unaltered because that is the way that bass is. Chris Squire uses a stock bridge on his Ric.

Well, Rics sound excellent with their own stock bridges anyway. I think I'm going to leave it. I'd shitting myself with fear trying to put a new bridge on properly anyway laugh.gif

This suggestion was purely based on my past experiences owning and playing the living hell out of my RIC. It was just what we did back in the day to tighten up our sound. I played it with the stock bridge and without. The tone was a ton better along with the action and scale.

It just added a certain "punch" to the bass and playability that I just could never get jaggin' around with the stock bridge.

It might be a thing of the very distant past but if you look into it this preference is hardly unique to me.

Don't ever be affraid to make an instrument your own no matter what it is.

And with all due respect: Chris Squire is no Geddy Lee. Dude plays with a pick. 'Nuff said?