RUSH 8 TRACK COLLECTION

robertrobyn

I am 46 and I can just about remember 8-Track

I am assuming they must have lasted a lot longer in the US of A

Why not open it up and ask if anyone has Rush on Betamax or Phillips 2000 laserdisc .. better still see who has it on the most rediculous format and can still access it !!

Its no good having a wax cylinder if you don't have a wax-cylinder player

I have really good memories of listening to 2112 and All The World's A Stage on 8 track... Used to kind of annoy me that sometimes songs had to segue from one track to the next, but I also remember not minding the trade off in sonic quality for not having to flip lp's...

Of course, now, it's a massive TREAT to listen to the older parts of the catalog on lp...

How many of the albums do you have on 8 track?!?!?!

I've seen every Rush album through p/g (!) on 8-track.

Interestingly, the Rush 8-tracks are rather hard to find.

I'm a 'dead technology' junkie, so I have scored a few high end 8-track player/recorder consoles in my time, and you know what?

Regardless of brand/quality, the format itself is horrible.

It is amusing to have a Wollensak component 8-track player in amongst the A/V stack in the living room, along with a rack of a dozen 8-track tapes next to the CD's and DVD's - but after the first 'ka-chink!' in the middle of 'La Villa' the fun is over... wink.gif

[there's a lovely gap in 'Hemispheres' as well - check it out...]

http://www.8-track-shack.com/images/Untitled-10%20copy070427.jpg

• Like 1

I never had 8-Track. But I still record from my CD's to 90 minute cassettes. I use these for my truck. The sound is great, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade to a CD player for the rig. I have a box in the truck stuffed full of RUSH, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and Joe Satriani cassettes. Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

I never understood why the 8 track standard for switching tracks required fading out a song and then fading it back in on the next track. I mean talk about a buzz kill.

It would have been much better to just run the song as is all the way until it switched tracks and then just pick it up again at full volume after it switched.

• Like 2

QUOTE (crunch @ Aug 24 2010, 09:13 AM)
I have really good memories of listening to 2112 and All The World's A Stage on 8 track... Used to kind of annoy me that sometimes songs had to segue from one track to the next, but I also remember not minding the trade off in sonic quality for not having to flip lp's...

Of course, now, it's a massive TREAT to listen to the older parts of the catalog on lp...

How many of the albums do you have on 8 track?!?!?!

The first Rush album I heard in its entirety was 2112 on 8-track. A friend put it in the player while we were riding in my cousin's car. Good times, indeed. cool10.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

Edited by tupelobarchetta

I have six 8-tracks.... Back in maybe '79-'80, I drove around in my 1974 AMC Hornet cranking these six tapes.... I was cool....

RUSH - A Farewell To Kings

Jethro Tull - Stand Up

Black Sabbath - Never Say Die

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Styx - Equinox

I have them stashed away in a box somewhere...labeled...'Crap I can never throw away'.

My first exposure to rush was the 8 track version of atwas. I think I killed it by listening to it so many times. I miss hearing the player jumping between tracks

Click.... Fade-in cheering audience..."Alright!....would you please welcome home- Rush!"

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Aug 24 2010, 03:55 AM)
Why not open it up and ask if anyone has Rush on Betamax or Phillips 2000 laserdisc .. better still see who has it on the most rediculous format and can still access it !!

I have "Exit Stage Left" on Beta and a Beta Max to play it on. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 24 2010, 09:01 PM)
My first exposure to rush was the 8 track version of atwas.  I think I killed it by listening to it so many times.  I miss hearing the player jumping between tracks

Click.... Fade-in cheering audience..."Alright!....would you please welcome home- Rush!"

I just had a flashback.......

All The World's A Stage......the crowd.....the click....the fade...."would you please welcome home - RUSH"

8 track was great....and then the futuristic cassettes came out.

All my 8 tracks and vinyl sit in a box.....oh the memories......

With mp3, etc, now my cds are getting dusty....

What's next?....A implanted micro chip of RUSH's discography in the brain....sign me up.

I had Hemispheres on 8 track and the fading thing was particularly annoying on the conceptual Bk II song cycle needs to be heard in a cohesive manner. Had a large collection of 8 tracks, lugged them around in a samsonite suit case size 8 track holder! Cruzin & boozin in my 1975 Dodge Aspen crank the sound of the audiovox 8 track.. tongue.gif

Remember how horrible it was to record music on a blank 8 track? Big thick metal record and pause buttons, always would hear on playback, that loud KLUNK when recording individual tracks from pressing and releasing pause button. laugh.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Aug 24 2010, 05:55 AM)
I am 46 and I can just about remember 8-Track

I am assuming they must have lasted a lot longer in the US of A

Its no good having a wax cylinder if you don't have a wax-cylinder player

I have a laserdisc player...video quality sucks and is nearly as good as VHF...

LOL

I used to have RUSH - Archives (first three RUSH albums specially packaged) on 8-track...I recall I traded my Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo 8-Track for it...whew that was a flash back !!

I actually do still have one 8-Track.

It is PINK FLOYD Animals.

The reason I kept is that is the only place you can get the song; Pigs On A Wing-Part Two, containing a Snowy White (additional part time guitarist for Pink Floyd) guitar solo at the end of the song.

For some reason; as far as I can find, this is the only place you could originally get this version of the song.

Edited by entmoot

QUOTE (entmoot @ Aug 25 2010, 09:56 AM)
I used to have RUSH - Archives (first three RUSH albums specially packaged) on 8-track...I recall I traded my Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo 8-Track for it...whew that was a flash back !!

I actually do still have one 8-Track.
It is PINK FLOYD Animals.
The reason I kept is that is the only place you can get the song; Pigs On A Wing-Part Two, containing a Snowy White (additional part time guitarist for Pink Floyd) guitar solo at the end of the song.
For some reason; as far as I can find, this is the only place you could originally get this version of the song.

I remember that! There a Pink Floyd "unofficial" collection of rarities (14 or so disc I think) that I found online. One of the discs has the full Pigs On The Wings track.

I acquired a couple of unopened Jim Croce 8-tracks from my grandmother when she passed. I thought they might be worth something so I took them to a local record store. I think they maybe offered $4 at the most so I kept them.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but Cheap Trick released "The Latest" on 8-track.

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 24 2010, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 24 2010, 10:34 AM)
If it wasn't made by K-Tel, it never made my 8-Track collection.

Did you get the free blender and ceiling mop with any of your orders? wink.gif

Yeah and they were all crap. laugh.gif

QUOTE (entmoot @ Aug 25 2010, 07:56 AM)
I used to have RUSH - Archives (first three RUSH albums specially packaged) on 8-track...

-me too, I loved it!! I wore it down to a thread!!!

I had probably 50 8-tracks easy, I had Rush Archives and ESL. I had all the prog rock and 70's staples.

It was cool, I started driving in 1979. Right when cassettes where coming on strong, found 8-tracks at the thrift stores and bargain bins at variety stores all over the Seattle/Everett area. Usually paid between 2-5 bucks a piece for them. Then in 1982 (ironically the same year the CD debuted) I had trouble finding players for the car. (could still get the turntable/radio/8-track stuff at the thriftstores - but I mosly listened on the road) so I started buying cassettes up when everyone was switching to CD's. Finally I had no more room for the cubic feet of 8-tracks and saw no need to hold on to them.

facepalm.gif

Oh well.

I now have boxes of cassettes and plastic tubs of VHS tapes.

I don't even know why.

Edited by Tom Sawyer