rush tribute albums

limbo

I know of around three 2.gif tribute albums. Well, I know of two really. I know of the new one called Subdivisions, and theres this older one called "Red Star: A Tribute to Rush" thats been for sale and a local used cd/vinyl store near me. I thought about checking it out and I might, but I dunno. I also heard a new Rush tribute came out other than "Subdivisions" but I dont know if thats true or not. I've never heard a 2.gif cover at all though.

Exit Stage Right is a tribute consisting of a string quartet's covers. I bought it at Walmart. I've heard many of the covers by simply going to Google and searching for them. Many sound good, but I have to ask the question, "Why bother?"

Here is a short breakdown of the ones I own or know of.

Red Star - A wide range of different metal bands. Punk, speed metal, grind core, thrash etc. Even a few serious attempts. All pretty obscure bands. Well worth checking out for any rush fan who is also into metal. Songs covered include:

Anthem, Working Man, Bastille Day, Subdivisions, What you're Doing, Tears, Passage to Bangkok, Tom Sawyer, The Temples of Syrinx, Freewill, Red Barchetta, and The Spirit of Radio.

Released of Dwell Records 1999

Working man - I own the first release and just heard of a second by the same people. A lot of good musicans but they just do not pull it off. Many of these people are 80's rooster rock ie Sebation Back(Skid Row) and Mark Slaughter. Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater) does most of the percussion. Stu Hamm and Billy Sheehan do much of the bass. These are great bass players, but again, they just cannot capture the feel and tone of Mr. Lee.

I recommend this to people who are into big hair metal and to those who need a good laugh.

Songs: Working Man, By-tor, Analog Kid, The Trees, La Villa, Mission, Anthem, Jacob's Ladder, Closer to the Heart, Natural Science, YYZ, Red Barchetta, Freewill.

Released of Magna Carta records in 1996

The last one I know of is the string quartet tribute. This album attempts to cover all of Exit Stage Left. They do a pretty good job and if you are into classical music be sure to check it out.

QUOTE (kylee @ Apr 17 2005, 09:09 PM)
The last one I know of is the string quartet tribute.  This album attempts to cover all of Exit Stage Left.  They do a pretty good job and if you are into classical music be sure to check it out.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Apr 17 2005, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (kylee @ Apr 17 2005, 09:09 PM)
The last one I know of is the string quartet tribute.  This album attempts to cover all of Exit Stage Left.  They do a pretty good job and if you are into classical music be sure to check it out.

Freewill is my favorite off of that one. yes.gif

what i don't like about these tributes is the way they were done, getting together a group of metal musicians to play straight covers of rush tunes doesn't really do anything for me, i would rather see a tribue along the lines of the john lennon tribute (working class hero) where they got different bands and solo artist to do their interpretations of his music (i.e. blues traveler does a heartbreaking imagine and cheap trick does a psychedelic cold turkey)

imagine pearl jam, billy corgan, audioslave and bands like that doing their take on rush classics.... could be awesome!

Aside from the people who just want to make money under the Rush name, I feel it is great that one band has inspired so many people, spanning so many types of music, to pay tribute. If nothing else, hopefully these albums will open up minds of rush fans to explore different types of music. (Although, I met enough Rush fans to know that most are always willing to explore new types and forms of expression.)

Ya know, Exit Stage Right...the tribute to Exit Stage Left, although classical...is simply awesome...If you like classical music at all you will be very very happy to own this. I love playing it when I'm in a mellow mood and am very very impressed by the quality of the attempt of the string quartet that did this...

I have no use for tribute albums. I'd rather spend my money on music that i don't already have.

However, I have (or used to have) a bootleg version of Guns N' Roses covering Red Barchetta in some studio session. It sounded EXACTLY the same as the Rush version except with Axl singing.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 19 2005, 07:22 PM)
I have no use for tribute albums. I'd rather spend my money on music that i don't already have.

However, I have (or used to have) a bootleg version of Guns N' Roses covering Red Barchetta in some studio session. It sounded EXACTLY the same as the Rush version except with Axl singing.

That wasn't guns 'n roses

Archived