• Please log in to reply
870 replies to this topic

#861 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 82782 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

Yuor_Lnio, have you ever heard some music like What If Pink Floyd Did Doctor Who, What If Tangerine Dream Did Doctor Who, What If Vangelis Did Doctor Who, What If John Carpenter Did Doctor Who, What If Kraftwerk Did Doctor Who..? They're on Youtube and pretty good.

Sponsored Post

#862 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

As well as the usual Christmas lights, this year our village has a TARDIS!

Posted Image

Obviously in honour of the fact that the upcoming Doctor, Jodie Whitaker, was born and raised in the village, some mystery people have got together and had this awesome model specially built and placed on the side of the street. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it!!! :yay:

#863 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11117 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostYour_Lion, on 14 December 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

Posted Image

Obviously in honour of the fact that the upcoming Doctor, Jodie Whitaker, was born and raised in the village, some mystery people have got together and had this awesome model specially built and placed on the side of the street. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it!!! :yay:

Did you try to open it?

#864 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 14 December 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostYour_Lion, on 14 December 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

Posted Image

Did you try to open it?
I tried but I couldn't get in :lol: Looks like I don't get to be the new companion

#865 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11117 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

So, first ever female Doctor. Is anyone watching the new season? I really liked the new Doctor in the first episode. Really thought she nailed it. The second episode was just ok for me.

#866 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 20508 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

Being skeptical of the casting of a female Doctor, I've got to say, Jodie is nailing it. She's got the frantic energy, the commanding expertise, and the pattering dialogue down to a science already. I'm pleasantly surprised by her interpretation of the Doctor, staying true to the character, in circumstances that may wrongmindedly advance the temptation to over-trailblaze.

In terms of look, the show has definitely stepped up production values. The premier was a little dark for my taste, but the Ghost Monument was really beautiful. I hope the bigger budgets and new influx of attention don't drive them to be too daring. I can't help but worry that the glitzy new appearance of the show will come crashing down the moment some bad CGI or Nerf-costumed alien makes an appearance; but for now, its looks nice.

The writing needs to reel it in. They would benefit from a less packed approach. They really seem to be overloading these episodes, to the point that they become a little hard to follow. I really don't like how they've called back to events that transpired off-screen or over the commercial break ('oh yea, while you were in the kitchen grabbing a soda, I diffused those bombs')... I get that unseen details help to drive suspense toward a big reveal, but I think a more straightforward approach would benefit them. These new TV seasons are short, and I'm fearing that their ambition will overflow the confines of time allowed.

All in all, it's a promising first two episodes- take the good with the bad. I'm in for more.

Edited by KenJennings, 17 October 2018 - 10:54 AM.

#867 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:19 PM

I've loved the season so far. I thought she was great in Broadchurch and expected good things. No disappointment at all.

The episodes have lacked subtlety, but I figure they sacrificed a bit of nuance in order to stake out what this show will be. I imagine now that the characters (other than the cop-in-training) have been fleshed out a bit the heavy-handedness will shift away to more complex narratives.

Right now, I'm a big fan of what's happening. Jody is absolutely perfect as the Doctor.

#868 LyndseyG

LyndseyG

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8052 posts
  • Interests:Reading, movies, knitting, cross stitch, playing my ukulele, the Seattle Seahawks and the New Orleans Saints.

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 PM

I'm loving it. Jodie is great!

After the first episode I posted on Facebook, "She made a Sonic Screwdriver out of spoons!" With a love heart-smiley as a background.

:dweez:

#869 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted Yesterday, 08:32 PM

The third episode was excellent. They made their introductions and now are ready for great writing. This show is GOOD.

#870 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88019 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

Doctor Who - 1970-1981

#871 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 840 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 PM

I was a Tom Baker guy too.  But love the new incarnation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users