The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Found this at a second hand book stall today. There was an offer of 3 books for £1.

It was printed in 1964. Pretty good condition. Not bad for 33.3333...pence!

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb414/lyndseyg2112/Screenshot_20170630-184957_edit_1498849570536.jpeg

Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 3

Have they revealed who is going to replace him?

Not yet. I think they're waiting until after the finale. It wouldn't surprise me if it was right after.

Even thought there was the glimpse of the regeneration last week, it's not actually going to happen until the Christmas episode (if you believe the Moff), so don't expect it to happen this week...unless they've got really good at hiding spoilers.

But the next Doctor has been cast, and they've already filmed the regeneration.

Found this at a second hand book stall today. There was an offer of 3 books for £1.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb414/lyndseyg2112/Screenshot_20170630-184957_edit_1498849570536.jpeg

Cool. I've got that one in it's 1973 reprint as part of the Target novelisation range.

The one you found is much rarer. 3 for £1? Great find! :ebert:

• Like 1

Not yet. I think they're waiting until after the finale. It wouldn't surprise me if it was right after.

Even thought there was the glimpse of the regeneration last week, it's not actually going to happen until the Christmas episode (if you believe the Moff), so don't expect it to happen this week...unless they've got really good at hiding spoilers.

I knew that, I just wondered if anyone has found out who is replacing him. Only way they could get me to watch again would be if David Tennant came back. And I don't think that's going to happen.

I knew that, I just wondered if anyone has found out who is replacing him. Only way they could get me to watch again would be if David Tennant came back. And I don't think that's going to happen.

Really? Bringing back an old Doctor (other than for a one-off special event) would be the number one thing that would signal the death of the show, for me.

It should look forward, not back. Especially since we're getting a new creative team this time, too.

I'm ready for a fresh approach

Cool. I've got that one in it's 1973 reprint as part of the Target novelisation range.

The one you found is much rarer. 3 for £1? Great find! :ebert:

Oh that was the only Dr Who one.

Really? Bringing back an old Doctor (other than for a one-off special event) would be the number one thing that would signal the death of the show, for me.

It should look forward, not back. Especially since we're getting a new creative team this time, too.

To me, he's been the best doctor the show has ever had, so I would love to see him come back. I'll be interested to hear what people say about whoever the new person is.

• Like 1

To me, he's been the best doctor the show has ever had, so I would love to see him come back. I'll be interested to hear what people say about whoever the new person is.

If you're interested in more David Tennant (and don't mind listening to audio stories) David and Catherine Tate recorded three full cast audio adventures for the Big Finish audio range last year. I've got them, and they're great.

And this November they're releasing three more, that David recorded earlier this year with Billie Piper. Looking forward to that.

here's links to them on the Big Finish site, including trailers for the stories:

10th Doctor and Donna

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-tenth-doctor-adventures-volume-01-1511

10th Doctor and Rose

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-tenth-doctor-adventures-volume-02-limited-edition-1658

If you're interested in more David Tennant (and don't mind listening to audio stories) David and Catherine Tate recorded three full cast audio adventures for the Big Finish audio range last year. I've got them, and they're great.

And this November they're releasing three more, that David recorded earlier this year with Billie Piper. Looking forward to that.

here's links to them on the Big Finish site, including trailers for the stories:

10th Doctor and Donna

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-tenth-doctor-adventures-volume-01-1511

10th Doctor and Rose

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-tenth-doctor-adventures-volume-02-limited-edition-1658

Thanks! I've heard of these but didn't know they were available online.

When I think back on Capaldi's tenure as the 12th doctor, this is going to be what I remember:

Winning? Is that what you think it’s about? I’m not trying to win. I’m not doing this because I want to beat someone… or because I hate someone or because I want to blame someone. It’s not because it’s fun. God knows it’s not because it’s easy. It’s not even because it works, because it hardly ever does! I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent. And above all, it’s kind. It’s just that. Just kind.

If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live… maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, maybe there’s no point in any of this at all, but it’s the best I can do, and I will stand here doing it until it kills me. You’re going to die, too, someday. When will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for?

Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.

These people are terrified. Maybe we can help- a little. Why not just, at the end, just be kind?

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

When I think back on Capaldi's tenure as the 12th doctor, this is going to be what I remember:

Winning? Is that what you think it’s about? I’m not trying to win. I’m not doing this because I want to beat someone… or because I hate someone or because I want to blame someone. It’s not because it’s fun. God knows it’s not because it’s easy. It’s not even because it works, because it hardly ever does! I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent. And above all, it’s kind. It’s just that. Just kind.

If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live… maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, maybe there’s no point in any of this at all, but it’s the best I can do, and I will stand here doing it until it kills me. You’re going to die, too, someday. When will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for?

Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.

These people are terrified. Maybe we can help- a little. Why not just, at the end, just be kind?

I loved that speech too!

• Like 1

That's amazing! I've never seen an original book like that before.

• Like 1

:cheers:

I had to get it. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.

• Like 1

That is sooo cool !! I love it!

• Like 1

That is sooo cool !! I love it!

Jodie Whittaker is going to be the 13th Doctor, and the first female Doctor (not counting Joanna Lumley in that comedy sketch)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-40624288

Most interesting for me, however, because Jodie Whittaker was in the same year as my brother at high school... that's the closest I am to a Doctor in actor-linking terms

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 3

Jodie Whittaker is going to be the 13th Doctor, and the first female Doctor (not counting Joanna Lumley in that comedy sketch)

Most interesting for me, however, because Jodie Whittaker was in the same year as my brother at high school... that's the closest I am to a Doctor in actor-linking terms

Its better thanme. I haven't got any links at all. :(

Very pleased, I think she'll be excellent.

Honestly I'm more curious about how the new show runner will handle things. But they both worked on Broadchurch, so there's already a working relationship (and hopefully a chemistry).

• Like 1

Crikey!

• Like 1

I really really like her in Broadchurch.

• Like 1

Crikey!

Technically, I went to school with her, too, just a few years behind. As I was starting high school, she was moving into Sixth Form (studying drama, obviously) but we were in the same building for a couple of years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what she brings to the Doctor, and I'm also looking forward to the change of head writer. Obviously, Chris Chibnall was head writer on Broadchurch, so he clearly knows what Jodie is capable of.

The second that Michelle Gomez character, Missy, was revealed to be an incarnation of the Master; a female Doctor became an inevitability. Missy went on to stand out as one of the greatest characters in the history of Doctor Who... but at the same time, I can't help but feel that Missy stood apart from the character I've always understood as The Master. Missy and The Master were fundamentally very different characters, not just with a different appearance; but different motivations, different perspectives, and even a different monicker... When we watched the most recent story, it really served to highlight that divergence. As much as I love the character of Missy, I don't think I'll ever reconcile that she was the same Master that was played by John Simm or Anthony Ainley.

So I honestly just don't know if I'll ever be able to accept The Doctor being female... It's not an issue of women in lead roles, hell, one of my childhood heroes was Captain Janeway in Star Trek- and in fairness, she faced a lot of the same baseless criticism that the 13th Doctor is facing now. For me, this hang up lies with the fact that The Doctor has a history, and that The Doctor is a somewhat singular character who has been well established with certain characteristics. The Doctor is someone who I have some base expectations of. I understand that he has historically changed wildly; but there have been a great many similarties and seemless flows between one Doctor and the next. I don't know that those flows can continue, as I expect them to, beyond this barrier.

Can I come to enjoy and admire this Doctor as an independant character with her own strengths and weaknesses? Absolutely: she could be a tremendous and enjoyable figure. But can I come to accept this Doctor as the same Doctor that I loved as Patrick Throughton, Sylvester McCoy or Christopher Eccleston? I don't know that I can. For the first time: I don't know that I can.

If that's a mysogynistic, sexist, stone aged view; I'm sorry. Sincerely; I don't like to be that way. But this is how I really feel about it.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1