The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Start from the 2005 revival, then when you've caught up move backwards into the previous Doctors

Agreed

From 2005 onwards, it builds on a continuity, without having to have seen anything prior.

With the old 60s/70s/80s Who, there really isn't an ongoing arc, outside of each 4/6 part story, so with those you can just dip in and out as you want.

I sometimes wonder if going back and watching the old series will be boring for people who've only seen the new series. I grew up on Doctor Who, and have seen most of the episodes that still exist--yes, I'm an obsessive nerd ;) --but I also was exposed to it early on, so I might be more forgiving. It's a different storytelling pace, for sure, but then again that's the case with TV in general. I think there are some absolutely classic serials that people will enjoy, regardless. But also the series ran for 26 seasons in its first incarnation, and there are definite stinkers during those years. Like Rush albums I usually find something I like in them, but I realize this won't be the case for everyone.

Exactly. I think the slower pace of the old show could turn people off, but that's what TV was like back then.

I, too, grew up with it from a young age, and I can also find something to like in each story. But there are definitely some stories that would scare away a newcomer for life. You need a bit of a forgiving eye.

Sometimes with the new series I've felt the story was rushed to fit into a 45 minute episode, when I thought it would work much better in the old 4x25 or 6x25 format. :)

• Like 3

Start from the 2005 revival, then when you've caught up move backwards into the previous Doctors

Agreed

From 2005 onwards, it builds on a continuity, without having to have seen anything prior.

With the old 60s/70s/80s Who, there really isn't an ongoing arc, outside of each 4/6 part story, so with those you can just dip in and out as you want.

I sometimes wonder if going back and watching the old series will be boring for people who've only seen the new series. I grew up on Doctor Who, and have seen most of the episodes that still exist--yes, I'm an obsessive nerd ;) --but I also was exposed to it early on, so I might be more forgiving. It's a different storytelling pace, for sure, but then again that's the case with TV in general. I think there are some absolutely classic serials that people will enjoy, regardless. But also the series ran for 26 seasons in its first incarnation, and there are definite stinkers during those years. Like Rush albums I usually find something I like in them, but I realize this won't be the case for everyone.

Exactly. I think the slower pace of the old show could turn people off, but that's what TV was like back then.

I, too, grew up with it from a young age, and I can also find something to like in each story. But there are definitely some stories that would scare away a newcomer for life. You need a bit of a forgiving eye.

Sometimes with the new series I've felt the story was rushed to fit into a 45 minute episode, when I thought it would work much better in the old 4x25 or 6x25 format. :)

Yeah :yes: Another thing I miss about the old format is the feel of the old Episode 1. The first part could often be quite atmospheric or mysterious, and took time to set up the story and introduce the new characters for the story, or build the world.

Now, with a single 45 minute episode, the pre-title sequence has taken the place of what used to be the old 1st episode.

• Like 3

Agreed

Yeah :yes: Another thing I miss about the old format is the feel of the old Episode 1. The first part could often be quite atmospheric or mysterious, and took time to set up the story and introduce the new characters for the story, or build the world.

Now, with a single 45 minute episode, the pre-title sequence has taken the place of what used to be the old 1st episode.

Do you ever listen to the Big Finish Doctor Who audios? They're like radio plays on CD, with full casts, and licensed by the BBC. Anyway, it takes a bit of getting used to if you're not used to radio drama, but I really like them now. They're all old Doctors--Four through Eight last I checked--and are full casts, with many of the original companions cast as well. I guess the upside of audio-only is you can't tell how much older they are now, even if sometimes their voices give that away. :) Most are in 4x25 format (with a few Colin Bakers as 2x45 for era authenticity).

Here is their site if you're curious: http://www.bigfinish.com/

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

Do you ever listen to the Big Finish Doctor Who audios? They're like radio plays on CD, with full casts, and licensed by the BBC. Anyway, it takes a bit of getting used to if you're not used to radio drama, but I really like them now. They're all old Doctors--Four through Eight last I checked--and are full casts, with many of the original companions cast as well. I guess the upside of audio-only is you can't tell how much older they are now, even if sometimes their voices give that away. :) Most are in 4x25 format (with a few Colin Bakers as 2x45 for era authenticity).

Here is their site if you're curious: http://www.bigfinish.com/

Yeah, I've got quite a few from the Big Finish range, back when they put the price really cheap to download the first 50. McGann obviously benefited from the audio's, and I also think Colin Baker showed everyone what a great Doctor he is, when given good material to work with (I love 6 and Evelyn together).

I've also got most of the Jago & Litefoot boxsets, since I loved them so much in Talons of Weng Chiang. They're really good.

• Like 1

I've tried to sit down and watch the older series but I get bored five minutes into an episode.

I can see why some can't get into it but I MUCH prefer them over the later series over the last 10 years. I was brought up on the old gen so I guess that kinda helps :ph34r: :hail:

• Like 2

I've cruised through the 2005-onward series, and I loved it... now i'm going back and taking in some of the older arcs, I particularly like Doctors 1, 2 and 5. I really don't understand the fascination surrounding 4...

As far as the modern Doctors go, I like 9 and 12 a lot. Everyone seems to love 10, but he sort of rubbed me the wrong way. Over time he grew on me a bit, but I still like him the least of the modern group.

Oh, and Clara Oswald... :drool:

• Like 1

I've cruised through the 2005-onward series, and I loved it... now i'm going back and taking in some of the older arcs, I particularly like Doctors 1, 2 and 5. I really don't understand the fascination surrounding 4...

As far as the modern Doctors go, I like 9 and 12 a lot. Everyone seems to love 10, but he sort of rubbed me the wrong way. Over time he grew on me a bit, but I still like him the least of the modern group.

Oh, and Clara Oswald... :drool:

For me if I had to pull five (and that's tough!) they would have to rank as:

4th

5th

1st

3rd

6th

My fave companion is Sarah Jane Smith followed by Peri Brown :heart: :heart:

Be great to see how others here rank their Doctors and companions...need to fill out more for the collection soon as well :AlienSmiley:

I'd rank the modern Doctors

1. 12

1.5 War Doctor

2. 10

3. 9

4. 11

So far the last 4 Doctors have been really good. From what I know of the classic Doctors, it's a bit harder to rank them. I've only seen the classic stuff on Netflix

I'd rank the modern Doctors

1. 12

1.5 War Doctor

2. 10

3. 9

4. 11

So far the last 4 Doctors have been really good. From what I know of the classic Doctors, it's a bit harder to rank them. I've only seen the classic stuff on Netflix

My appreciation for the 5th during the last five years has made a virtual 180d since I watched them when much younger...he's vastly underrated imo. I haven't a clue for modern gen, but I know the majority here seem to still enjoy the show. It's all good.

• Like 1

What I'm most looking forward to is that most of the stories this year are going to be two parters.

With the exception of finales, there haven't been any two parters far ages.

Not excited at all really. Getting pretty sick of Clara by now. And Danny Pink last season? :facepalm:

Clara really has only been around for one whole season. In season 7 she was a plot device. In season 8 we actually had character development which made her a defined person. Doctor Who has always lacked in the character development department.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst

My two boys and I watched Doctor Who together today. They've never seen it before. My 10 year LOVED it. the youngest was just silent. Fun and retro. Loved it. Now on to MST 3000

Classic or NewWho?

Classic. It's on retroTV. Still great though.
  • Like 1

My two boys and I watched Doctor Who together today. They've never seen it before. My 10 year LOVED it. the youngest was just silent. Fun and retro. Loved it. Now on to MST 3000

Classic or NewWho?

Nice!

Classic or NewWho?

:ebert: Nice, which Doctor was it?
  • Like 1

Classic or NewWho?

Tom Baker

So fun to watch my oldest wrap his head around the show. As I watched it, I was reminded it was fountain of creativity on a shoestring budget...and good for the lads as well.

After that, an introduction to MST3000 happened. Another great show

• Like 1

Classic or NewWho?

Tom Baker

So fun to watch my oldest wrap his head around the show. As I watched it, I was reminded it was fountain of creativity on a shoestring budget...and good for the lads as well.

Absolutely! The creativity that went into getting the show made for the meagre budget is staggering. In fact, the show wouldn't have been as iconic if it had a huge budget from the start: the only reason the TARDIS is stuck as a Police Box is because the production team didn't have enough money to make any more props, so had to think of a reason why.
  • Like 1

Classic or NewWho?

Tom Baker

Absolutely! The creativity that went into getting the show made for the meagre budget is staggering. In fact, the show wouldn't have been as iconic if it had a huge budget from the start: the only reason the TARDIS is stuck as a Police Box is because the production team didn't have enough money to make any more props, so had to think of a reason why.

Exactly...and the acting is really tasty. In this age of animation, it's almost like eating comfort food when watching something like Dr. Who. It just feels good. My son was asking all kinds of questions about the character, his origin, why he's so smart. The fact that it's so low budget makes it even more fun IMO. Another component to laugh about, but still appreciate what it is. We watch it on RetroTV, along with Skippy. About the safest channel for the kids to watch
  • Like 1