The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

I thought Danny continued to be an idiot.

Clara: Prove to me you're you without saying you love me

Danny: I love you

Well, in Danny's defense, he just recently found out he's dead and then the woman he loves is trying to call him from the other side. Saying that his head isn't in the right place would be an understatement. I don't care for the character at all but i'm willing to cut him some slack given the situation.

I haven't posted too much about what's going on this season but overall I've liked most of the episodes. There's been a few of them that were flat but it's turned out to be a solid season. Capaldi has been very good as The Doctor so far and while some seem to have a problem with Clara, I've liked her in every episode. As for Danny, there's really nothing special about him, he's just there filling a role. It's like someone who was hired as an extra got put into the main cast.

Season finale already this week? It doesn't seem like this season has been going on long enough yet.

Well, Clara said something to him about wanting to be with him always, and that if she believed that he really was Danny, she'd find a way to be with him. So one way to look at it is that Danny was trying not to prove that it was him, so that Clara wouldn't follow him into the afterlife.

On the other hand, in the phone call, Clara told him that the phrase "I Love You" belonged only to him from now on, so it could have been a callback to their last conversation together, something that Clara was too full of grief to remember.

Two theories, but I like the first one

Well, Clara said something to him about wanting to be with him always, and that if she believed that he really was Danny, she'd find a way to be with him. So one way to look at it is that Danny was trying not to prove that it was him, so that Clara wouldn't follow him into the afterlife.

On the other hand, in the phone call, Clara told him that the phrase "I Love You" belonged only to him from now on, so it could have been a callback to their last conversation together, something that Clara was too full of grief to remember.

Two theories, but I like the first one

What I got out of that scene was that he did not want her... dead, basically. He wanted her to continue on and not be where he is so he forced her to turn the intercom thingy off. She said that if he said, "I love you" one more time then that was it and it would force her to abandon him and he made the self-conscious decision to do so. So, I don't know if it was so much that he was trying to have her believe it wasn't him. He wanted her to know it was him but that he was making the decision to have her not follow him.

And as J2112YYZ said, I cannot believe we're at the season finale already. This season has flown by.

• Like 1

Sure seems like they're leading up to Clara leaving. Wouldn't hurt my feelings any. I've never really cared for her. Though I think it was really sad what happened to Danny.

Well that was horrible. How was the first part so good and this one so bad? It's like they had 20 writers writing one episode and no one bothered to talk to another. Too many loose ends, too many things not addressed... too many questions. Why the hell did they need to make him the President exactly? Obviously we're going to be seeing Missy again. She was teleported.

I will say this, I absolutely love the woman who plays Missy. What a great actress! She nailed being, "bananas."

Leaving loose ends and not addressing things seems to be a Moffat trademark. There were loads of things in Matt's first series that didn't get answered until his last episode. I've decided just to go with it, since he seems to like playing the long game.

On the whole, not as good as the first part, but I liked more than I disliked. I still love everything Capaldi does, and he's a joy to watch. I loved Missy. I could really feel that she was the same guy that Roger Delgado played back in the 70's. I liked the return of Kate Stewart and Osgood (and the nods to the Brig)...and the killing of Osgood was a shocking way to show that it wasn't cosy and safe, and show that Missy is dangerous.

I also liked Cyber-Danny again, although the "Sir, yes sir" bit to the Doctor rubbed me the wrong way, just like it did in The Caretaker. I really hoped they'd eventually end up showing a bit of respect for each other...but I guess not.

I'm still guessing Clara will be in the Christmas episode (another Moffat Trademark seems to be wringing out companion farewells), since there's still the unresolved matter of Orson Pink's ancestry...but, like most people, I'm really ready for her to be gone now., and that's from someone who loved her last year with Matt. This year I thought she had a couple of good moments, and I thought she was great in Flatline, but most of the time she's been a drag.

Also, I'd like to see the return of a companion who actually 'travels' with the Doctor, rather than having the odd trip now and again between real life.

(whew...that was longer than I thought)

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

Well that was horrible. How was the first part so good and this one so bad? It's like they had 20 writers writing one episode and no one bothered to talk to another. Too many loose ends, too many things not addressed... too many questions. Why the hell did they need to make him the President exactly? Obviously we're going to be seeing Missy again. She was teleported.

I will say this, I absolutely love the woman who plays Missy. What a great actress! She nailed being, "bananas."

Do you remember her from The Green Wing (a medical drama, some years back)? She dressed up as a squirrel.

Leaving loose ends and not addressing things seems to be a Moffat trademark. There were loads of things in Matt's first series that didn't get answered until his last episode. I've decided just to go with it, since he seems to like playing the long game.

On the whole, not as good as the first part, but I liked more than I disliked. I still love everything Capaldi does, and he's a joy to watch. I loved Missy. I could really feel that she was the same guy that Roger Delgado played back in the 70's. I liked the return of Kate Stewart and Osgood (and the nods to the Brig)...and the killing of Osgood was a shocking way to show that it wasn't cosy and safe, and show that Missy is dangerous.

I also liked Cyber-Danny again, although the "Sir, yes sir" bit to the Doctor rubbed me the wrong way, just like it did in The Caretaker. I really hoped they'd eventually end up showing a bit of respect for each other...but I guess not.

I'm still guessing Clara will be in the Christmas episode (another Moffat Trademark seems to be wringing out companion farewells), since there's still the unresolved matter of Orson Pink's ancestry...but, like most people, I'm really ready for her to be gone now., and that's from someone who loved her last year with Matt. This year I thought she had a couple of good moments, and I thought she was great in Flatline, but most of the time she's been a drag.

Also, I'd like to see the return of a companion who actually 'travels' with the Doctor, rather than having the odd trip now and again between real life.

(whew...that was longer than I thought)

I've never actually taken to Clara. I thought she was irritating. Or Danny. He didn't really bring anything to the table. Yet, having said that, it was heartbreaking for him, when he realized he was dead and he ended up as Cyber-Danny.

I must say, that was a lovely tribute to Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart.

• Like 1

I heard series 9 may bring about a new companion...

The latest I keep hearing is that Clara will be sticking around for the first half of series 9. If true, I hope they have a crossover period, and introduce the new one at the start, and have both around.

I wouldn't really have minded her sticking around, if it weren't for the fact that she's already had a farewell scene (more than one in fact)...but then so did Amy and Rory in the God Complex, and they stuck around too...I smell a theme.

BBC America is doing as five-day marathon. I watch this channel all the time and I've never taken the time to get into this show. Until now. :D

Welcome to the club :cheers:

Since no one's mentioned to Christmas episode yet, I'll go first. I enjoyed it. Some nice scares, some funny moments. Although (and I imagine I'm not the only one thinking this) I would have loved it if Clara being old would have been the real ending. Setting aside any love/hate feelings for the character, or the hope for a new companion...I think that would have been a great way to end a companion journey.

Also, it was great to see 2nd Doctor Patrick Troughton's son Michael in the episode (his other son, David, had already appeared in Midnight with Tennant, as well as a few from the 60's and 70's)

• Like 1

It was Tom Baker's 81st birthday yesterday

Happy Birthday Tom :cheers: Would you like a Jelly Baby?

Edited by Your_Lion

Eccleston rarely discusses his time on the show, so it was a nice surprise to hear this on the radio yesterday:

• Like 1

I really want to get into Doctor Who, but I'm not sure where to start.

The completionist in me would like to start with the black and white original series, but on other other hand, I'd like to get into something a little more modern and relatable.

Based on the snippets and hearsay I've been exposed to, I'm fairly certain that I'll enjoy the show; just not sure how to tackle the leviathan that is the complete catalog.

Start from the 2005 revival, then when you've caught up move backwards into the previous Doctors

Agreed

From 2005 onwards, it builds on a continuity, without having to have seen anything prior.

With the old 60s/70s/80s Who, there really isn't an ongoing arc, outside of each 4/6 part story, so with those you can just dip in and out as you want.

• Like 1

I started with the 2005 reboot and that's how I became a fan. I did attempt to try and go back and watch older episodes but the task was so monumental that I never did get through much of it. The most I saw of was the fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) but not much else. I have seen something from every Doctor but it was only like one story each. Edited by J2112YYZ

Start from the 2005 revival, then when you've caught up move backwards into the previous Doctors

Agreed

From 2005 onwards, it builds on a continuity, without having to have seen anything prior.

With the old 60s/70s/80s Who, there really isn't an ongoing arc, outside of each 4/6 part story, so with those you can just dip in and out as you want.

I sometimes wonder if going back and watching the old series will be boring for people who've only seen the new series. I grew up on Doctor Who, and have seen most of the episodes that still exist--yes, I'm an obsessive nerd ;) --but I also was exposed to it early on, so I might be more forgiving. It's a different storytelling pace, for sure, but then again that's the case with TV in general. I think there are some absolutely classic serials that people will enjoy, regardless. But also the series ran for 26 seasons in its first incarnation, and there are definite stinkers during those years. Like Rush albums I usually find something I like in them, but I realize this won't be the case for everyone.

• Like 2

Agreed

I sometimes wonder if going back and watching the old series will be boring for people who've only seen the new series. I grew up on Doctor Who, and have seen most of the episodes that still exist--yes, I'm an obsessive nerd ;) --but I also was exposed to it early on, so I might be more forgiving. It's a different storytelling pace, for sure, but then again that's the case with TV in general. I think there are some absolutely classic serials that people will enjoy, regardless. But also the series ran for 26 seasons in its first incarnation, and there are definite stinkers during those years. Like Rush albums I usually find something I like in them, but I realize this won't be the case for everyone.

Exactly. I think the slower pace of the old show could turn people off, but that's what TV was like back then.

I, too, grew up with it from a young age, and I can also find something to like in each story. But there are definitely some stories that would scare away a newcomer for life. You need a bit of a forgiving eye.

• Like 2