The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Tomorrow night. It's finally here.

Yep. It's been a long wait, but the new Doctor is here tomorrow :yay:

I hope he's going to be good. The preview looks promising. I couldn't stand to watch the show when Matt Smith was on there. Looking forward to getting back into it.

Just texted my mum (as she's been watching since David Tennant) and she enjoyed it, especially the bit with Matt Smith!
  • Like 1

I'm a Matt Smith fan, but tonight's episode was a lot better than I expected; a good story line with enough time (not like the last series where they had to cram every storyline into 45 minutes). Also it was moving to see the new Doctor's identity crisis, and Clara's difficulty accepting him being older and different.
  • Like 2

I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at first because he was acting so bizarre but once the storyline kicked in it got very good.
  • Like 2

Loved it.

The scene in the alley with the tramp was great. Interesting that the Doctor thought he recognises his new face, and questions where the faces come from. I guess there'll be some explanation of why he looks like the previous people Capaldi has played (in Fires of Pompeii and Torchwood)

And the tramp was played by Elisabeth Sladen's husband, which was a nice touch.

Looking forward to seeing more from Capaldi, and getting to know his Doctor (now that the post-regeneration madness is out of the way)...also, it's great that we have a full stretch of episodes to look forward to (at least by British standards ;) )....it's been a while since we've had more than 7 or 8 episodes in a row.

• Like 3

Well, that, was, fantastic! From appearance alone, it took me a while to get used to seeing a much older and almost frail looking Doctor. His mannerisms took a bit to understand but by the end, you could see he was starting to get used to his new body. I LOVED the ending! I absolutely loved that they snuck one last Matt Smith bit in there, helping Clara to understand that the Doctor is the same, but has a new appearance that she (and the audience) must accept.

Plus, we got to see the amazing Paternoster Gang! Strax is fast becoming a favorite for me. Nice little lip locking moment between Madame Vastra and her cute wife.

• Like 1

Capaldi has the glare of a British Clint Eastwood, I love it. He looked so furious at the end of the episode

He has wonderful, expressive eyes. And his eyebrows, which, didn't I catch him making fun of them in this first episode? I think I'm going to watch it again today to catch things I didn't last night.

I'm a Matt Smith fan, but tonight's episode was a lot better than I expected; a good story line with enough time (not like the last series where they had to cram every storyline into 45 minutes). Also it was moving to see the new Doctor's identity crisis, and Clara's difficulty accepting him being older and different.

It took me a while to warm up to Smith. I really liked him towards the end. Baker will always have a special place in my heart. Tennant was just down-right amazing but I think this new guy is going to give David a run for his money.

Just texted my mum (as she's been watching since David Tennant) and she enjoyed it, especially the bit with Matt Smith!

That was such a nice touch. Having him explain to Clara that the new him is scared and she must look after him.

Wow where were you people in 1970-1981 when I used to watch the real Doctors Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker??

HEY! Hey! Hey! I love Baker. That's when I started watching. I'm wondering though how the Doctor's popularity has changed in recent years. I'm guessing it skyrocketed when Tennant took over the role. Have you watched the recent Doctors ducky? What do you think of them?

I didn't like Peter Davison when he was the Doctor. One, because he replaced Baker and what a horrible place to be in! I think Baker is a big fan favorite. Two, he was young and kinda sorta cute but nothing like now! What a hottie he is now. I enjoy watching him walking fans through Doctor Who trivia/documentary shows. He does a great job.

• Like 1

Wow where were you people in 1970-1981 when I used to watch the real Doctors Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker??

I was born in 1979!! :tsk:

Though I have seen odd episodes of both Baker and Pertwee. I thought they were very good. :)

I wasn't born yet :LOL:

But the first Doctor Who I remember watching, at the age of 4, was a repeat of a Jon Pertwee story. The Green Death (or "The one with the Maggots" as it's commonly known)

I love all the Doctors, but Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker are my favourites.

• Like 1

I haven't seen so much of the new Doctor Who, what I have seen of David Tennant I've liked. He has the necessary air of dotty eccentricity. Matt Smith not so much. I think some of these doctors are a little too young looking though.

Peter Davidson when he took over as Doctor Who was best known over here as the bumbling young vet in All Creatures Great and Small. As the Doctor he was all wrong, he was too young, he looked more like one of the Doctor's assistants and the cricket thing didn't work, no way would the Doctor be obsessed with cricket. When Colin Baker took over he was hopeless, trying too hard to be zany and insane. Sylvester McCoy from the children's art show I used to watch called Vision On was too much like a quirky sidekick to be effective as the Doctor.

Definitely Tom Baker was the best followed by Pertwee. Believe it or not though in 1974 when Tom took over I really had a problem with it for a few episodes, that was the first regeneration I'd seen and i couldn't get used to the "new guy" at first. It didn't take long though for Tom to become "the" Doctor. Jon Pertwee meanwhile went on to become the living scarecrow called Worzel Gummidge on a children's TV show I used to watch as well.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/27/article-1216538-069A8F01000005DC-915_468x687.jpg

I wasn't born yet :LOL:

But the first Doctor Who I remember watching, at the age of 4, was a repeat of a Jon Pertwee story. The Green Death (or "The one with the Maggots" as it's commonly known)

I love all the Doctors, but Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker are my favourites.

Troughton was good, although I didn't see him until a bit later on.

What about this guy as the Doctor:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/31/article-1392660-004F224C00000258-651_634x484.jpg

I love the Cushing movies. They were staples of my childhood.

Hey someone was telling me the first episode of the new series was a bit weird, with lascivious lecherous lesbian lizards and the new Doctor is kind of harsh? :eh:

Well, the lesbian lizard is a handover from Matt Smith's tenure...but yes, Capaldi will certainly be a less pally and reassuring Doctor than what we've had recently. From what I've seen so far, he has touches of Tom, in that you can't quite predict how he'll react, as well as a dash of Hartnell's cantankerousness. But he also showed a bit of a vulnerable side at the end.