The Doctor Who thread.

• Please log in to reply
863 replies to this topic

#41 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

Another Dr. Who fan, here. I remember Peter Cushing as The Doctor in Dr. Who and the Daleks (yes, I am old, why do you ask?). Didn't see it again until our PBS station started running the Tom Baker series way back when. But then I lost touch again. Imagine my surprise and joy when I happened upon one of the Eccleston episodes a few years ago on BBC America (we'd just got that channel and me being the Anglophile I am, I had to check it out and got lucky). I watched on and off (the timeslot wasn't too convenient for me) and missed the switch from him to Tennant.

Eccleston revived The Doctor brilliantly but Tennant gave the role a wonderful alive-ness. You could really see in him both the sheer joy and the terrible sorrow that being a Time Lord entailed. Such depth! He is, IMO, the best Doctor ever.

Matt is.... good. He has horribly big shoes to fill and I don't envy him the challenge. But his Companion is terrific. I really like her. Can't wait to see the next season!

BTW, BBC America runs repeats at 5:00 PM EST (2:00 my time) every weekday. Then another one at 3:00 AM (midnight for West Coast). I'm catching up on ones I missed this way.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

Sponsored Post

#42 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 6 2010, 06:19 AM)
Another Dr. Who fan, here. I remember Peter Cushing as The Doctor in Dr. Who and the Daleks (yes, I am old, why do you ask?). Didn't see it again until our PBS station started running the Tom Baker series way back when. But then I lost touch again. Imagine my surprise and joy when I happened upon one of the Eccleston episodes a few years ago on BBC America (we'd just got that channel and me being the Anglophile I am, I had to check it out and got lucky). I watched on and off (the timeslot wasn't too convenient for me) and missed the switch from him to Tennant.

Eccleston revived The Doctor brilliantly but Tennant gave the role a wonderful alive-ness. You could really see in him both the sheer joy and the terrible sorrow that being a Time Lord entailed. Such depth! He is, IMO, the best Doctor ever.

Matt is.... good. He has horribly big shoes to fill and I don't envy him the challenge. But his Companion is terrific. I really like her. Can't wait to see the next season!

BTW, BBC America runs repeats at 5:00 PM EST (2:00 my time) every weekday. Then another one at 3:00 AM (midnight for West Coast). I'm catching up on ones I missed this way.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm not up on the new Doctors but I can see you are.  bekloppt.gif  I heard that lately, the sonic srewdriver is getting our heroes out of trouble a bit too often. Have you noticed that?  

#43 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 6 2010, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 6 2010, 06:19 AM)

BTW, BBC America runs repeats at 5:00 PM EST (2:00 my time) every weekday. Then another one at 3:00 AM (midnight for West Coast). I'm catching up on ones I missed this way.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm not up on the new Doctors but I can see you are.  bekloppt.gif  I heard that lately, the sonic srewdriver is getting our heroes out of trouble a bit too often. Have you noticed that?

Hmmmm..... no, not really. It's being used as a tool more often, but not necessarily as a "save the day" kind of thing. Stuff like: recalibrating things, opening doors (non-emergency), allowing communications... that sort. But, then again, I missed the last few shows of this past season.....

These are 2 books I picked up recently and can recommend:

Doctor Who: The Episode Guide by Mark Campbell has descriptions of episodes from William Hartnell (the 1st Doctor) to the last season before Matt took over (he's the 11th Doctor). Also audio, books, spin-offs, missing episodes. I found it quite useful.

Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who and the Women Who Love It edited by Lynne M. Thomas and Tara O'Shea. Essays by women who love The Doctor on all sorts of different aspects of the show. Very fun.

They also sell a copy of the "journal" that the Doctor kept when he was spending time as a human (Human Nature/The Family Of Blood). My daughter bought a copy in London last summer for her friend. So I don't think it's available in the States.  

#44 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 6 2010, 11:02 PM)

That's why I like the Peter Davison story 'The Visitation', where the alien destroys the sonic screwdriver, and it  stays destroyed until the Paul McGann movie.

#45 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

Just about done with the first season of the William Hartnell episodes.... not going to watch them all, just a key few from Each doctor until I get to the 4th Doctor and the episodes are a bit more quick paced and they don't meander too much.

#46 smbrown

smbrown

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:01 AM

You should check out the Dr Who stuff at http://www.supaswap.org/

#47 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 1 2010, 09:07 PM)
For those in the U.S. "Creature from the Pit" is coming out Sept. 7th and "Revenge of the Cybermen" will be out Nov 2nd.  common001.gif

Meglos, out on DVD, January 11th 2011.  popcorn.gif  

#48 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

I'm so close to nabbing the 'Key to Time' box now.  I have a voucher as well so its ridiculously tempting.  Think I'll blow it next week.  Hopefully it's still in there as its been a while unsure.gif    

#49 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 24 2010, 06:54 PM)
I'm so close to nabbing the 'Key to Time' box now.  I have a voucher as well so its ridiculously tempting.  Think I'll blow it next week.  Hopefully it's still in there as its been a while unsure.gif

You must have it!  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  I got it for $100. Great bargain.  trink39.gif  

#50 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:30 PM

I understand you can now pre-order "Seeds of Doom" in the UK. Lucky bastards.  trink39.gif  

#51 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 25 2010, 01:23 PM)
I'm so close to nabbing the 'Key to Time' box now.  I have a voucher as well so its ridiculously tempting.  Think I'll blow it next week.  Hopefully it's still in there as its been a while unsure.gif

You must have it!  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  I got it for $100. Great bargain.  trink39.gif

Yeah dude.  And its the delish fold-out version  drool1.gif  I thought the US has a different one?

#52 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 24 2010, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 25 2010, 01:23 PM)
I'm so close to nabbing the 'Key to Time' box now.  I have a voucher as well so its ridiculously tempting.  Think I'll blow it next week.  Hopefully it's still in there as its been a while unsure.gif

Yeah dude.  And its the delish fold-out version  drool1.gif  I thought the US has a different one?

I just have the six single episodes, like the ones you always buy, but they are all in a box. No fold outs.  trink39.gif  

#53 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 24 2010, 10:30 PM)
I understand you can now pre-order "Seeds of Doom" in the UK. Lucky bastards.  trink39.gif

March 8th 2011, "Seeds of Doom" will be mine!  drool1.gif  

#54 CMWriter

CMWriter

I am one to believe in magic

• Members
  • 3398 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, comics, science fiction, and this dumb band. ;)

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

Whovian here!!!
Wow, how did I never see this thread? I must be going mad. Or blind. Or both.

Kind of like with the other things I love (Rush, Star Trek, X-Files, REO Speedwagon, and a whole boatload of things that came before my time) I haven't necessarily been a "life-long fan". But I started watching Doctor Who.. I don't know; a few years back, and I fell in love with it! Of course, here in the US and having a lack of BBC, it's always a season behind.. But I really don't mind. I'll get caught up eventually. tongue.gif

Looooooved Eccleston, but Tennant will always be closest to my heart. I actually haven't seen more than a couple episodes with Matt Smith... and I gotta admit, I wasn't terribly impressed. But once it starts airing over here I'll probably warm up to him.

Is it my favourite sci-fi? Nah. But it's still something I'd watch over pretty much everything else on TV these days (Fringe and a couple other shows excepted). It's entertaining and generally I've been impressed. So yes, Doctor Who for the win! May it live long and prosper have many more years. (:

#55 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 22 2010, 11:07 PM)

I bumped it up tonight. It was buried in the back pages.  bekloppt.gif  Btw, Star Trek?  1022.gif  

#56 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 81333 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

I love Doctor Who, especially David Tennant...  wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif  

#57 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Nov 23 2010, 05:22 PM)

I bumped it up tonight. It was buried in the back pages.  bekloppt.gif  Btw, Star Trek?  1022.gif

Must work on the bumps yes.gif  Got some new product to tell about soon as well  smile.gif  

#58 CMWriter

CMWriter

I am one to believe in magic

• Members
  • 3398 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, comics, science fiction, and this dumb band. ;)

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Nov 22 2010, 10:22 PM)

Ah, well wonderful! I might have to scavenge the back pages more often, hehe. Thanks, in any case, for bumping it up.

And yes!! Major Trekkie right here. (See, I gotta thank my dad for all this. He's the one who's gotten me into everything... Well, except for a few things which I'll blame on my mother. tongue.gif) My favourite series is Deep Space Nine, except no one really knows that series at all so it makes me quite sad. ;;

Thankfully, though, there seem to be more Doctor Who fans about that are around my age.. So there's hope for this generation yet LOL.

#59 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Nov 23 2010, 04:00 AM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 24 2010, 10:30 PM)
I understand you can now pre-order "Seeds of Doom" in the UK. Lucky bastards.  trink39.gif

March 8th 2011, "Seeds of Doom" will be mine!  drool1.gif

Just got "Seeds of Doom" at the weekend. Fantastic story.
Very creepy and atmospheric, and an ice cold bad guy in Harrison Chase.
Tom Baker's a little more at his serious side, but he's still great, as always.

#60 Jaye

Jaye

Geddytown Dreamer

• Members *
  • 16425 posts
  • Interests:Music, art, computers, dragons + mythology, cycling, reading, nature

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 23 2010, 12:47 PM)
And yes!! Major Trekkie right here. (See, I gotta thank my dad for all this. He's the one who's gotten me into everything... Well, except for a few things which I'll blame on my mother. tongue.gif) My favourite series is Deep Space Nine, except no one really knows that series at all so it makes me quite sad. ;;

I love DS9! It's my fave Trek too. biggrin.gif

But Babylon 5's better than Trek... ph34r.gif  bolt.gif

Sorry, off topic. I haven't seen much Doctor Who outside the Eccelston and Tennant series' yet, unfortunately...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users