The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 2 2010, 06:22 PM)
Don't know Moorcock, (maybe I should be happy about that) laugh.gif but you are correct. It was more about the story than special effects. I'm pretty sure I saw strings connected to a model spaceship on one of the episodes. laugh.gif

Yeah, he got the short end of the stick with his last name...

But, he's a very well known Fantasy/Sci-Fi author born in Britain and has written the series called "The Eternal Champion" which comprises of almost 100 books. Some of the characters are Hawkmoon, Erekose, Von Beck, Jerry Cornelius and his most famous character is Elric.

http://www.multiverse.org

What I find interesting is that he retired a couple of years back and then the BBC commissioned him to write about the Dr.

May have to hit up the library or used book store to see if I can it.

US born and raised. Been watching Dr Who since I was a kid (35 now). My brother got me into it. Tom Baker was the only doctor they showed in the US for a long time. We never even knew there were three before him. I remember the first time they frist started showing the original three doctors in the US. Good times.

After the series died with Silvester McCoy, they made the US made movie (horrible). So great to see the return. Especially the David Tennant stuff. He was excellent. Might be my favorite now (I did like Peter Davison, but could never figure out why). Haven't seen the new guy yet since they only show them og BBC America here and my cable company dosen't have it. Hopefully the DVD will be out soon.

Great to see so many who fans on TRF also.

Keep watching, listening, etc.

Btw: not all Dr. who fans have an attitude about being fans as mentioned earlier in this post (at least those I know). I know some fans that won't even admit they watch.

Myself: like the show a lot, but definitely don't look down on those that don't. To each his own. And i'll keep watching (and getting laughed at for it) until they stop making them.

I remember when I was a kid, Doctor Who would come on at 11pm on Sundays (right after Monty Python and Dave Allen at Large) and I found myself recording the show, along with the above mentioned, on tapes (pre-VHS time) and listening to them later over and over again. Staying up 'till 1am on a school night really paid off. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Edited by blackhawkrush

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 2 2010, 03:13 AM)
At last, I own "Creature from the Pit." common001.gif Tom Baker is not doing the commentary, eh.gif but Lalla Ward is. We can expect some cheap shots at Tom. angry.gif

I think they should trick them both into doing a commentary together...that should be fun biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Oct 2 2010, 06:09 AM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 2 2010, 03:13 AM)
At last, I own "Creature from the Pit."  common001.gif  Tom Baker is not doing the commentary,  eh.gif  but Lalla Ward is. We can expect some cheap shots at Tom.  angry.gif

I think they should trick them both into doing a commentary together...that should be fun biggrin.gif

That would be pay-per-view only. laugh.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 2 2010, 02:13 PM)
At last, I own "Creature from the Pit."  common001.gif 

What did you think of the story?

I recently nabbed used copies of 'Leisure Hive' and 'Deadly Assassin'. Not the most popular of adventures but into the collection they must go, hi-ho, hi-ho. 653.gif

Another Dr. Who fan, here. I remember Peter Cushing as The Doctor in Dr. Who and the Daleks (yes, I am old, why do you ask?). Didn't see it again until our PBS station started running the Tom Baker series way back when. But then I lost touch again. Imagine my surprise and joy when I happened upon one of the Eccleston episodes a few years ago on BBC America (we'd just got that channel and me being the Anglophile I am, I had to check it out and got lucky). I watched on and off (the timeslot wasn't too convenient for me) and missed the switch from him to Tennant.

Eccleston revived The Doctor brilliantly but Tennant gave the role a wonderful alive-ness. You could really see in him both the sheer joy and the terrible sorrow that being a Time Lord entailed. Such depth! He is, IMO, the best Doctor ever.

Matt is.... good. He has horribly big shoes to fill and I don't envy him the challenge. But his Companion is terrific. I really like her. Can't wait to see the next season!

BTW, BBC America runs repeats at 5:00 PM EST (2:00 my time) every weekday. Then another one at 3:00 AM (midnight for West Coast). I'm catching up on ones I missed this way. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 6 2010, 06:19 AM)
Another Dr. Who fan, here. I remember Peter Cushing as The Doctor in Dr. Who and the Daleks (yes, I am old, why do you ask?). Didn't see it again until our PBS station started running the Tom Baker series way back when. But then I lost touch again. Imagine my surprise and joy when I happened upon one of the Eccleston episodes a few years ago on BBC America (we'd just got that channel and me being the Anglophile I am, I had to check it out and got lucky). I watched on and off (the timeslot wasn't too convenient for me) and missed the switch from him to Tennant.

Eccleston revived The Doctor brilliantly but Tennant gave the role a wonderful alive-ness. You could really see in him both the sheer joy and the terrible sorrow that being a Time Lord entailed. Such depth! He is, IMO, the best Doctor ever.

Matt is.... good. He has horribly big shoes to fill and I don't envy him the challenge. But his Companion is terrific. I really like her. Can't wait to see the next season!

BTW, BBC America runs repeats at 5:00 PM EST (2:00 my time) every weekday. Then another one at 3:00 AM (midnight for West Coast). I'm catching up on ones I missed this way. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm not up on the new Doctors but I can see you are. bekloppt.gif I heard that lately, the sonic srewdriver is getting our heroes out of trouble a bit too often. Have you noticed that?

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 6 2010, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 6 2010, 06:19 AM)

BTW, BBC America runs repeats at 5:00 PM EST (2:00 my time) every weekday. Then another one at 3:00 AM (midnight for West Coast). I'm catching up on ones I missed this way.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm not up on the new Doctors but I can see you are. bekloppt.gif I heard that lately, the sonic srewdriver is getting our heroes out of trouble a bit too often. Have you noticed that?

Hmmmm..... no, not really. It's being used as a tool more often, but not necessarily as a "save the day" kind of thing. Stuff like: recalibrating things, opening doors (non-emergency), allowing communications... that sort. But, then again, I missed the last few shows of this past season.....

These are 2 books I picked up recently and can recommend:

Doctor Who: The Episode Guide by Mark Campbell has descriptions of episodes from William Hartnell (the 1st Doctor) to the last season before Matt took over (he's the 11th Doctor). Also audio, books, spin-offs, missing episodes. I found it quite useful.

Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who and the Women Who Love It edited by Lynne M. Thomas and Tara O'Shea. Essays by women who love The Doctor on all sorts of different aspects of the show. Very fun.

They also sell a copy of the "journal" that the Doctor kept when he was spending time as a human (Human Nature/The Family Of Blood). My daughter bought a copy in London last summer for her friend. So I don't think it's available in the States.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 6 2010, 11:02 PM)

That's why I like the Peter Davison story 'The Visitation', where the alien destroys the sonic screwdriver, and it stays destroyed until the Paul McGann movie.

Just about done with the first season of the William Hartnell episodes.... not going to watch them all, just a key few from Each doctor until I get to the 4th Doctor and the episodes are a bit more quick paced and they don't meander too much.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 1 2010, 09:07 PM)
For those in the U.S. "Creature from the Pit" is coming out Sept. 7th and "Revenge of the Cybermen" will be out Nov 2nd. common001.gif

Meglos, out on DVD, January 11th 2011. popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 24 2010, 06:54 PM)
I'm so close to nabbing the 'Key to Time' box now. I have a voucher as well so its ridiculously tempting. Think I'll blow it next week. Hopefully it's still in there as its been a while unsure.gif

You must have it! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I got it for $100. Great bargain. trink39.gif