• Please log in to reply
863 replies to this topic

#21 FoxxiStarr

FoxxiStarr

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Aug 20 2010, 06:43 PM)
I just started watching Doctor Who this year, I started with Christopher Eccleston in 2005 and just finished the new season with Matt Smith. I liked Eccleston, but I really loved David Tennant. He's so emotive, without being annoying. (IMO) I found him to be one of the most endearing characters I've seen on tv in a long time. I liked Matt Smith, but I can't help but miss Tennant.
Does anyone here like the spin-off, Torchwood?

I'm a Torchwood addict!!! Adore that programme - so clever. John Barrowman is brilliant. SO glad to hear its back again next year and going Stateside too! applaudit.gif  

Sponsored Post

#22 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

For those in the U.S. "Creature from the Pit" is coming out Sept. 7th and "Revenge of the Cybermen" will be out Nov 2nd.  common001.gif  

#23 BeOhBe Bob

BeOhBe Bob

BOBNESS

• Members *
  • 12703 posts
  • Interests:various forms of music, football, baseball, internet, and reading

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 13 2010, 12:39 AM)
I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and he will always remain as my favorite. I believe, I am not alone in those sentiments. The 41 episodes he did were exceptional. 40, if you decide not to count "Shada." I look forward to each story coming out on DVD.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

goodpost.gif  

#24 ForceTen

ForceTen

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1502 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Can't say I'm a Dr. Who fan.  But, I remember watching Tom Baker play the Dr back in the 80's when I'd come home from school.  Was okay.  But, could never get past the special effect compared to Star Wars, etc. even though I knew it was supposed to be more about the story.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read Michael Moorcock's books of Dr. Who?  I'm a huge fan of Moorcock's writings so curious about other's thoughts on it.  

#25 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Sep 2 2010, 04:00 PM)
Can't say I'm a Dr. Who fan.  But, I remember watching Tom Baker play the Dr back in the 80's when I'd come home from school.  Was okay.  But, could never get past the special effect compared to Star Wars, etc. even though I knew it was supposed to be more about the story.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read Michael Moorcock's books of Dr. Who?  I'm a huge fan of Moorcock's writings so curious about other's thoughts on it.

Don't know Moorcock, (maybe I should be happy about that)  laugh.gif  but you are correct. It was more about the story than special effects. I'm pretty sure I saw strings connected to a model spaceship on one of the episodes.  laugh.gif  

#26 ForceTen

ForceTen

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1502 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 2 2010, 06:22 PM)
Don't know Moorcock, (maybe I should be happy about that)  laugh.gif  but you are correct. It was more about the story than special effects. I'm pretty sure I saw strings connected to a model spaceship on one of the episodes.  laugh.gif

Yeah, he got the short end of the stick with his last name...  

But, he's a very well known Fantasy/Sci-Fi author born in Britain and has written the series called "The Eternal Champion" which comprises of almost 100 books.  Some of the characters are Hawkmoon, Erekose, Von Beck, Jerry Cornelius and his most famous character is Elric.

http://www.multiverse.org

What I find interesting is that he retired a couple of years back and then the BBC commissioned him to write about the Dr.

May have to hit up the library or used book store to see if I can it.  

#27 NaturalScientist75

NaturalScientist75

The Seeker

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Music, Zoology (especially raptors), astronomy, teaching, especially chemistry and math, nature, geology, meteorology, halloween, star wars (original), ...

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

US born and raised.  Been watching Dr Who since I was a kid (35 now).  My brother got me into it.  Tom Baker was the only doctor they showed in the US for a long time.  We never even knew there were three before him.  I remember the first time they frist started showing the original three doctors in the US.  Good times.

After the series died with Silvester McCoy, they made the US made movie (horrible).  So great to see the return.  Especially the David Tennant stuff.  He was excellent.  Might be my favorite now (I did like Peter Davison, but could never figure out why).  Haven't seen the new guy yet since they only show them og BBC America here and my cable company dosen't have it.  Hopefully the DVD will be out soon.

Great to see so many who fans on TRF also.

Keep watching, listening, etc.

Btw: not all Dr. who fans have an attitude about being fans as mentioned earlier in this post (at least those I know).  I know some fans that won't even admit they watch.

Myself:  like the show a lot, but definitely don't look down on those that don't.  To each his own.  And i'll keep watching (and getting laughed at for it) until they stop making them.

#28 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

I remember when I was a kid, Doctor Who would come on at 11pm on Sundays (right after Monty Python and Dave Allen at Large) and I found myself recording the show, along with the above mentioned, on tapes (pre-VHS time) and listening to them later over and over again. Staying up 'till 1am on a school night really paid off.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by blackhawkrush, 09 September 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#29 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

Tried to buy "Creature from the Pit" today (out Sept. 7th) None of the Best Buys in my area had it yet.  eyesre4.gif  

#30 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

At last, I own "Creature from the Pit."  common001.gif  Tom Baker is not doing the commentary,  eh.gif  but Lalla Ward is. We can expect some cheap shots at Tom.  angry.gif  

#31 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 2 2010, 03:13 AM)
At last, I own "Creature from the Pit."  common001.gif  Tom Baker is not doing the commentary,  eh.gif  but Lalla Ward is. We can expect some cheap shots at Tom.  angry.gif

I think they should trick them both into doing a commentary together...that should be fun biggrin.gif  

#32 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Oct 2 2010, 06:09 AM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 2 2010, 03:13 AM)
At last, I own "Creature from the Pit."  common001.gif  Tom Baker is not doing the commentary,  eh.gif  but Lalla Ward is. We can expect some cheap shots at Tom.  angry.gif

I think they should trick them both into doing a commentary together...that should be fun biggrin.gif

That would be pay-per-view only.  laugh.gif  

#33 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 2 2010, 02:13 PM)
At last, I own "Creature from the Pit."  common001.gif 

What did you think of the story?

I recently nabbed used copies of 'Leisure Hive' and 'Deadly Assassin'.  Not the most popular of adventures but into the collection they must go, hi-ho, hi-ho.  653.gif

#34 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 5 2010, 10:20 AM)

I recently nabbed used copies of 'Leisure Hive' and 'Deadly Assassin'.  Not the most popular of adventures but into the collection they must go, hi-ho, hi-ho.  653.gif

Actually, 'Deadly Assassin'  is one of the popular adventures. Last year it came in the top 20 in the Doctor Who Magazine's Mighty 200 poll.

I especially like episode 3, with the Doctor being hunted in the matrix.

#35 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Oct 5 2010, 06:09 AM)

Actually, 'Deadly Assassin'  is one of the popular adventures. Last year it came in the top 20 in the Doctor Who Magazine's Mighty 200 poll.

"Deadly Assasin" is indeed a classic and "Leisure Hive" is still a Tom Baker story so I guess you gotta love it.  laugh.gif The changing of the guard in production around that time, has not served the show well. I remember, I really had to get used to the new music. They tried to go modern, I guess. "Creature" is definitely a must, though.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

#36 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Oct 6 2010, 12:09 AM)

It's one I never caught up with and from what I've read it sounded good.  But most reviews and ratings have always snubbed it so that's all I can say.

#37 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 5 2010, 06:43 AM)

It's one I never caught up with and from what I've read it sounded good.  But most reviews and ratings have always snubbed it so that's all I can say.

Do you have "State of Decay?" My favorite Tom Baker story.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

#38 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 6 2010, 11:51 AM)

Do you have "State of Decay?" My favorite Tom Baker story.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hmmmm, which season and assistant/s?  I've seen so much when young and through the 90s nabbed quite a few on VHS but only recently filling in the blanks with DVDs, then will eventually double up the tapes  trink38.gif  

#39 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23383 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 5 2010, 07:29 PM)

Hmmmm, which season and assistant/s?  I've seen so much when young and through the 90s nabbed quite a few on VHS but only recently filling in the blanks with DVDs, then will eventually double up the tapes  trink38.gif

It's the one with vampires, when our heroes are trapped in E-space. Romana 2 and Adrick are with the Doctor. Everything about that story is just perfect.  trink39.gif  

#40 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Oct 6 2010, 03:56 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 5 2010, 07:29 PM)

It's the one with vampires, when our heroes are trapped in E-space. Romana 2 and Adrick are with the Doctor. Everything about that story is just perfect.  trink39.gif

That's the story where Tom and Lalla had a big falling out, and you can tell in some of the shots, when they absolutely refuse to look at each other laugh.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users