• Please log in to reply
863 replies to this topic

#1 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

Okay, let me say first that I am American, and do not know many other Americans who watch this show.....but it is fantastic.  I just started watching this almost 50 year old series about a month ago.... and I am loving it..  

I decided to watch the newer episodes (since the 2005 revival) before going back to the Old episodes, and this series is great.  Right now I am watching David Tennant's final episode before his regeneration....  

I know this to you Brits is like religion over there, but not widely talked about here in the States, that should change......  

user posted image

Sponsored Post

#2 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Actually, much as I love SF, I'm not that much of a Dr Who fan.  I'll watch it if its on but won't go out of my way to do so.

I think part of the problem comes with the attitude of Who fans.  A  lot of the time, I've seen acting along the lines of "we're fans of the longest running SF series so we WILL have your unreserved respect and adoration" before getting huffy when you mention the wobbly sets and RADA acting skills of the older episodes.  Similarly, they tend to look down their noses at you if you don't immediately prostrate yourself when the name Russel T Davies is mention. (I'm not say this all Who fans but I've certainly encountered a lot of like this).

however, I will say there is one thing makes Dr Who worth watching:

user posted image
karen-gillan-police-uniform by Slaine2112, on Flickr

#3 MusicHead

MusicHead

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Interests:God, writing, family, football, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

I really enjoyed watching Karen Gillan as Amy Pond keeping the Doctor honest.  The whole "fractured-wall" angle was beautifully tied up.  Can't wait to see where Matt Smith will take Amy and Rory next season.  cool.gif  

#4 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

Series 5 was brilliant. Loved every minute of it. It helped that almost every aspect of it was completely different to the RTD era, which is how it should be. Cannot wait to find out about the silence and the voice next year.

#5 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23587 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and he will always remain as my favorite. I believe, I am not alone in those sentiments. The 41 episodes he did were exceptional. 40, if you decide not to count "Shada." I look forward to each story coming out on DVD.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

#6 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

Any other fans from the U.S..

Of what I've seen, I've enjoyed all three doctors of the new series....... Watching the Matt Smith episodes now..... I do miss David Tennant....  his speech at the end of the "Waters of Mars" episode was f***ing fantastic...

"The Laws of Time are mine, AND THEY WILL OBEY ME!"

#7 udanax

udanax

Net Girl

• Members *
  • 1793 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

"It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool."

"Always bring a banana to a party."

I love Doctor Who. It's my guilty pleasure. I caught some good cosplayers at Comic Con and I will post pics of them soon.

#8 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 13 2010, 04:39 PM)
I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and he will always remain as my favorite. I believe, I am not alone in those sentiments. The 41 episodes he did were exceptional. 40, if you decide not to count "Shada." I look forward to each story coming out on DVD.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Couldn't agree more.  Just snagged Destiny of Daleks as it happens  trink39.gif  

#9 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 13 2010, 10:32 AM)
I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and he will always remain as my favorite. I believe, I am not alone in those sentiments. The 41 episodes he did were exceptional. 40, if you decide not to count "Shada." I look forward to each story coming out on DVD.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Actually, for me, I grew up with Jon Pertwee.

Then again, I loved the overlap between the two - mainly because of Liz Sladen

#10 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 10068 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Pertwee and Tom Baker were the best....haven't really had a lot of time for it since Baker left.

#11 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 14 2010, 04:21 AM)

She's my fave companion I'd have to say.  The others can really get on your nerves but she's not so bad.  JP had come classic adventures for sure.  Like Fridgey says after TB I kinda drifted off from it.  The new adventures I have no time for whatsoever.  I guess I'm too old, I dunno  confused13.gif  

#12 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23587 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 13 2010, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 14 2010, 04:21 AM)

She's my fave companion I'd have to say.  The others can really get on your nerves but she's not so bad.  JP had come classic adventures for sure.  Like Fridgey says after TB I kinda drifted off from it.  The new adventures I have no time for whatsoever.  I guess I'm too old, I dunno  confused13.gif

After Tom Baker left the show, things started going down hill a bit. The next actors did not stay on nearly as long as Tom did untill the whole program halted. I was never able to get into the new stuff. Btw, for all Tom Baker fans, there is a relatively new site set up, (www.Tom-Baker.co.uk ) where you can even ask Tom questions about anything at all.  applaudit.gif  It's really nice of him to do this for all who enjoy his work.  trink39.gif  

#13 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Finished the Series 5 Finale........ eventually go back and watch the old episodes.  

#14 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17346 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

I grew up with Baker and a little bit of the Davison stuff.  I agree with those who say Baker is THE quintessential Doctor... but it's neat how they don't stick to one "type" when they're re-casting the role as a different regeneration. Davison was very different than Baker, and subsequent Doctors are very different from earlier ones.  

Companions?  How about Leela, with her skimpy and primitive leather outfits?  

#15 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 14 2010, 02:32 AM)
I grew up with Baker and a little bit of the Davison stuff.  I agree with those who say Baker is THE quintessential Doctor... but it's neat how they don't stick to one "type" when they're re-casting the role as a different regeneration. Davison was very different than Baker, and subsequent Doctors are very different from earlier ones.  

Companions?  How about Leela, with her skimpy and primitive leather outfits?

Yes, Louise Jameson was incredibly sexy.  As was Katy Manning as jo Grant, Freema Agyeman as Martha and Lalla Ward as Romana (2) - especially when she wore the schoolgirl uniform drool1.gif

With regard to Tom Baker, I read his autobiography last year (well worth it).  Apparently, when he met children and they were too shy to ask for his autograph, he would ask them for theirs first and swap the two.  Apparently, while he was married to Lalla Ward, she was looking for something in their house and found a drawer filled with little slips of paper with children's signatures on them.  Apparently, Baker kept every single one of them.

The guy is more than a great actor - he's an institution.

#16 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23587 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 14 2010, 09:41 AM)
Louise Jameson was incredibly sexy.  As was Katy Manning as jo Grant, Freema Agyeman as Martha and Lalla Ward as Romana (2) - especially when she wore the schoolgirl uniform drool1.gif

I'll take Mary Tamm, (Romana 1) then.  common001.gif  

#17 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

I need to get caught up on the old episodes......  Watched a couple of the William Hartnell episodes........ they kind of drag on as opposed to getting to the point.....

Are later episodes a bit more quick paced?  

#18 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 23587 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 17 2010, 07:22 PM)
I need to get caught up on the old episodes......  Watched a couple of the William Hartnell episodes........ they kind of drag on as opposed to getting to the point.....

Are later episodes a bit more quick paced?

I think that can be said about the first three Doctors. Even Jon Pertwee seemed to have long conversations with the Master which slowed things down. It was only when Tom Baker took over, with his famous one liners, did the show picked up the pace. Still, the old stuff is worth watching.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

#19 FoxxiStarr

FoxxiStarr

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

I grew up watching John Pertwee and Tom Baker as a wee girl. Once Tom Baker left I lost track of it until it was revived. Was never keen On Chris Ecclestone but absolutely loved David Tennant. He brought a real energy and joy back to the role.

Sorry - not impressed with Matt Smith new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif  

#20 VampireBiscuits

VampireBiscuits

The Seeker

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:TV: Dexter, Star Trek (TOS & TNG), Doctor Who (2005- ), Torchwood, Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and The Mighty Boosh.
    Movies: Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Oldboy, Ghost World, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Pink Flamingos, Blade Runner, Inglourious Basterds, The Descent, Dead Alive, Silence of the Lambs, and The Big Lebowski.
    Art: Elizabeth McGrath, Sylvia Ji & Will Russell. Also; cryptozoology, collecting, antiques, pets, politics, physics, GLBT issues.

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

I just started watching Doctor Who this year, I started with Christopher Eccleston in 2005 and just finished the new season with Matt Smith. I liked Eccleston, but I really loved David Tennant. He's so emotive, without being annoying. (IMO) I found him to be one of the most endearing characters I've seen on tv in a long time. I liked Matt Smith, but I can't help but miss Tennant.
Does anyone here like the spin-off, Torchwood?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users