Long time, no hear

rushstarboy37

Rush hasn't come out with a song longer than 8 minutes since the camera eye in 1981 on moving pictures. Do you think they'll ever make a song that long again. I want to hear some more xanadu's or 2112's

what do you think?

I want to list off the many songs they have that I am referring to:

The Camera Eye

Natural Science

Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres: Prelude/Apollo Bringer of Wisdom/Dion

Cygnus X-1

La Villa Strangiato

Xanadu

The Necromancer: Into Darkness/Under the Shadow/Return of the Prince

The Fountain of Lamneth: In the Valley/Didacts and Narpets/No One At

By-Tor and the Snow Dog

We haven't heard any new songs as long as these for 24 years! I think it's about time for another. I would love to hear something by the likes of these songs again in the future.

QUOTE (rushstarboy37 @ Apr 12 2005, 08:58 PM)
Rush hasn't come out with a song longer than 8 minutes since the camera eye in 1981 on moving pictures. Do you think they'll ever make a song that long again. I want to hear some more xanadu's or 2112's

what do you think?

I want to list off the many songs they have that I am referring to:
The Camera Eye
Natural Science
Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres: Prelude/Apollo Bringer of Wisdom/Dion
Cygnus X-1
La Villa Strangiato
Xanadu
The Necromancer: Into Darkness/Under the Shadow/Return of the Prince
The Fountain of Lamneth: In the Valley/Didacts and Narpets/No One At
By-Tor and the Snow Dog

We haven't heard any new songs as long as these for 24 years! I think it's about time for another. I would love to hear something by the likes of these songs again in the future.

yes.gif I agree with you!

I'd luv 2.gif to come out with a new "long" song.

I thought about this before. So, I'm not the only one who would like that! trink39.gif

I would have to say I would be totally surprised if they came out with a long song like the ones mentioned here, but I don't see it happening. It was the "in thing" back in the 70's, 80's . I would love for them to do something like 2112 ect... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

troutman trink39.gif

yeah that would be really cool.

I mean it's not like they need any money or they're trying to prove anything to anyone, they have their status and they're going to keep it. Now would be a great time for a concept album. That's one of the things that's been missing from the rock world lately that i think would be a great thing to have now.

but concept or not i would love to hear some new 2.gif material in the next couple of years.

I agree. Not a song, but listening to O Baterista, this may come as close as they are going to be willing to go. And, I don't think they're thinking about any trends at this point. The music is the main point. And, by the way, was anyone else pissed off that O Baterista lost the Grammy to Brian Wilson's stupid thing about some old cow's cow?

I don't think rush is ever going to get as big of hits as spirit of radio, limelight or tom sawyer again, so it's not like they are trying to get noticed or anything, they're legends. they might as well make some crazy albums while they still can.

There's tons of bands that still do this today. bands like dream theater still make songs that are like 8 to 14 minutes long, and they're like descendants of rush. People love dream theater.

I think most of the world still has enough attention to listen to a 10 min song.

be funny if the song they wrote was about how people don't have the attention span to listen to songs this long anymore. i'd call it Ridalen

edited: and I was wondering about that grammy thing, It wasn't even mentioned on the show or the site or anything. that sucks they lost. and when im talking about long songs, im talking about studio recorded songs. I forgot about O bateristsa. I really just see that as a long drum solo. but it's a good song.

Damn, man, what could you possibly expect out of the guys after all that incredible mind candy? Forgive me if I seem rude, but some people expect "2112" every time Rush is mentioned. For me it doesn't matter how long the somg, it's still Rush and no band can touch them.

2.gif trink39.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (rushstarboy37 @ Apr 12 2005, 08:43 PM)
I don't expect anything amazing. i said that. I just expect something long

but the fact is that rush still does and will always rock

Dont expect anything out of the band except greatness in what they do. They are a progressive band, not simply in the label of "progressive music" but in the way they approach each album. Everything they do is different from album to album, and they never stray back towards former musical ideas. They are always ones to reinvent their sounds with each album. That being said, they have progressed out of the long song area, I would highly doubt ever again hearing a song over 7 minutes in length from them again, thats just not where they are as musicians anymore.

Besides, just because a song takes up a larger amount of time to play, doesnt mean that a shorter one can still sound good. Quality over quantity wink.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 13 2005, 05:41 AM)
That being said, they have progressed out of the long song area, I would highly doubt ever again hearing a song over 7 minutes in length from them again, thats just not where they are as musicians anymore.

Besides, just because a song takes up a larger amount of time to play, doesnt mean that a shorter one can still sound good. Quality over quantity wink.gif

i don't think I could have put it any better.

To my mind, bringing out 12 - 14 minute epics would be a step back for the band and that is not the sort of thing they would do.

Besides, I don't know if you've noticed, but their songs tend to average around the 5 minute mark - that doesn't exactly put them in the 3 minute popsong category

QUOTE (cla2112 @ Apr 13 2005, 05:24 AM)
Damn, man, what could you possibly expect out of the guys after all that incredible mind candy? Forgive me if I seem rude, but some people expect "2112" every time Rush is mentioned. For me it doesn't matter how long the somg, it's still Rush and no band can touch them.

2.gif trink39.gif 2.gif

A touch unfair, methinks

I don't think anyone seriously expects a return to 2112

However, consider something like Natural Science - Not an outdated prog rock behemoth by any means, but exploring interesting lyrical concepts with some kickass music.

To my mind, bringing out 12 - 14 minute epics would be a step back for the band and that is not the sort of thing they would do.

Slaine, I can't agree with that. The substance of the music is more important that the form with Rush, the length of the piece is immaterial, it's what it incorporates.

I'm with Rushstarboy on this one - I'd love a good meaty epic with space for the guys to explore different arrangements, time signatures, instrument emphasis etc.

Let's face it, they can fart the Moldovan national anthem underwater in 3/4 time, and we'll still buy it. Don't rule anything out!!!!!.

they can fart the Moldovan national anthem underwater in 3/4 time, and we'll still buy it.

rofl3.gif

(reminds me too much on that in-joke on the official Genesis Forum... biggrin.gif )

Anyway...

I'd like to hear some real-long-tracks too again. Prog's not really out, just check, how much new Prog bands are exsisting and there's even a Prog-Band on the HUGE rise........ wacko.gif ah, what wos their name??...those two guys with the huge black hair...the singer sings also like he's sipping Helium for breakfast...*argh* thinks....thinks.... sad.gif..... AH I GOT IT!! biggrin.gif THE MARS VOLTA *oooofff* wacko.gif

But at least our Rushys have a lot tracks over 5 minits and that is quite a lot for today and the live-versions are often longer.

And it seems, they don't want to sound too proggy, their "Vapor Trails" is quite *um* kicking Rock with slight Nu-Metal influences but I really like it.

I'm happy as long they do new songs at all (being very worried because of that Alex-in-lawtrouble-Problem sad.gif )

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Apr 12 2005, 10:36 PM)
People's attention spans are about 1/1,000th what they were in 1981.  People can't sit through long songs anymore.  That's why we get 3 minute radio tunes.

I'll drink to that! trink39.gif

Not sure they will come out with another epic, but I would like to hear a new instrumental.

If you read Contents Under Pressure, they were explaining how the long epic songs like 2112, Hemmispheirs they could not do in 1 take anymore. They would record Hemmispheiers in 3-4 minute sessions be cause they were just getting.....i dont know burnt out from those longs songs, and that might be the reason they dont play them in their entirity anymore.

Archived