Star Trek

progrush2112

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 8 2010, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 8 2010, 06:28 AM)
TUD - after FC, the darkest Star Trek ever got.

And it was a good dark! Good, serious drama - from the Cold War relationship between the Federation and Klingons to the Kirk's personal demons. "Let them die!" - what a GREAT line! All of Kirk's rage and bitterness towards the Klingons packed into three words. We even get to see Kirk and Spock almost have a falling-out over the peace negotiations.

Christopher Plummer put this film over the top. General Chang was frickin' GREAT......his taunting of Kirk and the Enterprise with Shakespearian lines was awesone. A villain that you wanted to blast with a phaser from the very first scene.....

Klingons being ultra familiar with Shakespeare and Spock making references to Nixon is actually one of the more annoying things about Trek. I still loved Plummer's performance though.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is The Voyage Home so appreciated? It seemed like a long version of one of the crappier original episodes. And when it comes down to it, they were only saving humpback whales to save their own asses.

The good/great Trek films: Khan, Undiscovered Country, First Contact, the reboot. The others are all somewhere between tolerable-horrible

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 8 2010, 08:58 PM)
Why is The Voyage Home so appreciated?  It seemed like a long version of one of the crappier original episodes.  And when it comes down to it, they were only saving humpback whales to save their own asses.

The Voyage Home, in my opinion, made the characters of Kirk, Spock and crew much more real.....more believable. To audiences, they were in a much more familiar setting (our present day), and they were interacting with US. They weren't in some imaginary star system doing imaginary Starfleet missions. They were truly HOME.

Trek fanatics, at least back then, devoted a LOT of their time and energy into those characters.....sometimes to a fault. When the crew "came down to Earth", so to speak, audiences just ate it up.

Personally, the scene on the bus with the punk and his ghetto blaster was a revelation. To see James T. Kirk and Spock of Vulcan have to deal with some 20th century asshole, well, that was an outstanding anachronism....simply brilliant. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 8 2010, 06:28 AM)
Actually I'm going to diagree and say that I actually liked Insurrection. OK, it did have some clunky moments (but hwat ST film doesn't) but it was the ideal antithesis to First contact.

To me, FC was the darkest ST film of all and, if they had carried on in that vein, it would have been too much darkness. Instead, they made it a bit lighter in tone (much as they did with Search for Spock/The Voyage Home).

While I will agree about the joystick being a little silly, it did have plenty to recommend it. The Sonaa made great antagonists and the performances of the real veteran non-regulars (Anthony Zerbst and F Murray Abraham) raised it above the 'extended episode' syndrome.

Plus, I love Donna Murphy in this.

The Star Trek films have always been patchy. I agree with some of the writers of SFX magazine when they renamed The Motion Picture 'The Motionless Picture'. While the special effects were magnificent, the story was, basically, a retread of the episode 'The Changeling' mixed in with elements of an unfilmed episode entitled 'In Thy Image' (supposedly the intended pilot for the aborted Phase 2 TV series). While this wasn't a bad thing, as such, the implementation of the script was dull and, for long periods, nothing actually happened (although I have heard this was down to studio interference - they said as the FX were costing so much they should be on screen more). As such, it made for a boring film with flashes of greatness.

TWoK fully deserves its reputation. It took everything that made the original series enjoyable but cut out the over earnest preachiness and turned everthing up a notch. In addition, Ricardo Montalban made Khan a great screen villain.

TSFS - I've always looked at this as Star Trek going Spielberg. A decent story that's, ultimately, let down when it begins to wallow in sentimentality. However, it does have a darkness at its core that added a little bitterness to the sacharine.

TVH - hilarious. Nothing is taken seriously (despite the seriousness of the central idea) meaning its great fun and not too preachy.

TFF - there was a film called this/ i must have blotted it from my memory. Actually, the only thing I liked about this was Cynthia Gow playing the Romulan ambassador drool1.gif

TUD - after FC, the darkest Star Trek ever got. Politics, conspiracy, action and Kim Cattrell ( despite the dodgy hair cut) make this a good film in its own right. Plus, with Christopher Plummer as Kang, another great villain.

Generations - a fine hand over of the baton. Did very well to fuse the different styles of both crews plus the last (please) we'll see of Wilma Shatner.

FC - not only one of the best ST films but a great SF actioner in its own right.

Insurrection - I've already discussed this. I liked it.

Nemesis - a wasted opportunity. With the concept of Picard's clone, maybe they could have made this an intruiging segment but fell short. Ron Pearlman was good tpugh.

I personally thought Spice Williams was hotter, (klingon chick with the VONderful muscles) drool1.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 9 2010, 02:28 AM)
http://blastr.com/assets_c/2009/10/EvilThingsMirror-thumb-330x246-27221.jpg

Now that is exactly why I'd like JJ Abrams to do a Mirror universe film - Zoe Saldana dressed like that drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 9 2010, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 8 2010, 07:28 PM)

Unfortunately Sulu has no interest in females. ohmy.gif

Signed,

"May The Farce Be With You"

Like I give a shit about a scarface Mirror Mirror non-interested Sulu. I was looking at Uhura baby! laugh.gif

Signed,

May the Force 10 be with you common001.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 9 2010, 02:19 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 9 2010, 02:28 AM)

Now that is exactly why I'd like JJ Abrams to do a Mirror universe film - Zoe Saldana dressed like that drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

yes.gif cheer.gif trink39.gif common001.gif

Also, back when Nichelle Nichols was hot!! drool1.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 6 2010, 09:11 PM)
My favorite series in order:

1. The Next Generation
2. Deep Space Nine
3. The Original Series
4. Enterprise
5. Voyager

Note: I haven't watched the Animated Series in decades.

My favorite movies in order:

1. Star Trek
2. Wrath of Kahn
3. First Contact
4. The Undiscovered Country
5. Search for Spock
6. The Voyage Home
7. The Motion Picture
8. Generations
9. The Final Frontier
10. Nemesis
11. Insurrection

1. The Next Generation

2. The Original Series

3. Enterprise

4. Voyager

5. Deep Space Nine

That said, ALL of the series were GREAT! The only series where I haven't seen every episode is Voyager, and I look forward to catching more of those. DS9 was great, but it was often a little less action oriented and more character driven, and sometimes it wasn't as exciting - it got better as it progressed and they spent more time with the Dominion, etc. Enterprise was a really fantastic series, and was seriously hitting its stride when it was tragically canceled.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

2. Star Trek (the recent re-imagining)

3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

4. Star Trek Generations

5. Star Trek First Contact

6. Star Trek Insurrection

Honestly, while I have seen all of the movies, those are the only ones that really did it for me. Of the 6 with the original cast, I only really loved II and IV - the others were only ok. I loved all of the TNG cast movies except Nemesis was only ok.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Aug 11 2010, 05:17 PM)
http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/great_s...ucwe_never_knew

z7shysterical.gif  z7shysterical.gif

Thank you for completely destroying all my great memories of Captain Jean-Luc Picard....

unsure.gif sad.gif rofl3.gif

1. The Next Generation

2. Original Series

3. Deep Space Nine

4. Voyager

5. Enterprise

1. Star Trek

2. Wrath of Kahn

3. First Contact

4. The Undiscovered Country

5. The Voyage Home

6. Search for Spock

7. Generations

8. Insurrection

9. The Final Frontier

10. Nemesis

11. The Motion Picture

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 27 2010, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Nov 27 2010, 10:58 PM)
Anyone heard about the plot for the sequel to STAR TREK?

confused13.gif

Here's something I read a while back. Nothing concrete, but it's a fun read:

Badass Digest

Yeah that was a pretty interesting read! I do like the Gary Mitchell angle also the Talosians would make for a good script IMHO! Thanks for the Link!

1022.gif