Star Trek

progrush2112

Since we have the 'Nothing But Star Wars' thread, and I like both!

Boldly go. Live long and prosper.

http://www.wired.com/images/slideshow/2009/05/gallery_star_trek/star_trek_1a.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Aug 6 2010, 09:04 PM)

http://www.wired.com/images/slideshow/2009/05/gallery_star_trek/star_trek_1a.jpg

My fav Enterprise, though the new movie Enterprise is Beautiful too

My favorite series in order:

1. The Next Generation

2. Deep Space Nine

3. The Original Series

4. Enterprise

5. Voyager

Note: I haven't watched the Animated Series in decades.

My favorite movies in order:

1. Star Trek

2. Wrath of Kahn

3. First Contact

4. The Undiscovered Country

5. Search for Spock

6. The Voyage Home

7. The Motion Picture

8. Generations

9. The Final Frontier

10. Nemesis

11. Insurrection

The only Star Trek I like is the new movie. I loathe the preachiness of all the TV series and I've never been able to get past Shatner's mega-hammy overacting. Dr. McCoy and Scotty were cool, though.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 7 2010, 10:36 AM)
The only Star Trek I like is the new movie. I loathe the preachiness of all the TV series and I've never been able to get past Shatner's mega-hammy overacting. Dr. McCoy and Scotty were cool, though.

After watching just about everything he has ever done it seems obvious that he doesn't overact. He seems to literally be that way in real life.

Its weird with me and Star Trek. i grew up with TOS and loved it at the time. Now, when I watch it, I just cringe.

Then came TNG and the same thing happened - loved it at the time and now I find it cringeworthy despite having Patrick Stewart - one of the greatest actors of all time.

DS9, never really got into. Voyager was hit and miss. Enterprise I hated.

now we have JJ Abrams at the helm and I love it once more. The casting is, I think, great (particularly Zac Quinto and Karl Urban while Simon Pegg was surprisingly good and Zoe Saldana is the sexiest person ever in a Starfleet uniform - can we start lobbying for a Mirror Universe story? drool1.gif drool1.gif ) and the story was engaging without, as Jack said, the 'preachiness' that has dogged it over the years.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 7 2010, 02:21 PM)
Its weird with me and Star Trek. i grew up with TOS and loved it at the time. Now, when I watch it, I just cringe.

Then came TNG and the same thing happened - loved it at the time and now I find it cringeworthy despite having Patrick Stewart - one of the greatest actors of all time.

DS9, never really got into. Voyager was hit and miss. Enterprise I hated.

now we have JJ Abrams at the helm and I love it once more. The casting is, I think, great (particularly Zac Quinto and Karl Urban while Simon Pegg was surprisingly good and Zoe Saldana is the sexiest person ever in a Starfleet uniform - can we start lobbying for a Mirror Universe story? drool1.gif drool1.gif ) and the story was engaging without, as Jack said, the 'preachiness' that has dogged it over the years.

good post.

TOS is almost impossible to watch.

I still find most TNG watchable. The first couple of seasons are tough to watch and anything with Wesley. The Tasha "black" planet is probably the worst episode. Inner Light, Darmok, BoBW are still great.

1. The Original Series

2. The Next Generation

3. Deep Space Nine

4. Enterprise/Voyager

-Have never watched The Animated Series

1. The Wrath of Kahn

2. Star Trek

3. First Contact

4. Generations

5. The Voyage Home

6. Nemesis

7. The Search for Spock

8. The Motion Picture

9. Insurrection

10. The Final Frontier

11. The Undiscovered Country

I grew up on the TOS cast at a time when TNG was in full force, going strong. DS9 came out and I watched a little of it, and thought it was all right. Enterprise and Voyager came out at a time when I had kind of fallen out of being a trekkie. I've only seen a few episodes of Enterprise, maybe one of Voyager, so it's not very fair for me to judge one over the other. THE MOVIES is where I fell in love with Star Trek. Generations was the first Star Trek movie I ever saw, and it should be higher on my list. However, Khan is a f%^&ing classic, the JJ Abrams Star Trek blew my mind and I am highly anticipating the follow up, and let's face it Borg>Klingon although the Nexus was a badass idea.

QUOTE (MusicHead @ Aug 7 2010, 05:29 PM)
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnQROgk1IM

Love it. He makes fun of himself the whole time. z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

I, however, do own a Tricorder... unsure.gif

Edited by progrush2112

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 6 2010, 09:09 PM)

My fav Enterprise, though the new movie Enterprise is Beautiful too

Mine too and yes.gif

Enterprise E is also a beaut!

http://www.cwgsy.net/private/waynew/wpaps/startrek/enterprise_e.jpg

Sad we got to see her for only a few movies. wub.gif

This fictional starship has become a cultural icon, hasn't it? You can show this picture to just about anyone in the Western world, and they will know exactly what it is and what it represents. The ship, the characters, the famous phrases, the technological wonders, and especially the ideas promoted in the series have been embedded into our society.

I grew up with the Original Series, loved The Next Generation, liked Deep Space Nine, tolerated the rest, and marveled at most of the films. I do, however, accept the fact that Star Trek may have come to a well-deserved retirement. The newest film by Abrams was great, but I cannot see another series of films being made (I could be wrong about that, of course!).

Star Trek deserves much applause, but it definitely does not deserve to be restarted over and over again ad nauseum. I think its contribution to the entertainment universe is complete.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Aug 7 2010, 09:26 PM)
The original series and films is the only Trek that matters

The '60s series is definitely king. 1022.gif There's some good stories in the animated version. smile.gif "Next Generation" doesn't have the likeable characters the original series did. I still own all seven seasons. Anybody wanna buy it from me? unsure.gif Never got into "Deep Space 9." schla03.gif I liked "Voyager", but not enough to spend money on it. confused13.gif Never saw "Enterprise." blush4.gif All six of the original movies are great. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif The rest of them look like TV episodes. I didn't mind "Star Trek" still, the old stuff rules. trink39.gif

Yeah, the TNG cast just ran out of gas. sad.gif TNG was my fav series. Thats what I grew up watching with dad. Did anyone like Insurrection? I liked it but if its Star Trek, I seldom complain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Kind of like a certain and we all like

Edited by tkdryan

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 7 2010, 09:24 PM)
Did anyone like Insurrection?

It's not my first round draft pick for a Trek Movie, but it does have its moments.

I thought Data and Picard had some great scenes throughout the movie.

And the "Riker Maneuver" scene is also fantastic.

Still, it's a hit or miss movie.

TOS is my favourite of the TV shows, even though it is VERY hit and miss.

TNG was awesome after season 2. Season 1 and 2 had some great moments, but the machine didn't kickstart until season 3.

Despite what lots of people say, I think Voyager was pretty cool! Can't compete with the first two series, but there were some good moments.

Deep Space Nine...haven't seen a lot of it, but what I've seen is pretty meh.

Enterprise was pretty cool. I haven't seen any of the animated series.

As for the movies, the ones that were any good were: 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9 and Star Trek. I haven't seen Nemesis or The Motion Picture. Star Trek V definitely deserves its place at the bottom of the list.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 6 2010, 09:11 PM)

1. The Next Generation
2. Deep Space Nine
3. The Original Series
4. Enterprise
5. Voyager

Note: I haven't watched the Animated Series in decades.

1. Star Trek
2. Wrath of Kahn
3. First Contact
4. The Undiscovered Country
5. Search for Spock
6. The Voyage Home
7. The Motion Picture
8. Generations
9. The Final Frontier
10. Nemesis
11. Insurrection

"The Voyage Home" is my favorite!

The "prequel" is my second favorite.

When is the next film coming out?

I saw First Contact as the last real film.

Insurrection was pure fluff, as the producers didn't want to follow with another super heavy plotline. It was a very forgettable film. Riker piloting the Enterprise with a joystick was ridiculous. The low point was seeing the crew lined up with phaser rifles in a horrible Wild West scene. The film was better suited to be an episode in the TV series.

Nemesis was the final blow. The film was nothing more than a regurgitated Wrath Of Khan, which showed that the producers had run out of new ideas. I was extremely disappointed in it. A great opportunity to feature the Romulans was wasted. Instead, we got the Reman freaks....totally unnecessary. They completely destroyed the character of Deanna Troi (they made her into a sobbing, hysterical mess). The final scene could be one of the worst of all time.

The Undiscovered Country and Generations were very underrated, IMO. Christopher Plummer as the rogue Klingon General Chang was a revelation. Outstanding work! Great Cold War metaphor too. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Stewart and Shatner working together. The concept of a false Heaven (the Nexus) was very intriguing.

Wrath Of Khan and The Voyage Home are obvious classics. The Search For Spock was a little weak but still acceptable. The Motion Picture looked great and had its moments, but it ultimately sputtered and died. The Final Frontier was.....well, let's just pretend it didn't happen....

Actually I'm going to diagree and say that I actually liked Insurrection. OK, it did have some clunky moments (but hwat ST film doesn't) but it was the ideal antithesis to First contact.

To me, FC was the darkest ST film of all and, if they had carried on in that vein, it would have been too much darkness. Instead, they made it a bit lighter in tone (much as they did with Search for Spock/The Voyage Home).

While I will agree about the joystick being a little silly, it did have plenty to recommend it. The Sonaa made great antagonists and the performances of the real veteran non-regulars (Anthony Zerbst and F Murray Abraham) raised it above the 'extended episode' syndrome.

Plus, I love Donna Murphy in this.

The Star Trek films have always been patchy. I agree with some of the writers of SFX magazine when they renamed The Motion Picture 'The Motionless Picture'. While the special effects were magnificent, the story was, basically, a retread of the episode 'The Changeling' mixed in with elements of an unfilmed episode entitled 'In Thy Image' (supposedly the intended pilot for the aborted Phase 2 TV series). While this wasn't a bad thing, as such, the implementation of the script was dull and, for long periods, nothing actually happened (although I have heard this was down to studio interference - they said as the FX were costing so much they should be on screen more). As such, it made for a boring film with flashes of greatness.

TWoK fully deserves its reputation. It took everything that made the original series enjoyable but cut out the over earnest preachiness and turned everthing up a notch. In addition, Ricardo Montalban made Khan a great screen villain.

TSFS - I've always looked at this as Star Trek going Spielberg. A decent story that's, ultimately, let down when it begins to wallow in sentimentality. However, it does have a darkness at its core that added a little bitterness to the sacharine.

TVH - hilarious. Nothing is taken seriously (despite the seriousness of the central idea) meaning its great fun and not too preachy.

TFF - there was a film called this/ i must have blotted it from my memory. Actually, the only thing I liked about this was Cynthia Gow playing the Romulan ambassador drool1.gif

TUD - after FC, the darkest Star Trek ever got. Politics, conspiracy, action and Kim Cattrell ( despite the dodgy hair cut) make this a good film in its own right. Plus, with Christopher Plummer as Kang, another great villain.

Generations - a fine hand over of the baton. Did very well to fuse the different styles of both crews plus the last (please) we'll see of Wilma Shatner.

FC - not only one of the best ST films but a great SF actioner in its own right.

Insurrection - I've already discussed this. I liked it.

Nemesis - a wasted opportunity. With the concept of Picard's clone, maybe they could have made this an intruiging segment but fell short. Ron Pearlman was good tpugh.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 8 2010, 06:28 AM)
TUD - after FC, the darkest Star Trek ever got.

And it was a good dark! Good, serious drama - from the Cold War relationship between the Federation and Klingons to the Kirk's personal demons. "Let them die!" - what a GREAT line! All of Kirk's rage and bitterness towards the Klingons packed into three words. We even get to see Kirk and Spock almost have a falling-out over the peace negotiations.

Christopher Plummer put this film over the top. General Chang was frickin' GREAT......his taunting of Kirk and the Enterprise with Shakespearian lines was awesone. A villain that you wanted to blast with a phaser from the very first scene.....