Star Trek

progrush2112

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Folks...I've decided I'm ready to give Deep Space Nine another try.

I actually haven't watched it since it was first on, back when I was about 9 or 10. I never really got into it, but kept watching it while TNG was still on. Once TNG finished, I also stopped watching DS9 too. (my only excuse was that I was only 9 or 10 at the time)

However, I've just finished watching all of TOS. One of the extras on the DVD was the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations"...which I absolutely loved. Aside from the obvious time travel/interaction with the original crew, which was a lot of fun, I found myself enjoying the DS9 characters too.

This new bald and bearded Sisco seems a lot cooler and more fun than I remember him being.

I originally stopped watching before Worf arrived, so it was great seeing more of him. But I think what I enjoyed the most was the O'Brien/Bashir double act....very funny.

So, on the strength of this episode, I've decided to give it a second chance. I've just ordered the 1st season DVD set.

I'll keep you posted on how I progress...

Beyond

The rim of the star-light

My love

Is wand'ring in star flight

I know

He'll find in star-clustered reaches

Love

Strange love a star woman teaches

I know

His journey ends never

His star trek

Will go on forever

But tell him

While he wanders his starry sea

Remember, remember me

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 5 2011, 12:59 PM)
OK Folks...I've decided I'm ready to give Deep Space Nine another try.

I actually haven't watched it since it was first on, back when I was about 9 or 10. I never really got into it, but kept watching it while TNG was still on. Once TNG finished, I also stopped watching DS9 too. (my only excuse was that I was only 9 or 10 at the time)

However, I've just finished watching all of TOS. One of the extras on the DVD was the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations"...which I absolutely loved. Aside from the obvious time travel/interaction with the original crew, which was a lot of fun, I found myself enjoying the DS9 characters too.
This new bald and bearded Sisco seems a lot cooler and more fun than I remember him being.
I originally stopped watching before Worf arrived, so it was great seeing more of him. But I think what I enjoyed the most was the O'Brien/Bashir double act....very funny.

So, on the strength of this episode, I've decided to give it a second chance. I've just ordered the 1st season DVD set.
I'll keep you posted on how I progress...

It's been dispatched

Hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow

goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hurrah! I really hope you like it this second time around. smile.gif It's not everyone's cup of tea but it's my favourite of all. In fact, right now I'm wearing a DS9 shirt. laugh.gif

Like TNG it gets better the further on it goes. The last few seasons are intense. Have fun!

Thanks for the encouragement, CMWriter smile.gif

DVD arrived yesterday and I watched the first few episodes last night. I've got to say, so far so good.

I'm enjoying getting to know all the characters again. I particularly love the banter between Odo and Quark. It's also good to see O'Brien getting to take center stage a bit more...off the top of my head, I can only recall 2 or 3 episodes of TNG where he got to do anything much (and one of those, he was possessed by an alien criminal)

It's actually odd how some parts I can remember clearly, and others I've completely forgotten. The opening, with Locutus, was something that I instantly remembered. As was the bit in "A Man Alone" where everyone's after Odo because they think he's a murderer. Strange how some stuff sticks in your memory after so many years.

Looking forward to watching more new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 9 2011, 08:55 AM)
Thanks for the encouragement, CMWriter smile.gif

DVD arrived yesterday and I watched the first few episodes last night. I've got to say, so far so good.
I'm enjoying getting to know all the characters again. I particularly love the banter between Odo and Quark. It's also good to see O'Brien getting to take center stage a bit more...off the top of my head, I can only recall 2 or 3 episodes of TNG where he got to do anything much (and one of those, he was possessed by an alien criminal)

It's actually odd how some parts I can remember clearly, and others I've completely forgotten. The opening, with Locutus, was something that I instantly remembered. As was the bit in "A Man Alone" where everyone's after Odo because they think he's a murderer. Strange how some stuff sticks in your memory after so many years.

Looking forward to watching more new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

"A Man Alone" is one of my favourite episodes. (: I thought it was great. And a clever ending, with the genetic engineering schpeal at the end! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I think as the characters (and actors for that matter) got more into the setting and swing of things it really took off. Character chemistry was, imo, one of DS9's strongest suits, more than anything else, since of course they're not off gallivanting around the universe like the other crews.

Update...

Just watched the last episode of season 1...and I've got to say, I'm now hooked.

Season 2 is in the post laugh.gif

There were quite a few familiar faces thrown into the first season, no doubt to help reassure long time fans. Obviously, there was Picard in the pilot episode, but it was also nice to see appearances by Lursa and B'etor, also Q and Vash. Even Lwaxana Troi shared some unexpectedly touching scenes with Odo.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 19 2011, 06:29 AM)
Update...

Just watched the last episode of season 1...and I've got to say, I'm now hooked.
Season 2 is in the post laugh.gif

There were quite a few familiar faces thrown into the first season, no doubt to help reassure long time fans. Obviously, there was Picard in the pilot episode, but it was also nice to see appearances by Lursa and B'etor, also Q and Vash. Even Lwaxana Troi shared some unexpectedly touching scenes with Odo.

Season 1 was the worst of all of them, and it's still awesome. DS9 gets progressively better, all the way to the end. It's my favorite Trek still.

I really, really liked the episodes with Lwaxana Troi and Odo. In fact, I liked just about every episode in the franchise with Lwaxana. Majel Barrett was a fantastic actress, always very graceful yet commanding in her own way, and I think it's a shame she never got to be TOS' "Number One".

"The Forsaken" remains one of my favourite episodes and perhaps my favourite from the first season of DS9. Odo had some very funny reactions to Lwaxana's... ah... "advances". tongue.gif

Yeah, I quite liked the Lwaxana episodes, too. Specially when they actually made them about something, instead of just being funny.

Half a Life, with David Ogden Stiers playing a scientist from a race of people who commit ritual suicide when they reach a certain age...that's a fantastic episode with a good moral dilemma at it core.

Also, Dark Page, where Deanna learns she had an older sister, is a very emotional episode.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the funny ones either. Like the one where the Ferengi falls in love with her, and Picard has to pretend to be jealous laugh.gif

Love the premise, but I think it would get shot down due to the "openly gay crewmembers" North America is still too homophobic to have homosexuals in a series which has endured for so long without being controversial as a recurring element. I think it would have to be very tactfully and scarcely implemented for die-hards to want to watch it. The closest the topic has ever been covered in star Trek was in DS9 when Jadzia showed feelings for a significant other that Dax loved when it was attached to Curzon, and last I checked, those aren't considered the best episodes by the general public. People won't think it's Star Trek. I wouldn't want to watch it either if Adam Lambert was captain, or even a senior officer. It just wouldn't fit with the other 700+ episodes I've known as Star Trek.

They've been talking about new pitches practically since Enterprise met its very untimely demise. (:C) Personally I've read too many pitches to harbour a lot of interest. I'll be interested when I see the network say something about picking it up. For now, I stick to my novels (new ones all the time) and DVDs.

And the internet. Can't forget that.

I've been trying to find this parody someone made of TNG using original footage. It's during a borg battle, eventually the borg board the ship and soon after Picard just gets up and goes into his ready room mid fight, makes a cup of tea. Meanwhile you can hear the fight music in the background (as if in the other room) along with people fighting.

I can't seem to find it anymore, does anyone know what it's called?

Edited by USB Connector

3D was announced for the new Star Trek movie....

Boldly going where no man has gone before, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: I just wanted to mention that it's also slated for a May 2013 release. So you'd better hope the Mayans are wrong if we want to see the new movie. tongue.gif

Edited by USB Connector