Tai Shan

tkdryan

I'm a fairly new fan of Rush. I don't have all of their studio albums yet. I picked up Hold Your fire yesterday. First off I love it. Second Nature is beautiful. The album starts off really well with the first four songs.

So i was also expecting to make fun of Tai Shan when the song came up. I heard so many bad things about the song so I was surprised to hear how good it was. Sounds too me like Rush experimented with different sounds much like Mystic Rhythms and Losing It. I know Tai Shan is a mountain in China, but it makes me look forward to my Trip to Korea in a few years to visit a temple and train with some Monks through my Martial arts organization. During that time, we will be visiting the great wall.

Anyways, why all of the bad press? Does anyone hear like it as much as I do?

Tai Shan came up on shuffle on my ipod the other day, and I was reminded of how bad the guys missed the target on that one. I can't believe the same people who recorded 2112, YYZ, and Natural Science also recorded that abomination. laugh.gif

It's not traditional Rush, but I like it. I like all kinds of music, and if I detatch myself from the fact this doesn't sound like traditional Rush, and just listen to it as music, I like it.

I don't mind the song myself. I think it's decent at best. I can handle getting through it when I listen to HYF or if it comes up while my iPOD is on shuffle. It's certainly low on the list of songs I crave to hear from them regularly.

I like the first eight songs on this album a lot. Tai Shan is quite a step down from the rest of it. Especially having to follow the awesome TTP puts it in a bad spot.

I feel the same way about High Water. Along with Tai Shan they're both just so-so fillers to round out the album.

When I'm in the mood for tunes like that, sure, I'll play it.

It's so different than what they've done, but so what? That's what makes Rush so cool; they will change their music whenever they want. If they want to explore different sounds, they're gonna do it! And if it doesn't succeed all that well, then so what? They'll do something else....!!