Rush songs in ads

invisibleairwaves

If you consider the year 2000 to be recent, then there was a commercial that

aired in 2000 with an excerpt from "Tom Sawyer" in it.

This Power Windows link contains some information about the commercial.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/RushReferences.htm

"2001 Nissan Maxima, television commercial, Fall 2000

The first two measures of "Tom Sawyer" (repeating once) served as background music for the 20th Anniversary Nissan Maxima television commercial. "Yes, this was approved by both the band and Anthem. We really don't have a problem with it as it was tastefully done. In this day and age where there's no real rock radio left and video TV only plays pop music, we are trying other directions to get the music out there. I know the whole 'corporate sell out' lines. I just don't think they're applicable any longer." - Anthem Records, Oct. 17, 2000."

I remember when the Nagano winter olympics were taking place that they would play some tidbits of Driven during the extreme skiing events -- like during the montages and before the real commercial breaks. When it came on, I told my parents who I was watching it with that it was Rush in the background. Yay! cheer.gif

I don't know about recently but years ago when the TV news magazine show 48 Hours first came out, their theme song was the music of Mystic Rhythms.

A local station in New Orleans played some of the music from the instrumental intro "Hemisheres" in a professional wrestling ad.

A local station in Lafayette La. played the chorus from Dreamline while scrolling high school football scores.

Every time I heard these things I'd say "Hey, that's 2.gif !"

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 11 2005, 09:17 PM)
I don't know about recently but years ago when the TV news magazine show 48 Hours first came out, their theme song was the music of Mystic Rhythms.

I know what you're talking about, but I am not sure it was 48 Hours. I seem to recall the newsmagazine show that used Mystic Rhythms intro was on NBC and aired around 1986. It was some experiment with a newsmagazine to rival 60 Minutes but trying to be newer and hipper, didn't seem to work as it only lasted a few months. I guess it was a few years too early. 48 Hours, CBS of course, didn't start airing until the early '90s if I remember correctly. It wasn't Dateline as that show didn't start airing until the early '90s either.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 12 2005, 04:54 AM)

I know what you're talking about, but I am not sure it was 48 Hours. I seem to recall the newsmagazine show that used Mystic Rhythms intro was on NBC and aired around 1986. It was some experiment with a newsmagazine to rival 60 Minutes but trying to be newer and hipper, didn't seem to work as it only lasted a few months. I guess it was a few years too early. 48 Hours, CBS of course, didn't start airing until the early '90s if I remember correctly. It wasn't Dateline as that show didn't start airing until the early '90s either.

I could be wrong about the name of the show but I do know that Linda Ellerbee hosted it.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 12 2005, 10:22 AM)
I could be wrong about the name of the show but I do know that Linda Ellerbee hosted it.

Actually that was a history based show on ABC and not the one we are thinking of. It also only lasted a year.

QUOTE (BB&B @ Apr 11 2005, 03:53 PM)
If you consider the year 2000 to be recent, then there was a commercial that
aired in 2000 with an excerpt from "Tom Sawyer" in it.
This Power Windows link contains some information about the commercial.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/RushReferences.htm

"2001 Nissan Maxima, television commercial, Fall 2000
The first two measures of "Tom Sawyer" (repeating once) served as background music for the 20th Anniversary Nissan Maxima television commercial. "Yes, this was approved by both the band and Anthem. We really don't have a problem with it as it was tastefully done. In this day and age where there's no real rock radio left and video TV only plays pop music, we are trying other directions to get the music out there. I know the whole 'corporate sell out' lines. I just don't think they're applicable any longer." - Anthem Records, Oct. 17, 2000."

When I first saw the title to this thread, that Nissan commercial is the first thing I thought of... I think they even played it during the Super Bowl that year...

2.gif

I heard "Where's My Thing?" on a radio commercial for some sort of Vehicle deal

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 12 2005, 05:54 AM)

It was an NBC newsmagazine show called "1986".

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 12 2005, 07:49 PM)

You're probably right although that title doesn't ring any bells at all.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 12 2005, 08:49 PM)

That sounds familiar, vaguely. Good memory, Test.

I remember hearing that music and thinking "Cool." I never knew it was Rush until I heard Mystic Rhythms many years later for the first time (studio track, I heard the live track on ASoH in '89) and making the connection, thinking "I've heard that before." So I guess I had good taste even when I didn't know who I was hearing.

I can't think of any commercials, but I did hear Tom Sawyer in Adam Sandler's "The Waterboy."

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 28 2005, 05:48 PM)
I did some research on that news magazine show from the eighties and found out that it was called "Our World", not "1986" or "48 Hours".

Yeah, that was the history show that starred Linda Ellerbee and I think Ray Gandolf. I used to watch that every week with my grandmother when it was on. But that was NOT the one that used Mystic Rhythms as its theme. I am quite certain it was 1986 that had Mystic Rhythms as its theme. But if you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was in Our World, I would be willing to recant.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 29 2005, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 28 2005, 05:48 PM)
I did some research on that news magazine show from the eighties and found out that it was called "Our World", not "1986" or "48 Hours".

Yeah, that was the history show that starred Linda Ellerbee and I think Ray Gandolf. I used to watch that every week with my grandmother when it was on. But that was NOT the one that used Mystic Rhythms as its theme. I am quite certain it was 1986 that had Mystic Rhythms as its theme. But if you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was in Our World, I would be willing to recant.

I may just have to concede defeat; I don't think there's any way I can prove that. It's probably a moot point anyway. We're all in agreement that Mystic Rhythms was used as a theme song on some damn show.

Archived