Favorite version of Cygnus X-1

Tom Sawyer

Favorite version Cygnus X-1  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite version Cygnus X-1

• Book I (AFTK)
    • Book II (Hemispheres)

This one, in my opinion, is absolutely no contest.

Book 1 is good, but a bit overrated in comparison to some of the other epic Rush stuff during this time. Too many slow parts, weird effects, etc

Book II Hemispheres is 20 minutes of pure progressive magic that just comes at you non-stop. Brilliant musicianship from Second 1....

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 27 2010, 11:14 AM)

Book 1 is good, but a bit overrated in comparison to some of the other epic Rush stuff during this time. Too many slow parts, weird effects, etc

Book II Hemispheres is 20 minutes of pure progressive magic that just comes at you non-stop. Brilliant musicianship from Second 1....

I'd agree

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 27 2010, 01:14 PM)

Totally agree!

trink39.gif

Book II by a long shot

Book I is great and has Ged's most blood curdling scream, but it meanders way too much and isn't very flashy in the guitar department.

Book II on the other hand, has stellar musicianship all of the way through and is more lyrically interesting. And it's longer!

I love both, but it's interesting how different they are. Book one is probably the craziest thing they'd ever done. It's totally out there. Love it.

The only weak moment in AFTK for me is the narration in Cygnus X-1 and Geddy kind of screaming at the end. Besides that, it's a great song.

That said, Hemispheres wins easily. Plus, Hemispheres is twice as long and is full of proggy goodness and epicocity galore.

QUOTE (rushgoober)
Hemispheres is twice as long and is full of proggy goodness and epicocity galore.

yes.gif

And I too thought the OP title meant which release of Book One, studio or Different Stages. In which case, studio. I do however love the way Alex plays the epilogue chords on the live version.

QUOTE (mong82191 @ Jul 27 2010, 02:30 PM)
Book 2 by the length of Geddy's nose.

So a landslide victory... unsure.gif .... biggrin.gif

I voted Book II...by the length of Neil's personable patience ...

....a very slim margin in victory.

Book I. Especially live in '77 it was so much for powerful live. Book II is good but I never understood all the devoted worship towards it.

Book I is more aggressive IMO and you can't beat that slow intro then the distant bass that gets louder and louder, then the song kicks in, I love it.