The Official Red Rocker Thread! I Can't Drive 65!!

RUSHHEAD666

Which Project By Sammy Hagar Do You Love The Most????  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project By Sammy Hagar Do You Love The Most????

• Montrose
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Hagar, Schon, Aaronson, Shrieve
    • Van Hagar
    • Sammy Hagar And The Waboritas! MAS TEQUILA!
    • Chickenfoot
    • The Cabo Wabo Bar And Grill In Cabo San Lucas!
    • Cabo Wabo Tequila Which Made Sammy the 80 Million Dollar Man!
    • None! I Hate Sammy! Overrated And Overblown!!

Guys I blew off the dust of my Sammy Hagar VOA cd tonight.

Man, I haven't heard this album in years.

I still love it!!

Had to write this thread about Sammy Hagar.

I know we've talked about the man a few times over they years but this local Bay Area Legend needs his own thread and poll!

Now as some of you know I absolutely HATE most of the Van Hagar stuff.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few good records like "F.U.C.K." and "5150" but hey everyone has their own opinions on those records.

I don't know what to choose to be honest.

Wendy and I were married on October 13th which is Sammy's birthday. I didn't know that at the time to be honest.

I would love to take my bride down to Cabo Wabo on our anniversary to see Sammy but it just hasn't happened yet. It must be really hard to get a ticket for that show.

Anyway I'm torn between Montrose and the first bunch of those Sammy Hagar albums.

"Montrose" is one of the greatest rock records on the earth, but then "Paper Money" came out which is ok, but in the mainstream of things I would say that it was a BUST!

I dig the Chickenfoot stuff, but it still is very commercial. It's like Van Halen without Eddie Munster on guitars. wink.gif

So who wants to talk about Sammy anyway?

New Chickenfoot album and tour coming soon??????

Signed,

"DICK IN THE DIRT" 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif

Montrose!!

Space Station #5, Rock The Nation,

CLASSICS!!

I love the stuff that he did with the Wabos, but I will always go

back to the first two Montrose albums.

I'll be one of the only ones here...but what the hell...

VAN HAGAR

As I've stated before...I'm a big fan of the Van Hagar days. I don't really care what comparisons are made, or what everyone else thinks of his time with VH.

They wrote some great material together...and he brought out an edgier/more serious side of VH that I thought worked well. Some great material put out by them...I will always consider myself a fan of Van Hagar.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 23 2010, 02:43 AM)
Since no one else likely will, let me cast my vote for HSAS.

I really liked that album a lot. 1022.gif

"Top Of The Rock!"

Dude, I just found out that there were a lot of songs they recorded together that never made the album.

Wouldn't it be nice is "Through The Fire" was remastered and reissued with all the bonus tracks???

I'd buy it for sure!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 23 2010, 09:12 AM)

VAN HAGAR

As I've stated before...I'm a big fan of the Van Hagar days. I don't really care what comparisons are made, or what everyone else thinks of his time with VH.

They wrote some great material together...and he brought out an edgier/more serious side of VH that I thought worked well. Some great material put out by them...I will always consider myself a fan of Van Hagar.

Well at least you admit it, and I am sure you are not alone.

Are you a Van Hagar guy over the Diamond Dave years?

Also, isn't it true that Eddie wanted Sammy Hagar in Van Halen way before the picked up David Lee Roth?

I think Capital Records wouldn't let Sammy out of his contract so he couldn't join.

QUOTE (KW84 @ Jul 23 2010, 12:57 AM)
Montrose!!

Space Station #5, Rock The Nation,

CLASSICS!!

I love the stuff that he did with the Wabos, but I will always go
back to the first two Montrose albums.

I guess I need to give "Paper Money" another listen.

Never got into it.

I actually prefer a few of his Sammyless albums like "Warner Bros. Presents.... Montrose." Also "Jump On It" is good.

I'll take the first three Gamma albums over "Paper Money."

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:51 PM)

VAN HAGAR

Also, isn't it true that Eddie wanted Sammy Hagar in Van Halen way before the picked up David Lee Roth?

I think Capital Records wouldn't let Sammy out of his contract so he couldn't join.

Honestly Earl, I like to think of myself as liking them both pretty equally.

Obviously, the Diamond Dave stuff is beyond classic...some of the greatest rock songs in history. Untouchable.

With that said, I still think that Sammy was a damn good replacement when the egos began to strike the VH camp. I love how Sammy still managed to keep the 'party' attitude from the Roth era, and yet found ways to bring out a more mature/serious side of VH.

With every album in the Hagar era, they became more and more serious, and honestly, I thought it suited them just fine. I can definitely see where some VH fans might've lost interest in them (those who grew up with VH right from the start), but Hagar managed to write some damn good songs with the band.

I have always said this...to me, Roth was the better frontman, and Hagar was the better songwriter. I will always believe that.

BTW...interesting about that last part (about Eddie originally wanting Hagar in the band before Roth). I had never heard that before, but if so, it's very interesting indeed.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 23 2010, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:51 PM)

VAN HAGAR

Honestly Earl, I like to think of myself as liking them both pretty equally.

Obviously, the Diamond Dave stuff is beyond classic...some of the greatest rock songs in history. Untouchable.

With that said, I still think that Sammy was a damn good replacement when the egos began to strike the VH camp. I love how Sammy still managed to keep the 'party' attitude from the Roth era, and yet found ways to bring out a more mature/serious side of VH.

With every album in the Hagar era, they became more and more serious, and honestly, I thought it suited them just fine. I can definitely see where some VH fans might've lost interest in them (those who grew up with VH right from the start), but Hagar managed to write some damn good songs with the band.

I have always said this...to me, Roth was the better frontman, and Hagar was the better songwriter. I will always believe that.

BTW...interesting about that last part (about Eddie originally wanting Hagar in the band before Roth). I had never heard that before, but if so, it's very interesting indeed.

Hey dude! It's all good! I can't argue with you on this one.

Nothing wrong with liking both Van Halen versions equally.

I'm sure it is true that Eddie wanted Sammy first.

Guess I should research it to confirm it.

By the way, what's your take on "Van Halen III" then Gary Cherone on vocals?

I saw that Van Halen III Tour.,

The joint was half empty.

The highlights were the opener of "Mean Street" and "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" with Michael singing lead while Gary was doing a lame ass wardrobe change.

I actually like the song "Humans Being" with Sammy.

That was a song in the movie "Twister."

trink39.gif

I love the first 2 Montrose albums to death, especially the first one.

I love the HSAS project (have you heard the entire concert from that album? the album was actually recorded live and overdubbed into what would become the studio album.)

I liked the first 2 Van Hagar albums somewhat and a few tracks here and there after that.

Chickenfoot= ok

But I chose Sammy's solo material the best. I love the 70's stuff, I grew up on that as well as the early 80's. Had many great memories partying out to that stuff. Yeah, for overall catalog, I go with Sammy's solo stuff.

If I had to pick one album, it would be the Montrose s/t slightly over Standing Hampton.

Edited by Bastille Dave

I voted for Sammy Hagar. He is best solo.

I remember this song.

Does anybody remember it? I think he was about 17 when he did it! This was right before he joined Montrose. I remember those days like they were last week! yes.gif

Wasn't life great back then?!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 24 2010, 05:20 AM)

I remember this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU0_MYXqRR8

Does anybody remember it? I think he was about 17 when he did it! This was right before he joined Montrose. I remember those days like they were last week! yes.gif

actually he was 29 when he released those songs and that album back in '77, he left Montrose (ah, what could have been....) in 1975.

yes, life was good back then.....

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 24 2010, 05:31 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 24 2010, 05:20 AM)

I remember this song.

Does anybody remember it? I think he was about 17 when he did it! This was right before he joined Montrose. I remember those days like they were last week!  yes.gif

actually he was 29 when he released those songs and that album back in '77, he left Montrose (ah, what could have been....) in 1975.

yes, life was good back then.....

Thanks! A DJ at the time said he was 17.

By the way trink39.gif I love April Wine!

It's funny, Im a complete Roth-era VH guy and really didnt like the VanHagar years outside a handful of tunes, but I really dig the 70's and 80s Sammy solo stuff. It kicks ass. The Montrose stuff is great too.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jul 24 2010, 08:26 AM)
It's funny, Im a complete Roth-era VH guy and really didnt like the VanHagar years outside a handful of tunes, but I really dig the 70's and 80s Sammy solo stuff. It kicks ass. The Montrose stuff is great too.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 24 2010, 04:41 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 24 2010, 05:36 AM)

By the way trink39.gif  I love April Wine!

me too bro! I must admit however I didnt discover the early years (early to mid 70's) until about 3 years ago. Good stuff!

Hey Dave! I just scored a couple of used April Wine guitar picks off of eBay.

Very cool.

I'm also an insane pick collector.

Go figure! wink.gif

I like some of the stuff he did before V.H. That's about it

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 24 2010, 12:43 AM)

Good work mentioning this one Earl!

Whether it sounds crazy or not...this is one of my favourite VH tunes. It flat out rocks! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 26 2010, 09:28 AM)
By the way, what's your take on "Van Halen III" then Gary Cherone on vocals?

I'll take a quote from MD on this one...

"They shit the bed on this one!"

wink.gif

Classic! Says it all really!

Signed,

"Fire In The Hole" wink.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 26 2010, 09:29 AM)

Good work mentioning this one Earl!

Whether it sounds crazy or not...this is one of my favourite VH tunes. It flat out rocks! 1022.gif

Yes! It's a rocker!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 24 2010, 03:20 AM)

I remember this song.

Nice vid, dude. Cool vinyl stack. Did you hear the slight crackle on the record in between songs? Hagar's pretty good at everything he does, Van Halen didn't necessarily do him a favor. The first Montrose album absolutely rips! Voted for just plain ol' Hagar, though.

Love the '66 T-Bird on the record cover.